Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken laptop screen file recovery

• 26-11-2010 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Ok here I go I don't know what forum to put this in but I need help my daughter dropped her laptop and cracked the screen we can see nothing is there any way of getting the files off the laptop she needs them for school Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you're any way technical literate you could buy a replacement screen on eBay and replace/repair it yourself.

Also if you need the files off it urgently I'd get a "caddy". It's like a dock for hard drives. (Be sure to get one for laptop drives!)

What you do is remove the hard drive from the laptop and put it in to this. Then it connects via usb to another PC reading it as a removable disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

There are a couple of different ways. Firstly if you have another monitor you should most likely be able to plug in your daughters laptop and use the monitor as a screen, almost all laptops have some sort of video out, be it a vga, dvi, hdmi or displayport.

If that isn't okay then you could also remove the harddrive from the laptop and plug it into another computer. You would either need a hard drive caddy or if you have a desktop a free sata or pata port depending on the hard disk type. After that you just need to make sure you aren't booting from it(in the case you put it into a desktop) and you can use it just like an external drive. You may also need to override some permissions to actually get to the files.

Hope this helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You plug in an external monitor, using a dvi or vga out port on the laptop.PRESS fn and f sumthing key,to turn on vga/dvi out port ,external vga output, eg fn plus f7,fn plus f8, f9,f5,f6, eg look for function key with tv, or square logo on it.
    Goole turn on external display vga windows xp.fn key is near ,lower part of keyboard, near z key or m key, depends on the keyboard layout, laptop brand.EG PRESS FN and f7 key simultaenously.on an old vga monitor,you may need to get a dvi out to vga ,convertor cost 4 euro maplins, size 2 x 1 inch approx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Lads thanks a million I was wondering if it could be read as an external drive I will take on board all info and at least now I know all is not lost so me and my very thankfull daughter says thanks for good news and the help

Advertisement