Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Paranormal forum under "Recreation" ?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Of course the skeptics find the Paranormal forum funny in a recreational sort of way, where people see a curtain in their house moving in the wind and think it's their mother talking to them, but to those die hard Paranormalists who believe there may be some truth to Nessie and Cryptozoology and ghosts and talking to the dead etc... why is your forum under "Rec" ?

I frequent the Atheism forum and I've seen the regular users there ask for it to be moved out of the "Religion' category. If you believe there is some truth to your ghostly bumps in the night then why not ask feedback to move it somewhere like science for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

really, who cares? plenty of actual skeptics find the 'skeptics' forum absolutely hilarious with all them there self praising 'critical thinkers' - but what odds is it where the forum resides? Maybe you really should ask for a Pedantic Forum? Then this thread could go in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

wheres the pseudo-science forum???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Where would you suggest it go? It's really the only thing that fits well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Since when was it a sport?

Urizen wrote: »
    Where would you suggest it go? It's really the only thing that fits well.

i was just joshin' ya home-slice :D tbh, this is the only place it fits!its a recreational activity, the pursuit/study of those things paranormal!it may sometimes employ techniques or apparatus that appear scientific, but don't actually adhere to any scientific criterion!tis just a hobby, an interest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

leddpipe wrote: »
    i was just joshin' ya home-slice :D tbh, this is the only place it fits!its a recreational activity, the pursuit/study of those things paranormal!it may sometimes employ techniques or apparatus that appear scientific, but don't actually adhere to any scientific criterion!tis just a hobby, an interest!

I was actually talking to the OP... But hey, whatever! :D

Urizen wrote: »
    I was actually talking to the OP... But hey, whatever! :D

Consider that my two cents then :P

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This has been asked before, but a good while ago. Iirc, it was felt that this was the best place for it. After all, it is more about hobbies and recreation than belief systems, which are covered elsewhere. And if you want it in science, then the whole raison d'etre of the forum would be changed. It would have pretty much a full on skeptical tone. While some might like that, it would alienate a whole lot of other interesting posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Oryx wrote: »
    it would alienate a whole lot of other interesting posters.

translation: some of the nutters wouldnt be able to find it :p

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Grimes wrote: »
    translation: some of the nutters wouldnt be able to find it :p
    You've never had any trouble.

Seriously, if the skeptics want a place to knock all the subjects posted here, they already have it, the cat it is in is immaterial. And the people who just want to chat about weird stuff without having to worry about whether it is scientifically credible, have that too.

So unless a lot more people start to complain that the placement is flawed, I guess paranormal stays recreational. I see very little feedback that suggests a change is needed, so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement