Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Box Problem & Sky Experience

• 26-11-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

My Sky + box has stopped recording. I found this evening that it won't record and if it does it blocks the other stations. I was onto Sky last night who seemed to have fixed it but had to call again tonight. It seems to be a problem with the Input 2 cable but after going thru the steps they said I need to get an engineer out and I'm not under warranty so it will be €100!!!

They started to tell me I could upgrade to a SKY HD box for €30 but then changed their mind and said no that offer was not available and it would be €100.

I told them I'd be better off cancelling than paying €100, they asked me to wait while they put me thru the right department and after waiting a few minutes they hung up.

Any advice on the best option (its my main box, I have 2 other multiroom boxes and 2 others using freeview cards).

Thx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Just unscrewed and checked the cables and reinserted them but o good. When I go to System set up the Input 2 signal is blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭pegasuspub

hi.unplug the sky box from the mains,unscrew cables one and two from the rear of the receiver and label them,then swap them over so that you put 1 into 2 and 2 into 1 in the rear of the receiver,plug the receiver back into the mains and see what happens,this should tell you if its a cable or lnb fault,or if the receiver input 2 is faulty,i have seen pace sky plus receivers with input 2 failure,hope this helps to narrow it down.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What happens if you swap them over?

Threaten to cancel, and they should replace your box for less than €100. As a Multiroom customer, they should be even more likely not to let you cancel.

Thx Guys.

I tried this and I get the 'No Sat Signal' message.

... and yes it is a Pace box (probably an older one)

hi if you swapped over the leads and got the 'no satellite signal' message then that would sujjest to me that yo have a cable problem or lnb problem ie, between the receiver and the dish,id say the receiver is ok,its hard to diagnose at a distance!
    id say the lead that that was originally into input 2 on the receiver is faulty or that output from the lnb is faulty,
    swapping over the leads behind the receiver transferred the problem to input one of the receiver and thats why the box gives the no signal message,i hope you can understand my explanation as i may not have explained very well or very clearly.

• Advertisement

I think I get it.

I have an Octo LNB and I'm running two SKY + boxes, one standard single line box on Sky subs. I have two other single line boxes on freview card. Would it be an LNB problem when all others seems to be working ok. I recorded a film on the second sky + box this evening while eatching a different station and it all worked fine.

I think this may isolate it to the box or the cable on the 1st box, my main box if I'm understanding you correct. Does that make sense?

Am I as well trying to fix it or trying to get a deal as recommended above. Thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

try swapping boxes, then you will know if its a cable problem or box problem.

(when you have done that you could try different outputs on the lnb.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

PoolDude wrote: »
    My Sky + box has stopped recording. I found this evening that it won't record and if it does it blocks the other stations. I was onto Sky last night who seemed to have fixed it but had to call again tonight. It seems to be a problem with the Input 2 cable but after going thru the steps they said I need to get an engineer out and I'm not under warranty so it will be €100!!!

They started to tell me I could upgrade to a SKY HD box for €30 but then changed their mind and said no that offer was not available and it would be €100.

I told them I'd be better off cancelling than paying €100, they asked me to wait while they put me thru the right department and after waiting a few minutes they hung up.

Any advice on the best option (its my main box, I have 2 other multiroom boxes and 2 others using freeview cards).

Thx.

have the same issue and got same response.... posted here last week. will probable have to get somone out to have a look at mine. I have a Quad LNB, and have 2 cables going to my sky+ box, a third going to the kitch for the free channels. The one in kitchen not working either.... could be water damage from heavy wind/rain last week

hi,i would not update the software when there is a possible signal fault,im fairly sure its not the receiver.
    can you move one of the standard single input receivers into the room where the fault is and try both of the leads,one lead at a time and im fairly sure you will get the "no sat signal" message from one of those leads,if you get that message it proves the fault is signal or cable based,
    are there any joints on that cable?
    would it be possible to trace that cable back to the lnb and swap it over to an unused port on the lnb?
    it is possible for one port of the lnb to give trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Op can you identify the 2 cables from your problem box and see how they're ran back to the octo?
    Check for any joins or damage.
    Sounds like water ingres in the problem cable.
    Or failing that remove the 2 cables and put them in different ports on the octo this will let you know if there's a problem with the lnb.
    (this is assuming you can get access to the dish)
    Good luck!

I can't access the Dish and as the house is new the wiring is only visible at the connectors and at the dish. What I have tried is the actions described by me earlier and now I've tried both changing the cable for output 2 and attaching a single input box.

The result is that I can confirm it is not the box or the cable as when I changed the cable I still had no signal from input 2 and when I tried the single inpur box I got the 'No Signal' message when using input 2 but it worked when using input one.

I guess this suggests its the LNB, right?

If so I guess I need an engineer and will need to go ahead with the €100. I wonder if I went with a HD offer could I get i fixed and get it cheaper in the short run (e.g. @ €30 installation plus the €15 per month, I only start hitting the €100 after month 5).

Thoughts or suggestions?

Update:

Just rang Sky and selected the 'Thinking of leaving us' option. Got thru to Cork (it was Scotland previously). Told the guy my experience and he said they'd have someone out on Wednesday to fix it free of charge.

Funny - Sky Sales are on the phone to me now 'Out of the blue' offering me Sky Hd for €5 a month for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Update:

Just rang Sky and selected the 'Thinking of leaving us' option. Got thru to Cork (it was Scotland previously). Told the guy my experience and he said they'd have someone out on Wednesday to fix it free of charge.

whats the cork number mate?

I used the standard number but I think it was because I selected 'Thinking of Leaving' that I got Cork.

Hi Folks, Got my install today. My cinema system, connected via an optical cable from the HD box is not picking up the sound. I know the manual says older amplifiers may not support Dolby Digital but it worked on the Sky + box. The system is a Sony Dav S-500. (5.1ch Full Digital Amplifier)

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Both Sky+ and Sky+HD boxes output DD 5.1 via the same optical digital connector (TOSlink).

Probably just need to configure the HD box to output DD.
    Under Settings > Audio check its outputting 'DolbyD'.

Double-check the optical lead is fully seated at both ends. Things can get knocked when your moving equipment around.

Are you getting stereo sound via optical connector?

Tried that - no luck.

It is working for the DVD's

Managed to fix it all. When I checked it all out the optical cable was in the wrong connector and there was still a scart connecting the TV to the HD box as the installer could not locate the HDMI channel on the TV (he hadn't been given the right remote in fairness). So I think I have it all sorted bar:

1. The Sky Remote will turn on and off TV etc but it won't change stations on TV from ext to HDMI for example, any ideas?

2. When the TV turns off, the sound doesn't. The SKY HD box also has to be turned to standby, is this standard?

Now on to the old SKY + box which was relocated to the bedroom. The installer actually replaced it with a different/new Sky + box. It sounds like the fan is gone as it is constantly making a loud noise, it does go off sometimes but not for long. Tried a number of options includng ringing sky who have organised an engineer visit. My question is, will they replace it with another + box or would they give me a HD box? If they give me a HD box, given I now have a HD sub do I need to pay extra to have HD in this room (if so I can still get the no sub HD stations right)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Try a different code for the Sky remote. Usually theres several code sets for each brand and common function codes often overlap such as vol+/vol- and power on/off.

Latest codes and programming guide

If I'm following your setup... you have sound being sent by 2 connections:

1: from Sky to Home Cinema via optical lead (stereo & dolby 5.1)
    2: from Sky to the TV via HDMI (stereo only) along with the image.

If the volume is up on the TV then you may have both sound sources running simultaneously. Turn the vol down on TV and leave it down for best results!

AFAIK if you want a mirror HD sub you have to pay for both (2x €15/pm) plus the multiroom sub (additional €15/pm). A bit of moaning down the phone and and they might see sense and offer a deal.

Latest Problem - Sky + box was moved to the bedroom and for some reason the installer replaced the box. The new box is making a hell of a lot of noise -fan I think. Anyway, rang SKY who are sending an engineer out.

Will they replace it with another SKY + box or a HD box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Latest Problem - Sky + box was moved to the bedroom and for some reason the installer replaced the box. The new box is making a hell of a lot of noise -fan I think. Anyway, rang SKY who are sending an engineer out.

Will they replace it with another SKY + box or a HD box?

Depends what stock he's given to use as replacements.No harm in asking him.

Re the problem selecting inputs using the Sky remote-press TV on it and use the Help button to cycle through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

offering me Sky Hd for €5 a month for 12 months.
    This is an invalid offer !!! I got the same sales pitch, but my latest bills were.........wait for it..........yep, €15 per month, que a few phone calls to Sky to complain and was told that the €5pm offer is invalid, they sorted me out via a different offer tho !!! wierd :eek::confused:

Advertisement