Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Thundersnow & Chat - 26/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

What was with the lightening last night? Is that normal with snow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Sky have just said temps in parts of the uk could plummet to -15deg tonight.
    Cold air really setting in and taking hold. Progressively taking hold in Ireland with temps said to fall further over next few days. Most of the uk are on snow alert for this evening!
    Plenty for us in that mix I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Wow, dew point at the M2 buoy had dropped considerably since the last time I checked...-3.4C now down from 1 about 3 hrs ago :eek: The temperature has also dropped almost a degree to 4.4C

http://met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

oterra wrote: »
    Hey Nacho,
    Any info on what the models are telling us over the next 12 hrs regarding precipitation, temps etc??
    Its only 1.5deg in south west dublin. I think it has peaked at that.

don't worry there will be plenty more snow for the east over the next couple of days;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

According to this http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209 the east wont get any more snow till Monday and the, North, West and Midlands will get a fair bit of snow:(
    Does the Engish weather not pick up on streamers in the Irish Sea??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

don't worry there will be plenty more snow for the east over the next couple of days;)
    hi all
    i really enjoy all your comments on the weather very interesting
    what are the chances if snow in tipperary we had light dusting this
    morning but has melted hoping for more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    Snow stopped here, somewhere around 3 inches.

Basically I am snowed in as I would need a four wheel drive to get off the hill and no I am not going to use the tractor to go into town...

I have food supplies ordered as I expect a lot more snow to come and not much thaw for higher ground.

Have to bring in the rest of the cattle as their food is covered by that white inconvenience :p
    I did notice the cattle that are out and despite having plenty of grass yesterday were not very happy so they much have suspected the snow like the Donegal postman.

We're the same here, cattle had loads of grass and hard ground, but their grass went from being readily available to disappearing under 2.5 inches of snow in a short period of time. Has to put them in and feed them silage despite there being loads of grass.

Stopped snowing around 12, about 2.5 inches in total, melting slowly now, mostly gone off the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Hi
    In Kildare and I am supposed to be driving to Leitrim this evening. Is there a chance I might run into some heavy snow on the way ? Just wondering if I should cancel my journey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

snowing in louisburgh co. mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Wind has backed North-Westerly just now and the temperature is dropping like a stone:) down from 4.7C earlier to 3.0C now.
    EDIT 2.9C actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Got very dark here, temp has dropped to 0.2c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

You can definately see the path of the showers changing from a north easterly direction to north westerly on met.ie radar, snow on the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snowing lightly here all day, never going to stick though unless we get some heavier showers but they all seem to lose their intensity as soon as they hit land

Probably the heaviest one all day right now but its still just small flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Snowing here again now :) Few pictures from out and about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

snowing here :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

naughto wrote: »

While we're all naturally delighted for you, it would be nice if you could mention your location, or else put it either in your sig or in your profile. ;)

Wheres here?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

where is here?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

snaps wrote: »
    Wheres here?

think it might be castlebar from looking at his other posts:):)

irishbird wrote: »
    think it might be castlebar from looking at his other posts:):)

LOL we posted same thing at the same time! Im a little south of Castlebar, its gone very dark here with a very black sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

A bit of snow humor :cool:

calvinsnow17.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

ive being posting here all day so i presumed people knew

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Snowing here again, had about an inch last night and very little melt today , 2.c , 100m below me all had melted :D

ive being posting here all day so i presumed people knew

Its hard to remember where everyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing here now ,a coat of snow, nothing major though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A small thaw earlier but thats stopped now. Most of the snow that fell earlier is still here. Temp is falling fast and stands at 0.3c now, DP -1.8c. Slush on the roads is freezing already, Its going be lethal later.

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com
    Youtube Videos of todays snow @ http://www.youtube.com/user/mickopla?feature=mhum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

trogdor wrote: »
    Wind has backed North-Westerly just now and the temperature is dropping like a stone:) down from 4.7C earlier to 3.0C now.
    EDIT 2.9C actually

Down to 2.3C here now with the wind still coming from the North-West, although the temp at the M2 buoy seems to be dropping away too anyway which is good news, as of the 15:00 report the temp/dp was 4.1C/-3.9C

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Is there any chance of some more thunder and lightning like last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

There is a chance yes, could be a similar set up to last night as far as I know

Really heavy shower here a while ago but still wont stick, raintoday suggests we're under almost constant snow but in reality we're just getting a shower every hour or so. Gonna have to wait until tonight before anything interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

And it looks set to get worse for the next few days, as temperatures plummet to as low as -5C overnight at the weekend and snow covers crucial roads.:(

I hate driving in the ice :( Why cant it just be snow on its own :mad:
    Ulster and Connacht were the first to bear the brunt of the cold snap yesterday, which saw wintry showers and temperatures of between 0 and -3 degrees with widespread severe frost and ice.

Areas such as Monaghan and Galway were covered with a blanket of snow, which left road temperatures below zero on the N2 in Co Monaghan.

The Sally Gap in Co Wicklow was left impassable due to icy conditions and motorists were advised to avoid the area.

The RSA said that people should watch out for black ice, use dipped headlights, leave plenty of space to brake and be prepared for breakdowns.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/motorists-and-householders-put-on-alert-as-big-freeze-strikes-2438290.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement