Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Thundersnow & Chat - 26/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

EI104 got in fine. EI136 is now holding until the runway has been treated. Uhoh here we go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looking at Raintoday most of Dublin is in for a massive pasting from around 8.30 give or take an hour !

136703.jpg

Think I am going to try and get a few hours sleep now,

Jesus , just looking at that , it looks like waterford may be getting in on some of the action , well I never , The snow shield must be down when there sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EIDW 270430Z 31008KT 8000 TSSN SCT007 BKN018CB BKN140 M01/M01 Q1007 TEMPO 2500 BKN005

EIDW - The weather reporting station's ID, EIDW is Dublin Airport

270430Z - Time of reading - 27th day of the current month, 04:30Z (GMT)

31008KT - Wind direction and speed - 360 is North, I don't know if 310 is NW or NE though, and speed is 8 knots

8000 - I don't know

TSSN - The current weather, TS = Thunderstorm and SN = Snow

SCT007 - Sky conditions, SCT = 3/8th-4/8ths covered, 007 = hundreds of feet, so 700ft

BKN18CB = Sky conditions, broken coverage at 1800ft, Cumulonimbus formation type of cloud

BKN140 - Sky conditions, broken coverage at 14,000ft

M01/M01 - Temperate and dew-point. M is minus, so current temp and dew point is -1C

TEMPO 2500 BKN005 - This is trend information, temporary visibility, 2500m with broken clouds at 500ft?

I think that's right, but I am new to METAR decoding :D

*Edit: I need more practice, in the time it took me to post that there were 3 other posters already finished :p*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 angusdeaton

Bedtime. It's been real. Can;t wait to see what it's like tomorrow.... If we're still here.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Yeah 5:00am - must try and sleep now folks will need some so I can enjoy the rest of :

"Boards Snow Watch 2010"
    il_fullxfull.53673475.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Thought it was over for now, but just had another huge flash outside. Barely any thunder though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I'd love for this to be explained;
    I spent a good few hours down by dublin ports observing the hours and hours of lightning. There was a one MASSIVE blue/white flash which seemed to surround everywhere but accross the bay I could see what looked like towards bray/wicklow clouds constantly flickering orange/yellow and flashing. I wasnt alone on this and we stood in amazement at this weird weird thing continue for atleast 25seconds, while thunder rumbling vigourosly.

Hands down, strangest thing I've ever seen.

Big flash, no thunder and it's been over a minute now. The tail end of the storm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Can anyone confirm SOUTHERLY winds in the south Dublin area? (particularly Dublin 2 and 4. A flag i can see is clearly being blown by a southerly wind, while the clouds are coming from northeast...

Not sure how to explain it, some sort of circulation or convergence zone effect? I'm only guessing here. It's been like this for the last half hour.

look at the met.ie radar in south dublin it looks like its turnin and movin nw

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I'd love for this to be explained;
    I spent a good few hours down by dublin ports observing the hours and hours of lightning. There was a one MASSIVE blue/white flash which seemed to surround everywhere but accross the bay I could see what looked like towards bray/wicklow clouds constantly flickering orange/yellow and flashing. I wasnt alone on this and we stood in amazement at this weird weird thing continue for atleast 25seconds, while thunder rumbling vigourosly.

Hands down, strangest thing I've ever seen.

Cloud to cloud lightning being eclipsed by other uninvolved cloud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

2 more flashes and loud boom in blanch in the last fifteen minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

if any1 tok any pics r vids of the lightning could they please upload them later 2day, make me even more jealous:(

lolie wrote: »
    if any1 tok any pics r vids of the lightning could they please upload them later 2day, make me even more jealous:(

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69242715&postcount=5

These make me jealous and I've been hanging out my window for two hours and saw nothing like this, just the "sheet and bang" stuff as usual.

Cloud to cloud lightning being eclipsed by other uninvolved cloud?

It almost looked like a 25second fireball exploding over the area.

HungryJoey wrote: »
    It almost looked like a 25second fireball exploding over the area.

:eek: Wow, I should have been down near Poolbeg by the sounds of it :(

Hail coming down heavey in blanch again. I'm just in from dublin port observing the whole night. Very interesting activity.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69242715&postcount=5

These make me jealous and I've been hanging out my window for two hours and saw nothing like this, just the "sheet and bang" stuff as usual.

serious stuff, im even more jealous now. what i'd to be underneath that storm. no bloody sign of snow ere either, same auld story:mad: time for blanket street me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

place jus went from clear skies to a blanket of snow this past 5mins bit mad seems to hav stopped now tough yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Odd the way there's nothing more than a mutter of thunder given the enormous (and fairly close) flashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Blizzard conditions in Dublin 15 now!!! Whiteout:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

it was doing that here for ages just flashes of lightning in the distance then two huge rumbles of thunder after that it snowed no more flashes or thunder since then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

went to be very early yesterday evening, just woke up there to see it snowing heavily outside and enough on the ground to see its been at it for hours. then about 5 minutes ago there was a flash and a big long roll of thunder :eek:

id be happy only im meant to go to dublin in the morning.

EDIT: more thunder just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Started here in Lexlipe hail and snow and heavy. about time.:D:D:D:D:D

All quiet in D9, no snow/hail/rain/lightning or thunder. Time for sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

snowing in leixlip! not huge flakes but its sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

rathdrum having loads of thunder/lighting snow and a covering of about 3 - 5cm. Got the winter tyres fitted last week. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Blizzard conditions in Dublin 15 now!!! Whiteout:D:D:D:D:D:D

Eek Some 24 hours! Some start to the winter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

JJJJNR wrote: »
    rathdrum having loads of thunder/lighting snow and a covering of about 3 - 5cm. Got the winter tyres fitted last week. Happy days.

It the sames donw here in wicklow town :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

SnowShield working a treat down here near Moate. Clear dry night. Frosty. This set up is no good for much of the midlands, all we can hope for are a few rogue showers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement