Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for info on the return of a part for a car

Options
  • 26-11-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place or not but ill give it a go...

I sold a lip kit for a car about 3 days ago it wasnt painted or anything and I mentioned on the ad what type and year car it was for

I met the person, they inspected it and I gave them 50 euro off the price

yesterday they got back to me saying that they have the part sprayed silver and it wont fit their car so he wants his money back

any advice would be really appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

He has no leg to stand on. Buyer beware. Tell him where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Weather or not he sprayed the part is also not an issue but now that he has it is no good to you either.He inspected the part, you sold it as is....

Not a leg to stand on as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Gazza09

He has no leg to stand on. Buyer beware. Tell him where to go.

thought as much...he threatned to bring me to the small claims court?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Gazza09 wrote: »
    thought as much...he threatned to bring me to the small claims court?!

Tell him he has just made your day....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Gazza09

cheers people for the replys!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I mentioned on the ad what type and year car it was for

I met the person, they inspected it and I gave them 50 euro off the price

In fairness, while there is no legal obligation on you and it is very much a case of caveat emptor, was your description correct or was it his mistake? If he knew exactly what part it is, why is it not fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This was a private sale - so technically it isn't even a Consumer Issue. That's good news for you. It means that he really doesn't have a leg to stand on. He inspected the goods and then he purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A number of years ago I ordered a driver side wing for a 97 Citroen Berlingo from a factors. After going to the expense of having it sprayed in a body shop the part didn't fit. Went back and found it was the wrong part. They tried to put the onus on me for not dry fitting the part first, after a heated row they reluctantly took the part back and got me the correct piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes but that was a consumer and a retail outlet, private sale therefore no come back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I sold a lip kit for a car about 3 days ago it wasnt painted or anything and I mentioned on the ad what type and year car it was for

Well, it appears from the posts above that you have no legal obligation to do anything here.

Of course, if you said it was for car X and it was actually for car Y then I would certainly consider you to have a non-legal obligation. I don't see it mattering that he inspected it as it's unlikely he would be able to tell the difference by sight.

If you said it was for car X and he tried fitting it to car Y then I'd consider it to be his mistake, not yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement