Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming tax back mid year

Options
  • 26-11-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm wondering what the procedure is to claim tax back mid year..home from oz and wouldn't mind getting some of the cash back from start of July. I know you need your payment summaries but are these only given at year end or what way does it work. Love to hear from anyone who has been through the process. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Also wondering about this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Also wondering about this :D

Can you claim back tax on a 457 or is it just for WHV?. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Hey all,
    I'm wondering what the procedure is to claim tax back mid year..home from oz and wouldn't mind getting some of the cash back from start of July. I know you need your payment summaries but are these only given at year end or what way does it work. Love to hear from anyone who has been through the process. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can. I think all you need to do is go into one of the Accountancy Companies that specialize in it. It takes longer if it is not at the end of the financial year (up to 6 weeks) but yes it is definitely possible.

PM me if you need the name of one in Sydney

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Yes you can. I think all you need to do is go into one of the Accountancy Companies that specialize in it. It takes longer if it is not at the end of the financial year (up to 6 weeks) but yes it is definitely possible.

PM me if you need the name of one in Sydney

You can also do it yourself ....

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    You can also do it yourself ....

Did you ever do it hussey?. I was thinking about this myself but apparently the Australian tax system is one of the most complex in the world!.

I know you can just download the software off the net and that, but there seems to be a lot of finickity options in there.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055981271

and scrible out year 2010 and write 2011, it' sonly difficult if you are claiming benifits which I assume they are not

hussey wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055981271

and scrible out year 2010 and write 2011, it' sonly difficult if you are claiming benifits which I assume they are not

Savage thread mate, cheers for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

But don't you need the payment summaries??

But don't you need the payment summaries??

You can request them after you leave, I got my payment summary when I left my old job, before the tax year end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spirow

1. You don't need payment summaries, but you DO need the information from them (income, tax paid, ABN) I would suggest emailing or calling the companies you worked for an asking for it.
    2. You can file a tax return early. Simple guide here and a little more detail here

Hope this helps!

http://taxrefundforfree.com.au

PS - if it helps, can you "Like" my website so that other backpackers / WHVs in Oz can do their tax return without paying agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

taxback.com are sorting out mine :) And my super too!

Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Right I'm going to request my payment summaries and go from there, try to do it myself. I'm just wondering, since the tax year in oz is not yet up, would this affect my tax free allowances. Would they accept that I have left the country? Do you have to give a copy of your passport??

Advertisement