Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Forecasts and Synoptic Forecast Discussion - 26/11/1020 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Come on snow, just a few flakes so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Amazing how precise that is. Nothing at all in Midleton which going by the chart is exact. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have no flash, can someone tell me roughly what the UK Met office is predicting for Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

darkman2 wrote: »
    UK Met going all out for tomorrow night in the East

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

I don't think this will happen in coastal areas anyway and probrably more widely. A temporary warmer clink of air is going to be over the country tomorrow and some of Tuesday. Id say rain and sleet more likely on coasts but we will see.
    DM2 you've been right on everything this weekend but i hope your wrong this time,dnt want rain or sleet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

John2009 wrote: »
    Come on snow, just a few flakes so far :(

Hope it doesnt my gf has to drive to work in Cork in the morning near dubin hill, hills and snow in a car not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Rougies wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit pessimistic there. I agree the convective "backup" potential over land will be pretty much non-existant over snowcovered areas but there wasn't much there in the first place anyway!? Also I think we (in the east but also the whole country) have more boxes checked for snow in the next few days than we could possibly hope for!

It's been already happening today, with around a 18 degree abrupt difference in sea and land temperatures. Without upper support, convection is unsustainable over snow-covered land.

You're right that the east is in a good position for the next few days (especially Tuesday if the ECMWF is right), I just don't think we'll see the penetration we'd see if the terrain weren't frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Clearly all the cool people are on this thread. . :cool:

su, if what you've said is right it doesn't look good for me getting more tonight or tomorrow. Hope you're wrong, or something swings up from waterford direction and carries on til here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Boards are much faster since the radar showed no snow for Dublin..everyone gone to bed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

largepants wrote: »
    Amazing how precise that is. Nothing at all in Midleton which going by the chart is exact. Mad.

Hmm well it's not that exact because I'm in Crosshaven and there is no snow at all :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

UK Met going all out for tomorrow night in the East

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

I don't think this will happen in coastal areas anyway and probrably more widely. A temporary warmer clink of air is going to be over the country tomorrow and some of Tuesday. Id say rain and sleet more likely on coasts but we will see.

Warm air tomorrow? I thought it is be reach -10 tomorrow night in Dublin???

Surely this will be snow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

delw wrote: »
    DM2 you've been right on everything this weekend but i hope your wrong this time,dnt want rain or sleet :(

Niether do I. There is a chance we could get away with it but ot's very marginal. All im saying is don't be too disappointed if rain and sleet fall on coasts. It's only temporary. Much colder air (even colder then we have now) will flood in on Tuesday. Tomorrow looks like a bit of a hiccup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Niether do I. There is a chance we could get away with it but ot's very marginal. All im saying is don't be too disappointed if rain and sleet fall on coasts. It's only temporary. Much colder air (even colder then we have now) will flood in on Tuesday. Tomorrow looks like a bit of a hiccup.

Now if I said that......! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Hmm well it's not that exact because I'm in Crosshaven and there is no snow at all :mad:

Well ok. I was just focusing on the East side of it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads i can't stay up anymore! Still nothing here and i'm waiting a LOOOONG time! I'm very disappointed - even if it does snow i won't see it cos i'll be asleep....ah well maybe next time!

Night all:) Thanks for the entertainment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Snowing in Ballincollig, Co.Cork now just outside the city
    Aha that's where I am too :D

It's not like I've been hanging out the window waiting for snow or anything <_<

leahyl wrote: »
    Lads i can't stay up anymore! Still nothing here and i'm waiting a LOOOONG time! I'm very disappointed - even if it does snow i won't see it cos i'll be asleep....ah well maybe next time!

Night all:) Thanks for the entertainment!

I'll be awake for awhile so hopefully i might get some video footage of a blizzard for you :D

Radar7.png

Snowshields in full force north of the Lee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Snowing where I am, 16 miles westbof the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Su Campu wrote: »
    Now if I said that......! :pac:
    :D

• Advertisement

Game over for me i'd say and pretty much all of the northside,

Radar8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's been already happening today, with around a 18 degree abrupt difference in sea and land temperatures. Without upper support, convection is unsustainable over snow-covered land.

You're right that the east is in a good position for the next few days (especially Tuesday if the ECMWF is right), I just don't think we'll see the penetration we'd see if the terrain weren't frozen.

I completely agree it's been happening today. But in fairness the showers were very slow moving and very unorganised today. I don't doubt it will have an effect on how far inland showers will penetrate, but I don;t think the dissipation would be so extreme in a brisk easterly/northeasterly for example as it was today. Also upper atmospheric conditions are looking good in the models for the next few days.

Great to have snowcover to factor into forecasts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

:eek::eek::eek:
    OH GOD! PLEASE
    orangeNO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea decent band of precip expected to head East coast tonight and during Tuesday morning but i fear it may actually accelerate a thaw for coastal parts, say 5-10 miles from the coast from Dundalk to Bray inland. With sleet falling. Hope is that the wind doesnt pick up too much but a possibility of a thaw through this afternoon into Tuesday AM before Siberian air returns behind the front with fresh easterly winds and driving snow showers for the east coast.

If we could some how get tonights lot as snow we'd certainly be calling it SNOWVEMBER.

But temps in NI this morning worry me and this will be the type of air around for tonights precip.

Reckon it will fall as snow inland of say 10 miles. And i think GONZO will get a hammering:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

What do you make of the precip just off the south coast?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like snow starved Cork should be preparing now for Round 2! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

So are we in for a Monday of clear skies and COLD ? Not much stirring in the way of ppc on any radar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like snow starved Cork should be preparing now for Round 2! :)

Sigh; maybe it followed me from Donegal!! Ah well.. doubtless it will be very pretty when it gets fully light and the dogs will enjoy it..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yea decent band of precip expected to head East coast tonight and during Tuesday morning but i fear it may actually accelerate a thaw for coastal parts, say 5-10 miles from the coast from Dundalk to Bray inland. With sleet falling. Hope is that the wind doesnt pick up too much but a possibility of a thaw through this afternoon into Tuesday AM before Siberian air returns behind the front with fresh easterly winds and driving snow showers for the east coast.

If we could some how get tonights lot as snow we'd certainly be calling it SNOWVEMBER.

But temps in NI this morning worry me and this will be the type of air around for tonights precip.

Reckon it will fall as snow inland of say 10 miles. And i think GONZO will get a hammering:D;)

Met.ie forecast doesn't mention sleet for coastal areas.

"Tonight

Heavy snow showers are possible in the east tonight with significant accumulations and some snow showers may drift across the country to the west as well. Lowest air temperatures zero to -8 degrees with a very severe frost, ice and freezing fog. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rte said that ? lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement