Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

leahyl wrote: »
    Just had a look at it on the met eireann radar then and wow it looks like a monster! (by Corks standards anyway!) And there's some pink in it!!

It's certainly grown since this morning. Here's hoping it gets us head on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I just took a step back and concluded this is all simply insane! There's one low pressure spinning off the south coast set to hit Cork/Waterford and another one in the Irish Sea set to hit the East. Temps around the country are mostly below freezing at 13:30 in the afternoon in glorious sunshine, some places wont get above -5 today by the looks of it, there's already inches of snow lying on the ground in many places, the canals in Dublin are frozen over and it's all set to continue for the foreseeable future. Oh, and it's NOVEMBER!!! Doesn't get much better than this :D

(And from an IMBY perspective it all kicked off with thundersnow! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Rougies wrote: »
    I just took a step back and concluded this is all simply insane! There's one low pressure spinning off the south coast set to hit Cork/Waterford and another one in the Irish Sea set to hit the East. Temps around the country are mostly below freezing at 13:30 in the afternoon in glorious sunshine, some places wont get above -5 today by the looks of it, there's already inches of snow lying on the ground in many places, the canals in Dublin are frozen over and it's all set to continue for the foreseeable future. Oh, and it's NOVEMBER!!! Doesn't get much better than this :D

The temps are mad, -4.0 here at the mo with a DP of -5.1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Why was it so good? I missed it.

she said there was no end in sight with the promise of more snow to come for some areas. she also mentioned it could be even colder early next week as siberian air made its presence felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

The fact that it is ONLY November gets me so excited! It can only bode well for the winter months ahead, fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Look at that develop off the south coast. Do you think precip will reach far enough east to reach Waterford City? I don't think it will. Looks good for Cork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sums it up beautifully Rougies!:D You know it's bad when Corks gonna get snow!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Im gonna gague the accuracy of the raintoday radar by seeing when it starts snowing on sky sports !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

Oh no missed it!! WHat did she say?? Any mention of Cork???!!!:D This is so freaking exciting! You guys are the best!

She said there was a possibility of snow showers in the south of Cork county later. I reckon today may be as good as the snow day we got in January. Probably won't go too far north though, as far as the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the reality is we'll most likely never see another November like it in our lifetime.

• Advertisement

she said there was no end in sight with the prmoise of more snow to come for some areas. she also mentioned it could be even colder early next week as siberian air made its presence felt.

:eek::eek:This is UNREAL! I can't quite believe this is happening in NOVEMBER! I remember so many Novembers past where it was mild and raining:rolleyes:! Could this be the start of Novembers to come?:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I know people say its bad when cork, or waterford or tipp gets snow, but the day I see Offaly covered is a day I know some thing is really weird.

TomTom wrote: »
    I know people say its bad when cork, or waterford or tipp gets snow, but the day I see Offaly covered is a day I know some thing is really weird.

aaaw TomTom nothing in your neck of the woods yet eh?:) I'm sure you'll get some! Mind you it hasn't happened here yet so i will believe it entirely when i actually see it but at the mo i am quietly confident! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

the reality is we'll most likely never see another November like it in our lifetime.
    Nacho stop being so negative!
    You said the same about last winter that we would never see anything like it again and low and behold we have it again 10 months later!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

aaaw TomTom nothing in your neck of the woods yet eh?:) I'm sure you'll get some! Mind you it hasn't happened here yet so i will believe it entirely when i actually see it but at the mo i am quietly confident! :D

Alas I'm in Dublin tonight so got plenty of snow, afraid of driving conditions around 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

SNovember :D

She said there was a possibility of snow showers in the south of Cork county later. I reckon today may be as good as the snow day we got in January. Probably won't go too far north though, as far as the city.

OMG are you serious?! This is getting disappointing again....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Why was it so good? I missed it.

This is Ireland. It was a forecast you,d expect to see from a country that gets snow October to May.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I'm officially renaming it Newvember - let's hope there's many more of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

delw wrote: »
    SNovember :D

Oh that's way better than mine...nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Alas I'm in Dublin tonight so got plenty of snow, afraid of driving conditions around 8pm.

Somebody check this guy's boot before he returns to Offaly. Get your own snow! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just saw the farming forecast replayed on NewsNow, unbelievable!! lots of snow forecast during the week, and a great big -10 bang over me for thursday night . . .so much for ME being conservative . . .geryy murphy is probably a gibbering mess at this stage . . .:D

oh ya just take your time and you'll get there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

http://www.rte.ie/news/

watch the weather here. its after the news....duuuh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Just saw the farming forecast replayed on NewsNow, unbelievable!! lots of snow forecast during the week, and a great big -10 bang over me for thursday night . . .so much for ME being conservative . . .geryy murphy is probably a gibbering mess at this stage . . .:D

Just watched it as well - fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Look at that develop off the south coast. Do you think precip will reach far enough east to reach Waterford City? I don't think it will. Looks good for Cork though.

According to 3 hour forecast anywhere along south and southeast is a possibility...

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I expect the snow to reach Dublin city itself at around 4.30pm at the latest. But as it's moving very slowly, southwestern parts of the city may be waiting an hour or two later, and its track is more awkward too. It's hard for me to tell how far inland it will move.

The system off the coast itself seems to have 2 distinct areas of circulation, one which is moving more speedily from the Isle of Mann towards the Co. Louth coast. Another is off Bray and seems to be sluggish or completely stationary. They form almost a figure of 8 shape and the more northerly circulation is pivoting slightly around the first one. I suspect over the next couple of hours they will essentially merge and head in a southeasterly direction towards Skerries. I expect snowfalls from Clogherhead southwards. The southern circulation may not give any precipitation over Dublin at all, I think the other centre is going to reach skerries and slide downwards along the coast somewhat. I'm not very good at predicting this sort of stuff but God loves a trier:D

Kilkenny always gets the best of every kind of weather! Ye get the hottest temperatures in the summer and the coldest in the winter along with the most sun and most snow - it always seems that way anyway! Ye must be well situated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

OMG are you serious?! This is getting disappointing again....:(

Cork city wasn't within the line she had on the map for snow, but you might get a passing shower maybe . . .i know when we had heavy snow yesterday, the previous night we weren't forecast to have it by ME at all .. .although i think Wolfe said we would .. . and MT.

Moral of the story is, boards forecasters are better than ME despite ME suddenly becoming very liberal and putting -10 on the map and no breakdown in cold, but instead a snow front passing over the country towards the end of the week.

• Advertisement

According to 3 hour forecast anywhere along south and southeast is a possibility...

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif

is that big mass going to move inland or just along the Cork/Kerry/Wateford coast?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement