Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Afternoon's (not) all right for fleecin..

• 26-11-2010 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

If anyone is going to be around the city tomorrow (or any day for that matter) watch out for the girl claiming to be collecting money for Lung Cancer she is not legit she is basically scamming people. She can get right up in your face so beware she is usually either down by T & H's or up by the old Temple Bar so just to be aware...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Ah no! Dark haired girl, tallish?? Gave her some change there ,not much though,recently, as lost my Dad to lung cancer earlier this month:(. Thats terrible, as I'll always give the bit of change to something that hits home. Wonder how many other like minded people have been scammed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

73Cat wrote: »
    Ah no! Dark haired girl, tallish?? Gave her some change there ,not much though,recently, as lost my Dad to lung cancer earlier this month:(. Thats terrible, as I'll always give the bit of change to something that hits home. Wonder how many other like minded people have been scammed:mad:

Thats her all right....She lives near me, girl has some problems... i dont like the way she uses an illness that hits home to a lot of people for her own gain. You could try askin her has she some legit id but trust me dont even approach her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Sure if you know who she is couldn't you report her to the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree,

Report her to the Guards if your sure OP, its a very serious issue and basically the scummiest thing imho that an individual can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dont you need a permit to collect money for charity? Does she have one?

She should be reported to the gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

she came into the mansion house last week and conned a few people until i said to her were you not in the week before... she did a legger.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

its not just her at it,but she is local girl i think its the same one not to give her exact address away but living in the upper part of the city near the mercy school, now that could be anywhere but if you know her you know who she is, some probs alright and partner.

there are nonlocal people and the ware bibs for astma andd on the bibs it says no cash donations and they have it coverd by a bucket asking for money. they could make lots of cash per day doing this. lots of old ladys give money to these parasites. it anoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Yes you need a garda perit for charity street collections so if you think anyone is fraudulent you can ring the station 051-305300 and report them.
    They'll check their books and/or approach her for her permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I noticed this girl every Saturday around there for about 3-4 weeks in a row. Was wondering why she was always out collecting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I saw her today by Wacky Shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

OP: why would you bring this topic up here and not just say it to the police?

As a side note, scratch card sellers get a commission from each card sold. There's one guy in town selling cards all the time and he would'nt be doing it if there was'nt a wage in it I'm sure!

You'd be better off just giving the money straight to a charity and then you know where the money is going.

dermo909 wrote: »
    he would'nt be doing it if there was'nt a wage in it I'm sure!

Some of these groups really annoy me. I was looking for jobs about 2/3 years ago. Concern were paying about €14 an hour to those annoying people with the luminous vests. At the time I had a standing order with Concern, and I was only on the minimum wage. I cancelled my S.O. with Concern and set one up with Trocaire instead. There is a poverty industry, which is probably growing with the recession.

What really annoys me is that there are so many good people who freely give up their time. Its harder for them to raise funds. I'm more than happy to give money to genuine charities, but I'm sure I pass genuine people by because I just don't know if they are genuine or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are you sure? A girl collecting for lung cancer, the same girl all the time with no ID or any logos on the box she uses to collect money from, has been doing so in Waterford for a few months. I queried it once with the Gardai, who checked the CCTV and said she was genuine.

She was outside City Square today..

Sully wrote: »
    Are you sure? A girl collecting for lung cancer, the same girl all the time with no ID or any logos on the box she uses to collect money from, has been doing so in Waterford for a few months. I queried it once with the Gardai, who checked the CCTV and said she was genuine.

She was outside City Square today..

I don't know what the regulations are. However, I used to sell flags for a local sports club. We were limited in the number of days we were permitted to sell flags. I doubt someone could get a permit for several weeks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

You can ring the Garda station and ask for the permit section weekdays 9-5 they can check if someone is genuine for you. You have to carry id
    and have your box labelled fully. I've organised a few of these before. You can only have one collection in the same place every 6 months and only one charity can collect in an area at a time so she's 100% a fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

If anyone is going to be around the city tomorrow (or any day for that matter) watch out for the girl claiming to be collecting money for Lung Cancer she is not legit she is basically scamming people. She can get right up in your face so beware she is usually either down by T & H's or up by the old Temple Bar so just to be aware...

Oh my god, only seeing this now!!:mad:

Ye're not gonna believe this but....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 elchupanebray

i gave her a cigarrette last week she didn't look too concerned about lung cancer when she was smoking it

i gave her a cigarrette last week she didn't look too concerned about lung cancer when she was smoking it

Are you serious? She was smoking a cigarette while pretending to be collecting for lung cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 elchupanebray

dayshah wrote: »
    Are you serious? She was smoking a cigarette while pretending to be collecting for lung cancer?

she went and stood by the book centre while she smoked it,didn't make much of an effort in hiding it,pretty brazen of her alright

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I spoke with the Guards about this today, she is genuine. She has a permit and the permit checks out to be valid, from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Would there be anything to be said for arresting her anyway? Just to be on the safe side....she did smoke near the book centre, that second hand smoke could easly have drifted into the shop, hence she was smoking in a place of work.

I'll have a word with the gaurds tomorrow....watch this space....

Advertisement