Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opening soft drink bottles? Am I doing it wrong?..

• 26-11-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

I've noticed today, that as a right handed person, I seem to open soft drink bottles differently to any other righties.

I grab the bottle with my right hand and twist the top with my left; while I see other people doing the opposite and twisting with their right hands. This looks extremely awkward and looks as though they're twisting their wrists beyond breaking point.

So what is up? (homies).

Was I brought up wrong by my folks?

Anytime guys, see you soon.

Comments

Open it with your teeth, obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd say you swing both ways!

Lucky you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I really couldn't do it with my teeth. Yargh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

You should be worried that something like this bothers you so much.

karlog wrote: »
    You should be worried that something like this bothers you so much.

I'm extremely worried about this.

End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fart wrote: »
    So what is up? .

did you accidentally the whole bottle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't pay much attention to which way I open a bottle. I suppose if a lid is screwed on tightly it would be easier to open with your right hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

haha i open it like that and im a rightie
    im not worries about it at all, its easier for me cos ive to hold the bottle still with my right hand, my strongest and steadiest hand
    theres no "wrong" way to open a bottle, its just a bottle :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

You're using the southpaw method. I'm a lefty, and it always seemed natural to open it that way.

Opening the imaginary bottle I'm holding here in my left hand and twisting with the other hand, seems very awkward. You have to twist backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm right handed, I hold the bottle with my right hand.

• Advertisement

did you accidentally the whole bottle?

GAH!

That's just not funny. It wasn't funny the first time someone said it, it's not funny now that you're saying it.

It's. Just. Not. Funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Opening the bottle with your left hand?

Freaks!!

It's not natural, etc etc. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I've noticed today, that as a right handed person, I seem to open soft drink bottles differently to any other righties.

I grab the bottle with my right hand and twist the top with my left; while I see other people doing the opposite and twisting with their right hands. This looks extremely awkward and looks as though they're twisting their wrists beyond breaking point.

So what is up? (homies).

I open everything with lids like that. Never noticed other people opening stuff though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I do that too as a righty. It's easier to grasp in the left palm and turn it anti clockwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm a lefty and I open the cap with my right.

Does this make me unique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I'm a lefty and I open the cap with my right.

Does this make me unique?

no, I do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I'm a righty and I hold the cap in the left hand. I think when I was younger I used to find if I did it the other way round I would squeeze the bottle too hard and spill the drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

no, I do that
    yup,me too. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

So what is up? (homies).

I'm pretty positive almost every right handed person holds the bottle with their right and twists cap with left and visa versa for lefties.

You just seemed to have happened upon a lot of thirsty left handed people in a short space of time OP. My advice is to burn your house down to fake your death and move to San Salvador under an assumed identity. Clearly the lefties have it in for you and have been keeping you under close surveillance. Looks like you have been giving them quite the run around, hence their need to rehydrate frequently. But this is not a long term strategy. Burn the house, don't use any accelerants, they have means of detecting this. Burn the house, then wait for us to contact you. Good luck.

strobe wrote: »
    I'm pretty positive almost every right handed person holds the bottle with their right and twists cap with left and visa versa for lefties.

You just seemed to have happened upon a lot of thirsty left handed people in a short space of time OP. My advice is to burn your house down to fake your death and move to San Salvador under an assumed identity. Clearly the lefties have it in for you and have been keeping you under close surveillance. Looks like you have been giving them quite the run around, hence their need to rehydrate frequently. But this is not a long term strategy. Burn the house, don't use any accelerants, they have means of detecting this. Burn the house, then wait for us to contact you. Good luck.

:confused:

Dude??!!?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

We can grip small things more tightly with our dominant hand. So if the top is tight, we will use our dominant hand. Otherwise, we don't really care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

GAH!

That's just not funny. It wasn't funny the first time someone said it, it's not funny now that you're saying it.

It's. Just. Not. Funny.

Of course it's not funny. Some people, who have no legitimate sense of humour, think that if they say something stupid enough times and act like it's funny then it becomes funny. What's more they feel like this sort of "in crowd" that "understands" and that "gets" the joke, when there was never the slightest hint of joke there to begin with.

I think it works like this: Supposing one person posts "I accidentally such and such", now lots of people start laughing because they're cool and they know it's the "in" thing to laugh at this. Another one of them coming along and has no idea what's going on, but the next time he sees it and associates that with laughing and people acting amused. Sort of like how a dog associates rewards with certain behaviours. So in the future, when they see this thing, they'll see that as their cue to laugh. "HURR HURRR HURRR, HE SAID I ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE BOTTLE HURR HURRR".

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Adzer81

im left handed too and open it with my right hand so I would agree with the dominent hand statement :D most things are designed for right-handed people but I dont see how this could be the case for a bottle :rolleyes: its some drink for thought hurr hurr :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

am i the only person who's having problems trying to visualise how I actually open a bottle :o

I shall take note tomorrow when the shops open ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I'm right handed.....I hold the bottle in my left and unscrew with my right....Freaks!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm right handed but I could use either to open a bottle. If the bottle is already unsealed I sometimes just use one hand. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Of course it's not funny. Some people, who have no legitimate sense of humour, think that if they say something stupid enough times and act like it's funny then it becomes funny. What's more they feel like this sort of "in crowd" that "understands" and that "gets" the joke, when there was never the slightest hint of joke there to begin with.

I think it works like this: Supposing one person posts "I accidentally such and such", now lots of people start laughing because they're cool and they know it's the "in" thing to laugh at this. Another one of them coming along and has no idea what's going on, but the next time he sees it and associates that with laughing and people acting amused. Sort of like how a dog associates rewards with certain behaviours. So in the future, when they see this thing, they'll see that as their cue to laugh. "HURR HURRR HURRR, HE SAID I ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE BOTTLE HURR HURRR".

Idiots.

^^^I didnt lol once reading this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

BBDBB wrote: »
    ^^^I didnt lol once reading this

You weren't suppose to lol. Not everything is a god damn joke. Why can I not speak seriously about something like this? I mean, how on earth could you get from that that I was trying to be funny?

You weren't suppose to lol. Not everything is a god damn joke. Why can I not speak seriously about something like this? I mean, how on earth could you get from that that I was trying to be funny?

now that ^^^ was funny:D

• Advertisement

Some people are just idiots.

some are just pretending:)

BBDBB wrote: »
    some are just pretending:)

Pretending to be idiots?

yeah, sometimes

although some arent

they just think they are

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Calm down. Humour is subjective. No need to fling insults at each other over a throw away joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

THE WORLD IS F*CKED!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

When my hero, Michael Scofield, wants to relax with a cool beverage, he just plans ahead to when he wants a coke and follows these simple instructions:

http://www.ulillillia.us/tipsntricks/bottledsodatrick.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm left handed and I open bottle with my right.

Now I'm very worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm right handed but always open bottles, doors, jars etc with my left. Always wondered if I was actually left handed but I just seem to be ambidextrous as I am two footed

Note: Etc includes **** :D Feels wrong with my right hand :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I'm right handed. I hold the bottle in my left and and unscrew with my right.

I don't get the suggestion that this would lead to my right wrist reaching breaking-point. I do it in stages. Rotate the bottle when it's uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Note: Etc includes **** :D Feels wrong with my right hand :pac:

I'm a lefty, and the only thing I do right-handed is fap. I could never work that one out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement