Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What X-Plane's track record for upgrades?

• 27-11-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,526 ✭✭✭✭

Bought X-Plane 9 a couple of months ago and I see they're putting out teaser videos for XP 10, anyone know what the upgrade path typically is in terms of cost or do you just have to purchase the new version at the same price as a new customer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You have to purchase each one separately. No loyalty discount. I should know, I've bought 4 of them now, although V9 is the last one for me. X-Plane is just not slick enough, the systems modelling is poor and the flight model is starting to get dated. There are sims modelling spins, compressor stalls, aerodynamic blanking etc now, XP is still nowhere near that. XP10 will have to be a huge upgrade to be worth spending my money on it.

EDit: Just saw that XP10 has been delayed a few months. That's actually good news, it means they might actually be coming out with something polished and even exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Guys
    I take it you are aware of this

It's even better than the real thing.

dnme wrote: »
    Guys
    I take it you are aware of this

It's even better than the real thing.

Yup, do you have it? If so, what's it really like?

Confab wrote: »
    Yup, do you have it? If so, what's it really like?

It's utterly stunning! It brings the genre to a whole new level. It's not really a game, it's a sim that's very playable. Huge learning curve but the realism is addictive, the rendering, level of graphic detail and the sheer fidelity of the sim is unbelievable.

Every switch in the cockpit is active. Startup procedure takes 5 minutes. After this, all other current sims fade back into the early 1990's IYKWIM.

It's stunning, awesome, brilliant, annoying, complex and addictive. It's currently out on Beta 3 and if you pre-purchase, you get access to a very lively Beta forum.

Never mind the weapons and avionics. Just practicing take off's and VFR landings is addictive. It looks just like reality. I adore looking out the cockpit down at a so so real terrain, I adore looking at the wing and seeing every bolt, every hydraulic pump, every rivet and bits of scratched paint.

dnme wrote: »
    It's utterly stunning! It brings the genre to a whole new level. It's not really a game, it's a sim that's very playable. Huge learning curve but the realism is addictive, the rendering, level of graphic detail and the sheer fidelity of the sim is unbelievable.

Every switch in the cockpit is active. Startup procedure takes 5 minutes. After this, all other current sims fade back into the early 1990's IYKWIM.

It's stunning, awesome, brilliant, annoying, complex and addictive. It's currently out on Beta 3 and if you pre-purchase, you get access to a very lively Beta forum.

Never mind the weapons and avionics. Just practicing take off's and VFR landings is addictive. It looks just like reality. I adore looking out the cockpit down at a so so real terrain, I adore looking at the wing and seeing every bolt, every hydraulic pump, every rivet and bits of scratched paint.

Great stuff! What about frame rates and the like? I've 4GB RAM, a Core2Duo 2.4ghz, Radeon HD5770, an new mobo and SSD drive coming in the next few days too. What rates are you getting and what are your PC specs?

• Advertisement

ATM

Frame rates are variable because the current Betas are not optomised. I am getting anywhere between 18 and 60 with some stutter as stuff loads from disk with the following hardware (pasted from my sig on anther board)

HAF 932, Asus P6X58D-E, Intel i7-920, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair Dominator 6GB, WD 1TB HDD, Sapphire 5870 Vapour X 1GB, (1 x iiYama E2410HDS 24" LCD), Nothing OC'd: Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controller, Logitech G27 Race Controller, Logitech G15 Keyboard, TrackIR 5(w/pro clip), Windows 7 64bit.

I am running the game at very high settings @ full resolution with water / shades and blur set to medium. Your setup should be fine especially when they start to optimise the thing. If I was you I would go higher on the RAM and upgrade to 64Bit Win7. Search youtube for DCS a-10c, there are already tons of user vids up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

coylemj wrote: »
    Bought X-Plane 9 a couple of months ago and I see they're putting out teaser videos for XP 10, anyone know what the upgrade path typically is in terms of cost or do you just have to purchase the new version at the same price as a new customer?

Its very well supported between major releases. Anyone with version 9 should be running the latest update which is 9.60. It will continue to be updated until 10 is released. As for offering a discount for existing customers, while it would be nice it doesn't happen at least not yet.
    It would be similar to Microsoft giving a discount on Flight if you have owned FSX or FS9. I stand to be corrected but I don't think they do this.

Advertisement