Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Thundersnow & Chat - 26/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

HUGE Lumps of snow are now fallin in Co.Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like in Derry city and how possible it would be to drive there from Dundalk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

that is very impressive i have to say. is this due to the milder irish sea?

Yep Munster, the colder the air passing over the warmer the water is a good ingredient for creating instability in the atmosphere hence the amount of lightening strikes recorded in those regions. Uplift upon reaching the Wiclow hills would certainly have been a big factor as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Not really sticking very well here now despite it being heavy snow . . .:(

Change here - really sticking now, grass more or less covered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

stopped snowing in north wexford i can see the blue sky
    NO NO NO NO SNOW COME BACK :(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Kudos to MT Cranium for saying several days ago that the Irish Sea snow showers would be beefy. If this snow was any more beefy it would be mooing.

Shame on Met Eireann for not even mentioning this in their morning forecast. No mention of east Munster for snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Still very heavy here atm, temp and dewpoint way down aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Snow stopped here, somewhere around 3 inches.

Basically I am snowed in as I would need a four wheel drive to get off the hill and no I am not going to use the tractor to go into town...

I have food supplies ordered as I expect a lot more snow to come and not much thaw for higher ground.

Have to bring in the rest of the cattle as their food is covered by that white inconvenience :p
    I did notice the cattle that are out and despite having plenty of grass yesterday were not very happy so they much have suspected the snow like the Donegal postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

for all those even thinking of venturing out for a "drive" towards rathdrum,"DON'T",it is lethal,no matter how good your driving experience is,
    ive been on the roads since 7.30 this morning(with a 4wd) and once you go a mile or two off the national routes,you are into a world you cant control,
    you only have yourself to blame if you end up in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Shame on Met Eireann for not even mentioning this in their morning forecast. No mention of east Munster for snow.

Yeah it is all east Leinster...not a problem as they are affected but in the south east we have southern Leinster and eastern Munster affected badly too.

I get a bit fed up with the east Leinster forecasts as they only paint part of the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yep Munster, the colder the air passing over the warmer the water is a good ingredient for creating instability in the atmosphere hence the amount of lightening strikes recorded in those regions. Uplift upon reaching the Wiclow hills would certainly have been a big factor as well :)

paddy1 did you see the lightning last night. it was spectacular!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Another clip taken about 15 mins ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyaW9UXY4Ew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

a a flurry of snow in cork earlier, well for about a minute. bah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Lovely thick fluffy snow here in Kilcock, hasn't snowed since at least 8.30 when I woke up. Plus it's sunny, bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, it's good to read that people who are usually snow deprived are getting to see some of the white stuff today.

paddy1 did you see the lightning last night. it was spectacular!

Nope Nacho but thought I did see a distant flash before I went to be, put it down to fireworks or something like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Are likely to see anything over the weekend worthwhile from this spell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Did anyone think of getting any videos of the lightning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

This is making up for all the no Snow events over the years :D

You said it boi! :D

Tipping down again just now!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

This is the most snow Ive ever seen. It's unbelievable, much more than last year! Currently at 7 inches and still falling. I'm South Kilkenny by the way at about 125m. I'd sa at higher levels it might reach a foot. I just saw a tractor struggling to get up the road.

8Si9g.jpg

More pictures in the pic thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

blizzard in wexford town again everything covererd.. again!

Lads how do i embed a youtube clip in a post?? Can link it ok but not embed it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

snow still lying here. what a night of weather we had, i thought when i was woken at 4 it was bad but around 730 i was woken by the thunder, then my bedroom lit up blue and i almost went deaf with the noise. hope we get more later

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Enjoying the snow ride so far, haven't had a total whiteout in Loughrea yet but still plenty lying around from yesterday evening :)

Due to drive to Kilkenny after 7 this evening, just wondering what the road conditions are likely to be, no snow has fallen here since yesterday evening but I'm more worried about what they'll be like once I get towards KK itself, any thoughts?

Lads how do i embed a youtube clip in a post?? Can link it ok but not embed it :confused:

Mick, paste in anything that comes after the 'V=' on the youtube video url address on the youtube option tab

(that option on reply box)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Huge, huge flakes. Very heavy snow there now.

Very dodgy walkin around out there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

lads has anyone seen the recent met eireann graphic?? is that system coming cork way??? cause it says waterford is currently experiencing ice pellets.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

hoody wrote: »
    Enjoying the snow ride so far, haven't had a total whiteout in Loughrea yet but still plenty lying around from yesterday evening :)

Due to drive to Kilkenny after 7 this evening, just wondering what the road conditions are likely to be, no snow has fallen here since yesterday evening but I'm more worried about what they'll be like once I get towards KK itself, any thoughts?

Well judging from some of the posts above, KK has quite a bit of snow. I don't know what the main roads are like, but coming from Galway, you're going to be travelling some dodgy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We've only had a small break from snow today, its been far worse than in January. I can usually see the city (Waterford) from where I am but its a white out :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    lads has anyone seen the recent met eireann graphic?? is that system coming cork way??? cause it says waterford is currently experiencing ice pellets.:confused:

yep looks like cork could get a dusting shortly:D

enjoy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement