Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting house questions

Options
  • 26-11-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I went to see a house today and I just wanted to ask a few questions.
    Firstly the house is a 2bed detached house. The rent is 750/Month.
    The rent in the area for 2 bed houses seems to range from 590 - 900euro. IS 750 reasonable or should I offer less?

Also I'm hoping to go to Canada this time next year if not a little sooner - is it possible to get 6 month leases and then extend them via a few months after that?

The house seemed perfect for what we want. A 15 minute drive to the city, a huge dog run out the back (I have 2 dogs), an almost secure garden (we were thinking we might put in a side gate as i'm not fond of the idea anyone can get access to my dogs - even if they are in a pen).
    The inside was a bit of a mess as the tenants were in the process of moving out.
    The walls and couch were a bit dirty so I asked could they be repainted and cleaned to which the estate agent didn't think there would be a problem.

On leaving I noticed the front door was a little rickity - I didn't say it at thhe time but were going back for a second look once the cleaners have been and the house painted/ccleaned so on second look if it still looks a little unstable I might ask for it to be replaced. Other than the cosmetic issues I think it was okay.

Are there any other major things I need to check for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

When it comes to making an offer on rented accomodation I will generally offer 75-100 below the asking price (depending on the price being asked) and will expect to end up paying no less than 50 below what they are asking for. There is definately room for negotiation in almost every case.

Before you move in or that week make out a snag list of every thing that is wrong with the house and that needs attention. Take as many photos as possible. Get the landlord to agree to fix what can be fixed and to sign for what cannot. This will help raise the quality of the accomodation and will make your life a lot easier when trying to get your deposit back.

From my experience most landlords will want a 1 year lease. My last place was a 1 year lease with a get out clause after 6 months (not sure why it wasnt just a 6 month lease to begin with but it worked out well for me in the end). You can chance your arm and ask but dont be surprised if they are not up for it. Then again maybe if you offer them their asking price and have excellent references they might be a bit more taken on the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

From experience don't be suprised to find landlords asking for a higher rent if you're looking for a shorter lease.

Advertisement