Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer setting up employee for dismissal.

Options
  • 26-11-2010 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

Sounds a bit far fetched? Let me explain.

The employee been setup works for a security company contacted to my employer and my role is to manage this service. (I am not his direct employer)

Today, he comes into my office and asks if he may use the phone to contact his employer as his cheque (yes, a cheque, in this day and age) hasn’t cleared through his bank account. (The cheque would normally clear as it is made out to cash).

After the call, this guy appeared upset and I asked him what the problem was, I offered him a few quid to see him over the weekend, if the lack of funds had caused him upset.

He told me how abusive his employer had been to him on the phone, and the names he had been called.

As we spoke, he received a call from his employer. The caller informed him that he was expected to attend the companies head office to explain he abusive attitude to his boss during the initial phone call.

I replayed the recording of his initial call (all calls in & out are recorded) and to my horror I heard his employer abuse this guy and call him names, while to his credit the employee remained calm and restrained.

The employee when on to explain, since he started with this company 18mths ago, he has been accused (without any proof) of not doing the work expected from him, been late, been untidy, breaking things, been abusive to other staff, clients and members of management. Each time he received some form of disciplinary action ranging from written warnings, to a final written warning.

Now, after been summoned to the head office again he fears he will be dismissed.

I am unable to attend the meeting with him as his employer will not allow anyone other than an employee of the company accompany him, and the organisation is not unionised.

On a professional note, this guy is an excellent worker – diligent, responsible and well liked (an all round nice guy) and I never had any issue with him or his work.

How can I help him?

*apologies for the long winded post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Assure him that if he is dismissed, you will provide a recording of his phone call, and any other similar phone calls, for his unfair dismissals tribunal. Intervening directly with the employer could make it difficult for him otherwise - transferred out of your site to somewhere that he hasn't got any backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Give him the recording of the phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Assure him that if he is dismissed, you will provide a recording of his phone call, and any other similar phone calls, for his unfair dismissals tribunal. Intervening directly with the employer could make it difficult for him otherwise - transferred out of your site to somewhere that he hasn't got any backup.

I can't give him that sort of assurance, as the call is not mine to make. I can however influence whether or not he gets moved.
    Shelflife wrote: »
    Give him the recording of the phone call.

As above, the control of such things is beyond my remit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Call the other guy from your mobile and let him know that all phone calls are being recorded. Don't make any statements whether you would supply anybody with the call deails. Maybe that would defuse the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

qwertz wrote: »
    Call the other guy from your mobile and let him know that all phone calls are being recorded. Don't make any statements whether you would supply anybody with the call deails. Maybe that would defuse the situation.

I'm not too sure this would be a good idea TBH. If this poor guy's employer is as nasty as he sounds, then this would be like throwing petrol on a fire and could make the situation much worse.

OP - If this goes to a tribunal, would you be prepared to act as a witness and speak about the call you heard? Would this be possible??

I read from your previous posts that a copy of the call in question can't be supplied, but would it be possible to transcribe it?

• Advertisement

I'm not too sure this would be a good idea TBH. If this poor guy's employer is as nasty as he sounds, then this would be like throwing petrol on a fire and could make the situation much worse.

OP - If this goes to a tribunal, would you be prepared to act as a witness and speak about the call you heard? Would this be possible??

I read from your previous posts that a copy of the call in question can't be supplied, but would it be possible to transcribe it?

I would have no problems standing up at any tribunal / court and defending this guy.

The problem is, these things often take months to be heard, and he feels that the up-coming meeting is D-Day, and I’d like to try and help him in the short term.

I have spoken at length to MY employer about this situation and she has assured me it will be bought to the attention of the MD of the security company.

The problem is, the MD and the abusive manager are brothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

D.McC wrote: »
    On a professional note, this guy is an excellent worker – diligent, responsible and well liked (an all round nice guy) and I never had any issue with him or his work.

Any chance that you could (convince the powers that be to) employ him directly ?

(after he gets fired)

I'd love too. But the reason behind out-sourcing the service provider is cost :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

D.McC wrote: »

The problem is, the MD and the abusive manager are brothers!

Case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Grow a pair and do whatever it takes to defend the people who work hard for you. Grab a tape recorder and record the convseration off the phone if you have to. If your bosses don't agree to give the guy his job after this to, save a few pennies you should have the balls to stand up for what is right.

Like it or not, you are in a position to help, you may regret it later if this guy gets screwed over and you didn't do enough to help when you had the chance.

Follow your concience, be a man, and walk tall on whatever you decide.

• Advertisement

qwertz wrote: »
    Case closed!

Well, I'm kinda hoping it isn't.
    Spacedog wrote: »
    Grow a pair and do whatever it takes to defend the people who work hard for you. Grab a tape recorder and record the convseration off the phone if you have to. If your bosses don't agree to give the guy his job after this to, save a few pennies you should have the balls to stand up for what is right.

Like it or not, you are in a position to help, you may regret it later if this guy gets screwed over and you didn't do enough to help when you had the chance.

Follow your concience, be a man, and walk tall on whatever you decide.

I think it is evident; I am more than willing to help this guy. But the idea of employing him directly is a non starter.

In fairness to my boss, during the call to the security companies MD she did state the future of the contact would rest upon ‘continuity of existing staff’, and assured the MD that we had no issue with any of the guys supplied by them and actually mentioned the employee in question by name, stating ‘his pleasant demeanour and helpful attitude has been commented on by a number of department heads’.

I’d love to leave the disk containing the recording of the call on my desk (accidently), but I know this guy wouldn’t touch it, as he is far to honest to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Put the guy in question in touch with another security company who may just happen to win the next security tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask him to record the squeaking of the door opening. Try not to play the recording when his phone is recording...

Advertisement