Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Thundersnow & Chat - 26/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

says its -7 in dublin now on met website :eek:... is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

taffy lulu wrote: »
    Hello. Has anyone heard anything about school closures? I wonder if there is going to be an announcement like there was in Jan?

on one hand poor kids, they'll have to make up for days off in some form there already in school until christmas eve in some schools. on the other hand lucky kids, getting to play in the snow.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

the snow shiel around Dundalk is made of some stuff never lat a single flake in

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

It seems very likely that Dublin will get some more heavy snow after last night's dose. You can see them building in the Irish sea and the winds are veering NE and will soon go E. So more snow in Dublin in the next 24 and 48 hours.:D:D:D:D

I would love to see Cork city get some...maybe later??Great for kids (and adults!!!):D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

taffy lulu wrote: »
    Hello. Has anyone heard anything about school closures? I wonder if there is going to be an announcement like there was in Jan?

I'd be surprised if they decided to open today tbh :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I'd be surprised if they decided to open today tbh :pac:

On a Sunday??

lucy2010 wrote: »
    The baba's are down there .....
    Unless you have a 4wd and are experienced in snow driving,they can stay there for a few days.
    It's minus 5.3c here outside arklow and the minor roads are undriveable in my opinion at the moment.
    At this rate it is unlikely to go above zero
    Further to that I was talking to a Garda this morning who told me the N11 outside enniscorthy is lethal.
    Totally snow covered and pack ice.

Better to be safe and well,than broke up and injured in a hospital or worse dead.
    Sorry to be so serious but it is.

says its -7 in dublin now on met website :eek:... is this true?
    yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

the snow shiel around Dundalk is made of some stuff never lat a single flake in

Sunday night looks good for Dundalk according to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

looks like a few showers developing in the Irish Sea, heading straight for Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I was woken up around 6AM by my cat bawling outside. I dont think she knew what snow was. :p

Anyways, there is a good 5cm lying here in North Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I was kinda bored out in the snow on my own ... well except for the dog....

A BIG WEATHER BOARDS SNOW PARTY WOULD BE CLASS! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

question if possible please.
    can anyone advise on the conditions in Cork especially Watergrasshill
    and in Cavan.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Malahide almost Alpine this morning with the sun and sneachta.

Am supposed to drive to Kilcock today. Anyone done the M50 / M4 yet this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭OmeGar

Further to that I was talking to a Garda this morning who told me the N11 outside enniscorthy is lethal.

Better to be safe and well,than broke up and injured in a hospital or worse dead.

Damn, thats what i was afraid of. that was the worst part yesterday.

wonder if that will improve during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I was kinda bored out in the snow on my own ... well except for the dog....

A BIG WEATHER BOARDS SNOW PARTY WOULD BE CLASS! ha

SNOW FIGHT!

Snowman contest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

According to the BBC, temperatures at Belfast International Airport fell to a new record low for November of -8.6 ºC last night. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

it -7 in dublin right now:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

I'm in Nrt Co Dublin about a mile from the coast. ALOT of cloud building up to the east and slowly moving in. By the looks of the raintoday website Dublin is probably in for another dumping this afternoon!!! :D

jolly wrote: »
    Malahide almost Alpine this morning with the sun and sneachta.

Am supposed to drive to Kilcock today. Anyone done the M50 / M4 yet this morning?

Yeah it is not so bad. Frozen but seems to have been gritted. One lane is thawed on both. I did get stuck on a hill at the Lucan Spa Hotel though, needed a push.

So, be careful

• Advertisement

oh and I came from Coolock

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dow99 wrote: »
    I'm in Nrt Co Dublin about a mile from the coast. ALOT of cloud building up to the east and slowly moving in. By the looks of the raintoday website Dublin is probably in for another dumping this afternoon!!! :D

Yeah, starting to look like that alright and wind at M2 bouy has gone ENE - excellent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Unless you have a 4wd and are experienced in snow driving,they can stay there for a few days.
    It's minus 5.3c here outside arklow and the minor roads are undriveable in my opinion at the moment.
    At this rate it is unlikely to go above zero

No your right BB -Babas's are too precious .

I rang nan there - Forget it basicly. Ill get the 4 x 4 tomo & the chains if its doable. Hes a stunt driver so ill let him at it. were salting the neighbours skislopes at the moment - sheerr ice underneath all that snow.... worse than I thought out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Dow99 wrote: »

Tracking that myself, looks possible :D

Sulmac wrote: »
    According to the BBC, temperatures at Belfast International Airport fell to a new record low for November of -8.6 ºC last night. :eek:

Dublin airport to -7.7. However the snow is much heavier and deeper in Dublin airport (closed 4 times in 48 hours) than in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

driving from Cork to Dublin today. Am assuming M7/M8 are gritted. Leaving shortly to get to Dublin with plenty of time before it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Was having a look at the Dublin traffic cameras

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

Are some of them old pictures? Look at the Cabra Rd or the N11 at Newtown Park Avenue and not a drop of snow in sight but the rest of the city is covered.

Have to be old pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

vixdname wrote: »
    Guys, I'm new to this weather forum, my question is ....Why when theres a risk of severe rain fall in the british isles & Ireland is it always that the radar picture will inevitably show Ireland completely covered in a thick blanket of rain clouds, but when we all want a bit of snow action...the clouds are always everywhere but over the country, just dangling along the coast but not doing anything worth talking about ? Is it just me or does it ever seem that Irish weather just likes to torment us !!!! BTW: is it true that we're going to get a good bit of snow on Tuesday ?

Rain is caused by the mixing of mild and cold air. We are missing the mild air, so very little precip is possible. The seas are still quite warm which is why the showers are mostly off the coast. Features such as shallow low pressures bring the milder air off the sea in overland which causes the snow - but these systems quickly die out as the warm sea source is replaced by a frigid cold landmass. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hope this works. Working entirely off the iPhone for this. Derry City at 11am this morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=096W6lsmuiY

• Advertisement

Some are old pictures..Cabra has very thick snow.:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement