Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is unlimited?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how "limited" Imagine Wimax "unlimited" download (FUP) is? I moved from a 60Gb download DSL contract (with Imagine) to the unlimited WiMax (with Imagine) so I did suppose that I would get at least more than 60Gb, right?

I have had twice now that they accuse me of downloading too much, but they refuse to tell me how much is too much. Does anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

santing wrote: »
    Does anyone know how "limited" Imagine Wimax "unlimited" download (FUP) is? I moved from a 60Gb download DSL contract (with Imagine) to the unlimited WiMax (with Imagine) so I did suppose that I would get at least more than 60Gb, right?

I have had twice now that they accuse me of downloading too much, but they refuse to tell me how much is too much. Does anyone know?

There are numerous threads in the Broadband forum on this topic mainly in relation to its use by UPC. My own view (repeated elsewhere ad nauseam I know:rolleyes:) is that any isp advetising an unlimited product with any qualification whatsoever is attempting to deceive is actual and prospective customers. The word "unlimited" has a specific meaning which cannot be qualified.

Now that you have found out that you have been deceived you can make a formal complaint to comreg about your isp's non compliance with Comreg's policy on these products.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/my_service_provider_has_advertised_an_%22unlimited_package%22___what_does_this_mean_for_me.5.154.LE.asp
    My Service Provider has advertised an "unlimited package" - what does this mean for me?
    A number of telephone and broadband packages being offered are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a subscriber, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as he or she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the subscriber. This is referred to as a “fair usage policy” in some advertising.

ComReg would like to advise consumers that any provision of a contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’.

Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they may be updated or amended.

ComReg expects each service provider to implement a clear, transparent and policy for dealing with customer usage above any set thresholds. The policy should set out the rules for contract termination, including penalties, the charges that shall apply for any use above the threshold/limit, and the policy regarding migration of the customer to other packages, if applicable.

The bolded emphasis is mine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think it's 30GB

UPC will have a residential package of 100-120Mb next year
    which would hit 30GB in about 40 minutes

don't get me started on Eircom's next generation broadband when they are rolling out Gigabit in Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

I think it's 30GB
    I got good news here. Imagine told me yesterday that it was 600Gb. The bad news was that they insisted I had downloaded that much in 25 days using my 3Mbs service...
    Even ComReg believes them.

I got good news here. Imagine told me yesterday that it was 600Gb. The bad news was that they insisted I had downloaded that much in 25 days using my 3Mbs service...
    Even ComReg believes them.

Do they provide you with a download monitor? What evidence did they produce? How did Comreg tell you that they believed Imagine? Did you ask Comreg for a copy of the evidence that Imagine provided to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If You got the full 3mbit speed continuously with no slowdowns, I calculate You could download a possible 810GB in 25 days running 24/7, 1.35GB per hour. But with the posts on here complaining about speeds and contention, doubt their network is capable of 600GB per month on a 3mbit package

• Advertisement

Yes, I also complained that it is impossible that I was downloading 24x7 at top speed. The 3Mbs is a maximum, not a guarantee after all.

They did not provide me with any backup. Imagine says it is nearly impossible to get this data (sic), they do not provide access to the router (that most likely has the data).

ComReg emailed me an update, and that the case was closed.

Yes, I also complained that it is impossible that I was downloading 24x7 at top speed. The 3Mbs is a maximum, not a guarantee after all.

They did not provide me with any backup. Imagine says it is nearly impossible to get this data (sic), they do not provide access to the router (that most likely has the data).

ComReg emailed me an update, and that the case was closed.

If it is impossible to get the data how can they claim what amount you downloaded?

What exactly was the wording of the complaint you made to Comreg?

dub45 wrote: »
    If it is impossible to get the data how can they claim what amount you downloaded?

What exactly was the wording of the complaint you made to Comreg?
    My initial complaint was about
    • Not having the promised 7Mbs
    • Not specifying what the FUP was
    • Cripling my service after telling me that I downloaded to much.
    Over time, dealing with Imagine, my complaint became more targeted - and ComReg was CCed on those mails. Maybe I should create a new complaint.

Did you register it as a formal complaint?

Have they posted what the cap is on the website?

Yes, I posted it as a formal complaint and it was accepted as such.
    I got today an overview of my download activities for the last month, and they said see, you downloaded 800Gb last month.
    They can't read their own reports though... The report is cumulative, so if you download 2 Gb each day, you end up with 62 Gb in 31 days. If - as Imagine insist you should do - you add it all up you get 992 Gb in that case.
    I asked Imagine how I could have downloaded 60Gb during the last 5 days when they had crippled my download speed to less than 500 kbs ... there aren't enough hours in a day to do that!
    They haven't come back on that, and I did ask ComReg again...

• Advertisement
Advertisement