Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starters & Desserts!!

Options
  • 26-11-2010 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey I'm looking after the starters and desserts for Christmas dinner for 3 children and 7 adults this year - any suggestions would be much appreciated!thanks in advance!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Were you thinking of keeping it traditional or no?

There's a brownie recipe that looks pretty good in the Cooking Club, although I guess they'd be quite heavy for post-Christmas dinner. I'm sure the kids would still love them though! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055894830

I'm a fan of Eton Mess after a heavy meal. It's light, sweet, and so very simple. Only thing is that it's more of a summery type dessert as it's strawberries, whipped cream and meringue.

I've no suggestions for starters besides the obvious melon, soup, prawn cocktail etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A sea food platter is traditional in our house - Smoked salmon, crab and prawns, maybe some lobster, usually with some salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I think starters should be simple, and need no preparation on the day.

No one needs a heavy filling starter when the meal is going to be HUGE.

A range of pates is good - traditional chicken liver pate, smoked mackerel pate, hummus is a good mix.

I dont bother with dessert for the adults- cake and pudding is enough.
    The kids will be happy with anything - chocolates, cake, christmas themed cookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

A sea food platter is traditional in our house - Smoked salmon, crab and prawns, maybe some lobster, usually with some salad.

Exactly what we have,maybe some smoked trout in there too. Served with a little bit of lettuce,cherry tomatoes and home made marie rose sauce. We have home made soup before it,it's lovely.

Advertisement