Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow Reports/ Thundersnow & Chat - 26/11/2010 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

It has turned to rain in Galway.... the bay is killing the fun again :((

grrrr.. stopped altogether in Craughwell, hoping that rain is not heading our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Pangea wrote: »
    Naughto that gif is savage, how did you make that?

He just said he didn't, we didnt have that much snow today anywhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

why is it that dublin is getting no snow? looking at raintoday radar it is forming either side of dublin, mainly running to the south and bypassing my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Snow in Kerry! Firies (near Farranfore) recent shower and still coming down, ground white:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

dbyrne wrote: »
    why is it that dublin is getting no snow? looking at raintoday radar it is forming either side of dublin, mainly running to the south and bypassing my house.

Because the winds are northerly, they will be changing to north easterly/easterly later tonight then hopefully your in business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

First snow of the day here in Enniskillen, been dry all day up until 1/2 hour ago, small flakes, by the time the showers reach here they have practically died out:(.

Still some lying snow from last nights fall lying on the grass, looking at the radars, looks like this is all I will see tonight... there is a system currently developing off the North East Coast of England, and making in-roads.

This *may* reach Ireland by tomorrow morning if theres any power left in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

u need to read MT's analysis on the other thread....all the answers are there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think that will change later. I'd be surprised if there was not a fresh layer of snow by morning. There is a small low pressure just off the NE of England which hopefully will move across to the Irish Sea overnight and mix things up a bit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

Look to the right again though. Big band over UK whirling this way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

kopp wrote: »
    Look to the right again though. Big band over UK whirling this way.

That'll probably die out once it reaches western UK, don't worry about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

anyone any idea when the winds are due to change :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Athlone still has no snow:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

everywhere white in Tralee now. Heavier than last night's dusting!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

joe199 wrote: »
    anyone any idea when the winds are due to change :confused:

Around midnight they should start to back NE hopefully.
    Here after a stall in temps due to a wind of 8km/h they are back on the slide again, Temp -1.6c DP -3.6c

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

From M.T. Cranium (on the other snow thread) he knows what he's talking about!

The low over the northeast coast of England is drifting west under an upper low and should begin to track more WSW after midnight, but I expect this feature to lose definition over England before trying to redevelop well after midnight over the Irish Sea. This means that any snow before late morning in eastern counties would have to come from unrelated streamers developing over the Irish Sea. This may happen but with such a slack wind gradient and cold temperatures inland due to earlier snow cover, meso-scale winds around Dublin are likely to remain W-NW with the streamers being forced more south towards Wicklow (again). However some other weak snow flurries could develop further north and move inland anywhere along the east coast.

Would expect then a few areas of snow to develop later tonight but more likely to be in Wicklow (as well as much further west). Inland temperatures could fall as low as -8 to -10 C over snow cover. By late morning and through mid-day Sunday, areas of snow may develop in response to the upper low drifting west across Ireland. With any luck (if you're a snow lover and if not, sorry, wrong thread) some of this snow may become moderately heavy in places -- there would be potential for 5-8 cms in some areas.

Looking further ahead, nothing but east winds and at times a bit of a southeast component that may get even places like Cork into the action, but favouring Meath-Dublin-Wicklow region in general. There is really no reliable sign of a warmup at all, the models are behaving as they normally do in a prolonged cold spell. There is such a deep supply of cold air in the European arctic and in central Siberia that as long as the Atlantic sector does not undergo a total reversal of form, I believe the pattern will remain cold with just the odd near-normal respite from a weak system dropping south and turning the winds more NW'ly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

that rainfall radar on met.ie is great for tracking imminent snow. Even Evelyn recommended viewers to use it on 6-One news weather tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

noah45 wrote: »
    Athlone still has no snow:(

Moate neither. We're shielded from all directions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Hey guys, kudos for keeping us all up to date! Anyone know what the story is for Cork City? Should we be expecting any snow? (please please please!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

He just said he didn't, we didnt have that much snow today anywhere!!!
    Oh apologies, didnt see that.
    Im sure some of our wexford/kilkenny posters would argue with u about the latter statment though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Hey guys, kudos for keeping us all up to date! Anyone know what the story is for Cork City? Should we be expecting any snow? (please please please!!)
    Looks like Cork will miss out until tomorrow evening going by the Hirlam, patience:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

What's the odds for snow in Carlow? Any coming our way? Will the streamers reach this far inland?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 splash137

Hey!
    Just wondering how the road situation is around maynooth now? I'm due to drive back there tomorrow from Kilkenny and no sure if it's a goer!
    Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Looks like Cork will miss out until tomorrow evening going by the Hirlam, patience:D

Cool cool, thanks for the update :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

ongarboy wrote: »
    that rainfall radar on met.ie is great for tracking imminent snow. Even Evelyn recommended viewers to use it on 6-One news weather tonight!

evelyn is great. she is a true met girl and makes the weather interesting. and mentioning the radar, so simple but so effective at bringing the weather bulletin to life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

how do u figure out how many metres u are above sea level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

JAMM222 wrote: »
    how do u figure out how many metres u are above sea level?
    http://www.earthtools.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

snowed under here in Wexford!! fun times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

splash137 wrote: »
    Hey!
    Just wondering how the road situation is around maynooth now? I'm due to drive back there tomorrow from Kilkenny and no sure if it's a goer!
    Cheers! :D

Main roads are fairly gritted and hopefully should be tomorrow. Had a big shower of snow this evening and covered everything. Was driving around Maynooth today and only issue was getting out of my estate as it was like an ice rink. Rest of the roads were fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Maynooth is pretty doused and underneath that snow some
    Of the roads are like bottles. I'm on the moyglare road and it is treacherous all day, can't imagine what it's like after another 3-4cm in the last hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

claire2010 wrote: »
    snowed under here in Wexford!! fun times :)

wherebouts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement