Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Thundersnow & Chat - 26/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Folks, heading from Limerick to Castlebar and back today. What are the risks of sufficent snow this afternoon to disrupt my journey?

Not sure whether to cancel or not. I'm not too worried about whats on the ground at the moment as long as roads are passable, just worried about getting caught above there and not able to get home.

Its the ice you want to worry about. IF you dont need to go, dont go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just wondering if that band of snow coming out of the center of Scotland will re generate now its hit the warm sea and swing down into those showers that have been hitting west Mayo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Folks, heading from Limerick to Castlebar and back today. What are the risks of sufficent snow this afternoon to disrupt my journey?

Not sure whether to cancel or not. I'm not too worried about whats on the ground at the moment as long as roads are passable, just worried about getting caught above there and not able to get home.

roads will be dodgy all the way, but particularly so between castlebar and 5-10 miles outside galway city. now snow in clare and limerick but black ice will be a prob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Snowing in Waterford, currently -3.1. Sky doesn't look to bad so just a brief shower i'd say. Lovely scene this morning with yesterdays snow glistening ater the hard frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

-6.2c in Tuam at the moment, with a low of -6.4c reached at 7.50am. Exceptional temp for the time of year.

The NRA weather station just outside town is reporting even lower temps at the moment: :eek:

24_hours.jpgStation : N17 TuamOrganisation : National Roads Authority
    Time : 28.11.2010 08:20 Europe/Dublin
    Air Temperature (1) -7.7 °C
    Dew Point Temperature (1) -9.3 °C
    Relative Humidity (1) 89 %
    Rain State (1) none
    Wind Speed (1) 0.0 m/s
    Wind Direction (1) 76 °
    Max Wind Speed (1) 0.4 m/s
    Surface Temperature (1) -4.9 °C

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Thanks,

I am assuming the main roads should be relatively safe during daylight hours regarding ice?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Wind offshore atm is north and wind onshore (at Dublin AP and Casement) is west, so that's a pretty good reason why they will stay over the sea, for now anyway.
    I'm wondering since the flow is supposed to be very light e or NE are we getting the opposite of a sea breeze here :D

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EIDW/2010/11/28/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

It's not often you see that kind of data in the tabular from midnight at Dublin airport.
    Currently -7c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just a light shower of snow during the night. All yesterdays snow is solid ice. Looking at the radar and hoping some of those beefy showers in the Irish Sea can come our way. They are close because New Ross has had more snow this morning.

Temp -2.3c DP -3.4c.
    Weather is clear but i can see those beefy showers to my East.

More Detail @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Snowing in Waterford, currently -3.1. Sky doesn't look to bad so just a brief shower i'd say. Lovely scene this morning with yesterdays snow glistening ater the hard frost.

No new snow yet in the city this morning jerry but maybe soon as its very cloudy to my East.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

I just woke up here and it's incredble!! I'm about to go out with the camera, can anyone tell me if it is going to melt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

we got a extra dusting of snow last night and the snow from yesterday is frozen solid hope there is more snow showers today

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Amazing scene up here in kiltipper Tallaght. Was very icey last night but woke at 6am and have 3.9 inches to be exact of snow, height of my big kerb outside the house, think i'm hibernating today not worth the hassle travelling in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

*eadaoin wrote: »
    I just woke up here and it's incredble!! I'm about to go out with the camera, can anyone tell me if it is going to melt?

Yes!
    Snow melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-7c @ 8.30am in Dublin Airport

Amazing scene here, nice 3-4 inches of snow with juicy CB's moving parallel to the coast south.

Winter wonderland.

Have work though, will be fun attempting journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CluelessGirl

Over 4 inches of snow in south county Wexford!

Have never seen anything like it here....way out in the middle of the country side!

How am I going to get to Dublin for work tomorrow?!!!!

Anyone been on the N11?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

just woke up and looked out on an amazing scene, I dont think i've have never seen so much snow in bray, the coast is FINALLY getting all the snow we've missed out on over the years. can't see schools being open tomorrow if its anything like this:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

I'm not in tomorrow anyway! Maybe we'll get Tuesday off (Bet it all melts tomorrow night after me saying that)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

its -7 in dub wtfffffffffffffffffffffffff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Here in Dublin it snowed very heavy last night, its lovely to look at but :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

-6.2c in Tuam at the moment, with a low of -6.4c reached at 7.50am. Exceptional temp for the time of year.

The NRA weather station just outside town is reporting even lower temps at the moment: :eek:

[IMG][/img]http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/24_hours.jpgStation : N17 TuamOrganisation : National Roads Authority
    Time : 28.11.2010 08:20 Europe/Dublin
    Air Temperature (1) -7.7 °C
    Dew Point Temperature (1) -9.3 °C
    Relative Humidity (1) 89 %
    Rain State (1) none
    Wind Speed (1) 0.0 m/s
    Wind Direction (1) 76 °
    Max Wind Speed (1) 0.4 m/s
    Surface Temperature (1) -4.9 °C

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

Killygordon, near me in East Donegal is similar, -7.4.

Long way to go to the -14 in January!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

Santry covered in the White stuff hoping for another lashing of it this evening! Anybody know how likely that is??

-6.9 in Kiltipper Tallaght on foothills of Dublin mountains, woke to look out my window and da hills are plastered, hell fire club has disappered. It really is a winter wonderland, no mucking about with a cm here and a cm there, this is the real deal, Next few days should be fun.

Guys thinking of taking to the roads forget it, your playing with your lives, its like an icerink out there, i would only be driving in a emergency. My job has called the fleet off the road for tomorrow already, not worth taking chances. Be safe guys.

Shamanic wrote: »
    Santry covered in the White stuff hoping for another lashing of it this evening! Anybody know how likely that is??

Very likely to happen during the day according to the charts. Snow for ulster Leinster, Heavy along parts of East coast, later snow in Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

Woke up to just a bit of frost but mostly green in West mayo this morning aargh!
    But 45 minutes later its all white, snowing heavily and at least a few cms on the ground at this stage.
    This is west of Louisburgh at sea level where we NEVER get snow. So rare! and so wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

420 wrote: »
    Belting down in d15. hartstown..
    hopefully my flight to amsterdam on tuesday wont be delayed or cancelled

5 hours sleep and out in the snow again :D ... Amazing CB clouds out towards Dublin bay, it's huge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Woke up to just a bit of frost but mostly green in West mayo this morning aargh!
    But 45 minutes later its all white, snowing heavily and at least a few cms on the ground at this stage.
    This is west of Louisburgh at sea level where we NEVER get snow. So rare! and so wonderful!

Got a inch or two covering in Crossmolina. Watching that large snow fall heading our way from Mid Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Great LIVE webcam over Dublin:

http://www.guinness-storehouse.com/WeatherCam.aspx

They've recently cleared the snow from the lens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Temp -2.7 and dewpoint is -3.5.

Just waiting for more showers to come onshore, one or two more and we might make it to the 20cm mark:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

It's feckin freezing!!! Dunno about getting to work tomo from santry to dundrum and back at 9pm using public transport??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

So with all this snow anyone know where you can buy a sled in Dublin?!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement