Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokias new superphone leaked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Superphone? It's running Symbian. That takes the super away instantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Meego better be worth the wait.

For Nokia's sake.

Not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Meego better be worth the wait.

For Nokia's sake.

Not ours.
    That E7 is like my perfect phone if it wasnt for Symbian :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The phone above is n9 and one below is x7. Nowhere near the word smartphone till they ditch symbian

The phone above is n9 and one below is x7. Nowhere near the word smartphone till they ditch symbian
    Nope its the E7 :)

look : http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e7-pictures-3545.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

the new phone is actually the X7

jimmynokia wrote: »
    the new phone is actually the X7
    i know that,

not overly interesting though, pretty boring IMO, its still Symbian, it will still suck

im talking about the slider one, the one on top

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I wouldn't touch this phone, but despite it's piss-poor UI the underlying OS has still got far more right to be called a smartphone than any current win phone 7 device.

I wouldn't touch this phone, but despite it's piss-poor UI the underlying OS has still got far more right to be called a smartphone than any current win phone 7 device.

Where did i mention windows phone 7 in my post lol? I would call my hd2 with its original windows mobile with htc sense more of a smartphone than Symbian is now and windows mobile is lmao BAD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sadly I've absolutely no interest in Nokia anymore when their phones were the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Sadly I've absolutely no interest in Nokia anymore when their phones were the best.

Each to their own, but got to ask why you're commenting on something you've absolutely no interest in ;)

I like this round of phones (C7,E7,X7,N8,C6-01) very much, and I think they're going to do well for Nokia. I bought my N8 on the basis of the hardware, and the upcoming firmware, due in February. I'll live with some of the niggles until then.

There are some slight changes to that X7 compared to N8, btw - the application icons are much bigger in the list than on the N8, but it looks to be mostly the same.

KrisW wrote: »
    Each to their own, but got to ask why you're commenting on something you've absolutely no interest in ;)

I like this round of phones (C7,E7,X7,N8,C6-01) very much, and I think they're going to do well for Nokia. I bought my N8 on the basis of the hardware, and the upcoming firmware, due in February. I'll live with some of the niggles until then.

There are some slight changes to that X7 compared to N8, btw - the application icons are much bigger in the list than on the N8, but it looks to be mostly the same.
    What updated firmware?

Two updates coming: First by year end with some performance and stability fixes, then by February a major revision including a new browser (sorely needed), keyboard (welcome) and Maps application. There's been no confirmation of what's in each release, so some things could appear earlier.

Browser, Keyboard and UI: http://vimeo.com/16591421.

Nokia have confirmed that Swype will be part of the update, so the keyboard in that video will be different in the release.

Maps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MkKF_71jPjs

The new maps application is currently available from Nokia's Beta programme, but I would not recommend it for general users (the installation is a little complicated, and if you stuff it up, you lose your factory-installed maps).

By the way, that X7 has a slightly different UI/shell to the N8. There are four homescreens, not three, and the application icons are bigger than on N8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    What updated firmware?

The one that may be released or maybe it won't. After the shocking length of time it took Nokia to update the 5800 firmware I wouldn't touch any product from them with a bargepole, if paid and under a blue moon.

Two updates coming: First by year end with some performance and stability fixes, then by February a major revision including a new browser (sorely needed), keyboard (welcome) and Maps application. There's been no confirmation of what's in each release, so some things could appear earlier.

Browser, Keyboard and UI: http://vimeo.com/16591421.

Nokia have confirmed that Swype will be part of the update, so the keyboard in that video will be different in the release.

Maps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MkKF_71jPjs

The new maps application is currently available from Nokia's Beta programme, but I would not recommend it for general users (the installation is a little complicated, and if you stuff it up, you lose your factory-installed maps).

By the way, that X7 has a slightly different UI/shell to the N8. There are four homescreens, not three, and the application icons are bigger than on N8.
    Question is why did Nokia release the N8 with half baked software?

All there phones released over the last few years have suffered from major software issues.

I think they ran out of time, and had to hide the rough edges as best they could and ship what they had. (I have no insider info, btw, just a lot of years experience working in the software industry)

The rest of this post gets technical. Sorry.

My own opinion about the delays is that it was due to Nokia abandoning their native-Symbian UI libraries and adopting Qt instead - this may have happened during the development of the software, or it may have been planned for a later generation, but brought forward to N8 by management if it was seen that the work to date wasn't going to be competitive.

Qt is the application framework Nokia bought in 2008 when they acquired Trolltech. All of the new applications on the N8 (Maps, Music player, photos) are written with Qt; the others are carryovers from S60. Qt applications have full access to GPU acceleration and so run faster, but that's not the big deal: the big deal is that Qt is also cross-platform, and so Qt applications written for N8 will also run on future, Meego-powered handsets. (It's also possible to run Qt applications on other platforms, like iPhone or Android, by the way...)

The latest release of the Qt framework, 4.7 was only finished in September. This is pre-installed on the N8, and this includes some really cool stuff that will make it very easy to develop on. I think there was a desire to get this release in as part of the N8 firmware, because not doing it would have led to compatibility issues with later handsets: there would have been a "Symbian^3" (older Qt) and a "Symbian^4" (with 4.7); now, there's just "Symbian" with Qt, and developers don't have to care about the details.

In the effort to get this tied together, manpower had to be cut elsewhere, and I'd guess it was from the browser replacement.

That doesn't explain why they didn't delay further, but that's a lot simpler to answer: The phone had to be released when it was, because Nokia had promised their investors that they'd have this handset out by end of Q3, 2010. End of story.

Those with longer memories will remember Microsoft having to do the same with Vista in 2007 (and Windows Me back in 1999), and Apple doing the same with MacOS X 10.0 and 10.1 back in 2000--2001. I'd say the N8's software is in way better shape than any of those releases were...

Doesnt make it acceptable :/ My HTC Desire has been rock solid since day 1, same goes for the Blackberry i had before it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I'd say the N8's software is in way better shape than any of those releases were...

ye but in the case of Vista and OS X 10.0 you had no real alternative to jump to, were as there are a vast number of different phones to go too all doing a better job then symbian.

My problem is the the same as Win mobile 7, why would I put up with a buggy OS now when I can get a working one instead? Yes there maybe updates to solve the problems down the line but until they come out I won't go near them.

Right regarding the software being buggy. EVERY software has bugs. It always had and it always will. Just the thing that is different is how many of them.

Android had bugs when it came out and still does
    iPhone had bugs when it came out and still does
    Windows Phone 7 had bugs when it came out and still to be fixed on next update.
    XP had bugs
    Vista had bugs
    Mac OSx had bugs
    Windows 7 had bugs

Thats how software works. No one can spot the bug until some one reports it.

• Advertisement

Right regarding the software being buggy. EVERY software has bugs. It always had and it always will. Just the thing that is different is how many of them.

Android had bugs when it came out and still does
    iPhone had bugs when it came out and still does
    Windows Phone 7 had bugs when it came out and still to be fixed on next update.
    XP had bugs
    Vista had bugs
    Mac OSx had bugs
    Windows 7 had bugs

Thats how software works. No one can spot the bug until some one reports it.
    Yes thats a valid point, but Symbian doesnt even look like its making progress on those bugs, theres been massive bugs on almost every Symbian phone when its released. A phone shouldnt need an update to make it usable.

Really has to call Nokia's QA into question

Doesnt make it acceptable :/ My HTC Desire has been rock solid since day 1, same goes for the Blackberry i had before it
    As has my N8. N8's software problems are superficial: all of the functions are there, and working, but the interface needs work.

Personally, I think Android and Windows Mobile suffer the opposite problem: slick appearance, missing functionality. Apple dodge the ball by dispensing with functionality whenever it conflicts with user experience.

As for the delays being acceptable, no they weren't acceptable. However, the foundations are now attractive, the UI issues are being fixed, and there is clarity about what's happening in future. For developers, this is more important than a two-month delay in delivery.

Windows Mobile has its wrong in its appearance but HTC improved that with sense which was quite successful through WinMo and Android Handsets.

Regarding N8 my college mate has it. And in some system application it starts to lag like ****

Right regarding the software being buggy. EVERY software has bugs.

Sorry rather then buggy I should of "complete enough to give me the UI that I would expect in this day and age"

Symbian has had an awful UI for 3 years i doubt the changes are gonna be huge, more than likely they will be very minor.

I highly disagree with you about the Android UI, ever since 2.0 its been exellent

yeah but look at this. Alot of people are saying the UI is ****. Now these are only the people that bother going on forums and discussing it. Most people wouldnt give a **** cause their used to it. And they like the fact that once they get a new phone they can jump right into it and use it because they know the UI.

Now what i think is the reasonable thing to do is make a complete separate smartphone division. Low end and mid end Nokia devices to go as they always have been and Nokia to start on a complete new OS and start it as an asset of the company under a different name.

Its just branding that people care about. You can see it in the automotive industry everyday. Same cars designed and manufactured by one company under different branding.

As has my N8. N8's software problems are superficial: all of the functions are there, and working, but the interface needs work.

Personally, I think Android and Windows Mobile suffer the opposite problem: slick appearance, missing functionality. Apple dodge the ball by dispensing with functionality whenever it conflicts with user experience.

As for the delays being acceptable, no they weren't acceptable. However, the foundations are now attractive, the UI issues are being fixed, and there is clarity about what's happening in future. For developers, this is more important than a two-month delay in delivery.

An N8 user talking about missing functionality on an Android Device lol.

Care to enlighten us as to what the Android devices are missing?

Venom wrote: »
    An N8 user talking about missing functionality on an Android Device lol.

Care to enlighten us as to what the Android devices are missing?
    lol true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No you're wrong.

Symbian phones are what people would call low end smartphones or primitive smartphones. They offer little or nothing over Android (Or Windows Phone 7 I suppose) and only offer disadvantages. When I had my Nokia N95, you could truly call Symbian a smartphone platform. It had applications (As rough and difficult to install as they were...), it had WiFi and a web browser and basic email functionality that was difficult to set up but relatively easy to use. People called it a handheld laptop and they were right in a sense. It was powerful for its time but the software was far too rough around the edges to match a laptop.

Take the web browser for example, I can browse on my Desire (Using the stock browser no less) for hours on end with excellent performance and full flash. On a symbian phone i'd suffer countless freezes and bad performance as well as the "Choose your connection" rubbish that seemed to pop up every page or two.

• Advertisement

Most people wouldnt give a **** cause their used to it. And they like the fact that once they get a new phone they can jump right into it and use it because they know the UI.

but this is Nokia's problem now. They are only able to get people who are used to symbians. It's unlikely people will go back to it once they have used WIn 7, android or iOS but people are still leaving it so the pool of people willing to buy the high end Nokia phones keeps getting smaller and smaller.

In relation to starting with a new OS they already did this with Maemo but it only ever produced 1 phone and then they went and changed it to Meego which Nokia haven't released any phones with yet, however it does look promising and I really hope is a success as I really do like some of Nokia's hardware

Advertisement