Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Cork about 30 mins away from the action thanks to a development in the midlands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Bettystown in Co Meath seems to have a magic blanket . . No snow in last two days . . Anybody know if we might get some ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Not looking good for down here atm just totally dry, are the winds going easterly in dub first and the spreading south? johnstown castle still reporting northerlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Can any one tell me if the Kilkenny/Tipp area will have any more snow tonight/tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Cork about 30 mins away from the action thanks to a development in the midlands!!

what development is that....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the radar and track it looks like Cork City will get in on a small bit of the action soon if not already. Personally i'm looking at whats going on in Dublin at the moment and if thats track the way it is now, it should hit here in the next few hours.
    Temp really has risen here in the last hour or so. Currently temp is -0.4c Dp -1.6c.

More Detail and Webcam Watch @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I posted this in the other thread and I thought i'd stick it here for posterity:D:

This is a crazy situation, the latest radar and the reports here are suggesting that over the last half hour or so, the bearing of this shower "clump" has changed to a more ENE orientation. Combined with the very slow moving nature of this shower, this is going to simply dump snow all over Dublin city. This is going to blow the amounts from 2001 out of the (frozen) water.

So far there's 3 inches or so on the ground. I'm expecting about 5 or 6 inches widely in Dublin city by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Lovely couple of hours of snow in Dublin that dumped about 3-4 inches in my locality. And all from a streamer off the east coast! Looks like there is another one - much smaller though - due in the next hour or so. Can never tell where they're going to hit until they're practically on top of you though. I think we are in for a very interesting few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

we have nowt, clear skys, and i think thats the way its going to stay.

most of the charts have wet air around us from 3 to about 9 am, but i feel it will be to far south to effect us,
    and i cant see it appering out of no where :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this is almost deja-vu of last winter. Same areas getting the same intense snowfall, Basically Dublin 15 and southwards. We have almost 2 inchs of snow here in Meath, thats same as it was last year but at least this time it didn't take 2 weeks worth of light snow showers for it to build up. I would love to see something more organised attack the entire east coast and most of Leinster giving a more even distribution of snow for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

put this in other thread but any ideas what it is

seems to be a fog setting in here & has got frickn freezen(freezen fog by any chance) but is blowing out to the sea confused.gif,like very fine crystal particals in the air

low clouds definitly moving back SE flow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Latest upate from met Eireann suggests no change next week. So those places starved of snow ie here, won't see much if any. Very cold and frosty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Just had a quick look at the GFS. The winds seem to be stuck in a NE'ly pattern for the forseeable future. While this is great for the North and east, it offers little prospect of decent snow in the south and west. What conditions would be more condusive for snow in these locations? NW'ly winds?

Edit: GFS showing a breakdown at T+150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

-6 was lowest temp here overnight in central Dundalk.

we'll temperature's hit lows of 17.3 In Wales last night!& Ive just seen sky news speaking from dublin city about IMF Bailout and to be honest I think the snow falls in Dublin have been exaggerated as it does not not look that bad @ all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

NOAA FORECAST TO MID DECEMBER

500MB

814day.03.gif

Not looking like much of a breakdown looking at this chart.We'll have to see if it comes to fruit.

While it might not be as cold at times,overall there's no significantly milder weather on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

we'll temperature's hit lows of 17.3 In Wales last night!& Ive just seen sky news speaking from dublin city about IMF Bailout and to be honest I think the snow falls in Dublin have been exaggerated as it does not not look that bad @ all.

I'll get ya some pics.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

We have at least 2-3 inches here in firhouse from last night on top of 2-3 inches from yesterday. If you were in the weather forums last night and the early hours of this morning you would have seen the "Nowcast"reports on snow levels.
    Leave our snow alone!:D:D:D

oterra wrote: »
    We have at least 2-3 inches here in firhouse from last night on top of 2-3 inches from yesterday. If you were in the weather forums last night and the early hours of this morning you would have seen the "Nowcast"reports on snow levels.
    Leave our snow alone!:D:D:D

Sorry im just jealous,not happy that all we have is frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

You have to remember that reporter was in Dublin city centre.

Heat build up and commuters/traffic will melt the snow gradually like in any city.

However Dublin suburbs are a different story

I stayed with the other half last night in Killester - we received about 4 to 5 inches of snow. Its 9.40am and no sign of it melting yet . Just read on the met eireann website that the temperature in the city is still arctic at -7oC.

Simply put, Dublin got a pasting last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The below animated graph shows the upper air (850hPAs) over Ireland for the next 72hrs. As you can see there will be no improvement in temperatures during this period.
    ccbd35c988f7cfa27b5fdf19274bd8bb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

please tell me waterford will get some more snow sky getting little darker

There will be some heavy snow showers in Cork and Kerry later this evening and tonight. Accumulations of between 2-5cm are likely. Waterford City should see some snow as a result of this decaying low system.
    prec_nordeuro-10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    There will be some heavy snow showers in Cork and Kerry later this evening and tonight. Accumulations of between 2-5cm are likely. Waterford City should see some snow as a result of this decaying low system.
    prec_nordeuro-10.gif[/QUOTE

Is that another band of snow for Dublin/wicklow aswell Wolfe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

prec_nordeuro-10.gif

WolfeIRE you have made my day:D (it had better happen now or you'll have a lot to answer for!:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dave1982 wrote: »
    Do that mean we getting snow in Cork :)

No. See we are the lost city of Atlantis, and the ancients have a protective dome over us, it has yet to fail. You noticed how snow fell as close as Ballycotton and some deep snow in Kerry ~ this is not a quirk of nature, it's the ancients protective dome over Cork, it has failed briefly two or three times in 55 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A nowcast question ...who's going to see more snow today?

136908.JPG

Will those streamers over the Irish Sea hit land again ?

Will that fat band over Scotland eventually make it into Donegal (or Connacht even ?)

Is anything else going to bubble up snowwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

very dark, strange looking cloud to the east of north county dublin very close to the coast:D:D

Is that another band of snow for Dublin/wicklow aswell Wolfe?[/QUOTE]

yes slimity. it will continue to develop out at sea before pushing west. Def more snow on the way

by the way, analysis of yesterday's snowfall now on IWO
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/11/analysis-of-saturdays-snowfall-in.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Is that another band of snow for Dublin/wicklow aswell Wolfe?

yes slimity. it will continue to develop out at sea before pushing west. Def more snow on the way

by the way, analysis of yesterday's snowfall now on IWO
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/11/analysis-of-saturdays-snowfall-in.html[/QUOTE]

How little Wolfe ?? Wow 2 snowmageddons for him & he aint even 1 yet lol... Think ive ony had about 5 in my lifetime lol ( Jenzz)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement