Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty on ring bought abroad.

Options
  • 26-11-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello,
    Does anyone know if you have to pay excise duty (or import tax - whatever) if I but a diamond engagement ring abroad and bring it into Ireland. Heard of someone who was charged an excise duty for importing, even though it was for personal use. Like the way you pay import tax buying stuff from amazon.
    Wouldn’t want that.
    If anybody knows it would be appreciated as that would make a ring more expensive and eliminate any benefit from shopping abroad. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

where are you thinking of buying it from?? in the EU or outside it?? you get charged duty on import stuff from outside but not sure what percentage you get charged. usually the companies send the ring by courier who declares the value and you get the extra on top of the price, only way around it really is if you have a contact in whatever country you're thinking of buying it and getting them to mail it privately.
    i bought my missus one off bluenile who are in england and thought they offered great value, check them out and see what your budget would get you

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Are you talking about buying online? It it's outside the EU then yes, chances are you will have to pay duty. You might get away with it but in this climate they're going to get everyone for everything they can.

Advertisement