Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some upgrade advice please..

Options
  • 26-11-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card and more ram but to be honest I haven't a clue what will work best with my machine.

I've about €200 to spend on Ram if needed and the same to spend on a graphics card.

This is what I have at the moment :
    AB9 QuadGT(Intel965+ICH8) (Socket 775),
    Q6600 quad core,
    256MB GeForce 8600 GT
    2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 463MHz 5-5-5-18 Crucial Ballistix ( Should I just get another 2 g of the same ? )

Any advice would be much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Spend about €80 on a Corsiar H50, and overclock the crap out of that processor. Spend €150 on 4GB of some decent RAM - you should also be able to get €20-30 for your existing RAM on Adverts - bringing the total spend to €200, theeeen... spend €200 on one of these. :) Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hatch-it Man

Thanks mate, should I just get more of the ram I already have or can you suggest something better..?

Here's an example from Dabs.ie. This'll be one hell of an upgrade, and under budget. :)

cart.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Spend about €80 on a Corsiar H50, and overclock the crap out of that processor. Spend €150/2 on 4GB of some decent RAM - you should also be able to get €20-30 for your existing RAM on Adverts - bringing the total spend to €200, theeeen... spend €200 on one of these. :) Sorted.

Sorry I had to fix that bit :p

EDIT: Never mind you did in the shopping cart underneath. :).

marco_polo wrote: »
    Sorry I had to fix that bit :p

EDIT: Never mind you did in the shopping cart underneath. :).

Yeah, I don't get that one myself. When I looked at getting 4GB of DDR2 a few months back it was almost the same price as DDR3. Very hard to find a good set for under €100 anyway.

• Advertisement

Legend, thanks again..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Guys... you recommended him a watercooler and a GTX470 yet never bothered to ask about his PSU? :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

me thinks a quick 200 sale of current pc and buy this (stolen from sol bb thread)

HWVS111110.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

massy086 wrote: »
    me thinks a quick 200 sale of current pc and buy this (stolen from sol bb thread)

HWVS111110.png

THIS.

Prices are so low right now. Sell current PC (q6600 still desirable) and get the above PC.

If you are too squeamish for that, then, depending on your current PSU, get a new graphics card because.. the 8600GT... will barely run todays games, whereas the 460GTX will slice through them like butter, even with slightly older quads.

I'd actually recommend the HD6850 - generally around the same price as the GTX460 1GB but more powerful and dramatically less thirsty on power ;)

• Advertisement

I've a 650w Corsair psu at the moment, Didn't think it'd be so cheap to upgrade the lot. Might try and get a few extra shillings together and take your advice.

A TX650??!? Already a way to save money! :D Buy a much smaller, cheaper PSU and recycle the TX650 into your new build instead! :P

Ya the 650w is probably a bit much for what I have :rolleyes:,

Do you think the set up I have now would be enough to make a half decent HTPC ? , have an old 450w psu and case alraedy.. ? I'd probably never get around to selling it..

Either way thanks for the advice, looking forward to putting another machine together.

Advertisement