Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

made up d4 accent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Yes true but the accents in both Donegal and Canada have been there for a lot longer than 20 or 30 years, I think thats the issue.

Languages change, so do accents. Why does everyone have a problem with this? Is it because the accent is different that everyone hates it or because it's new? If you want the English language to not change well then I suppose we better take languages in ye Olde English, it evolved from then, it'll continue to evolve. Be it adding words like 'like' to the end of sentences or speaking in txt spk, the English language is continually changing and there's nothing much anyone can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People hate it because it's a contrived and artificial affection, used by people who purposely try to sound like Americans they see on television. It's not an evolution of language, it's posh kids pretending to be Yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Languages change, so do accents. Why does everyone have a problem with this? Is it because the accent is different that everyone hates it or because it's new? If you want the English language to not change well then I suppose we better take languages in ye Olde English, it evolved from then, it'll continue to evolve. Be it adding words like 'like' to the end of sentences or speaking in txt spk, the English language is continually changing and there's nothing much anyone can do about it.

You are mixing up speech and language.

You are mixing up speech and language.

Probably am, explain it to me in a nutshell.

Actually, don't bother, I gotcha ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

There is a big difference between an accent that develops over a couple of generations and a annoying fake accent that someone picks up in a month. Anyone with a D4 accent didn't always talk like that, does this mean that they were ashamed of their original accent?

Anyone with a D4 accent didn't always talk like that, does this mean that they were ashamed of their original accent?

Yeah, of course, they were ashamed, that's the reason :rolleyes:

I'm sure that there's kids been born now to parents with this accent, they'll maybe always talk like that, does that make it okay then?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

There is a big difference between an accent that develops over a couple of generations and a annoying fake accent that someone picks up in a month. Anyone with a D4 accent didn't always talk like that, does this mean that they were ashamed of their original accent?

even if it was originally made up, after a number of years being around it where people 'made it up' others wil pick up on it, from that point on its an independent accent. this has happened so for case of people growing up around the accent - it isnt a 'fake' accent, its a genuine accent.

I love how this accent winds up people, I personally cant stand the sudod4 accents you hear off them folk north of the river but i dont complain :)

Yeah, of course, they were ashamed, that's the reason :rolleyes: You are contradicting yourself with that answer ;)

I'm sure that there's kids been born now to parents with this accent, they'll maybe always talk like that, does that make it okay then? They might do like their parents and change back to a normal accent ;)

even if it was originally made up, after a number of years being around it where people 'made it up' others wil pick up on it, from that point on its an independent accent. this has happened so for case of people growing up around the accent - it isnt a 'fake' accent, its a genuine accent.

I love how this accent winds up people, I personally cant stand the sudod4 accents you hear off them folk north of the river but i dont complain :)
    It didn't develop as it came from nowhere which makes it fake ;) If people want to create an accent they should at least make it more pleasing on the ear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

This is the real Dublin accent, full of character
    go to 0.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Crosáidí wrote: »
    This is the real Dublin accent, full of character religious educational state sponsored brainwashing
    go to 0.45

Fixed it for you...

mods are only mods in the forums they moderate, outside that they are just normal users
    Yes I know but that doesn't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

A friend of my brothers went to the gaeltacht in Galway years ago for 3 weeks and arrived back home with a D4 accent. He didn't live it down for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Can anyone tell me if Michelle (the one on the left) is speaking with a D4 accent or is there a norn iron twang in it?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Can anyone tell me if Michelle (the one on the left) is speaking with a D4 accent or is there a norn iron twang in it?:confused:

Not even close to a D4 accent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

That accent is such an odd thing. During the last ten years I've moved from Loreto, Foxrock to the Institute to Trinity, and yet I haven't frequently encountered that really exaggerated D4 accent, particularly in school (though Trinity students are probably the worst offenders.) Generally, people who put on that stupid voice are usually insecure about their own accent and want to cover it with an "acceptable" one. I find it difficult to keep a straight face when I have to talk to someone who insists on elongating their vowels to the point of incomprehensibility.

Not even close to a D4 accent that.

Then, where's it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Then, where's it from?

Northern Ireland. I'm not seeing how you get D4 from that, except the constant use of the word 'like' but half the country, if not more, seems to do that now regardless of accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

About two months ago I was bored around the city centre, so I decided I'd go see the Book of Kells as I hadn't before. I joined a tour of Trinity that was already taking place and the tour guide, a philosophy student, literally pronounced 'square' as "sqwaar".

Pretentious tit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

This is quintessential D4. Met her once, total bitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

why do country people,mainly women who have just moved to Dublin suddenly get a D4 accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Northern Ireland. I'm not seeing how you get D4 from that, except the constant use of the word 'like' but half the country, if not more, seems to do that now regardless of accent.

You can't really hear it in that interview - if you watch Under Ether on RTE, she pronounces a lot of "O"s as "I"s, arind for around, etc.

Sorry to go slightly ot but I was just curious about her twang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It didn't develop as it came from nowhere which makes it fake ;) If people want to create an accent they should at least make it more pleasing on the ear ;)
    Yeah, and if I started speaking in a Klingon accent I'd expect that people wouldn't take me very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

people can scrub up their accents if they want, tends to be a woman thing more so but the sad thing is too much n it'll just inevitably sound like a hybrid of southern english / american, which is almost certain to get you decapitated abroad whilst stoking somewhat similar emotions at home

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I think it is an annoying accent... a lot of the girls arent even worth lookin at so maybe its a power thing>>> "my accent sounds different so im right for you or better than you"

Star Bingo wrote: »
    people can scrub up their accents if they want, tends to be a woman thing more so but the sad thing is too much n it'll just inevitably sound like a hybrid of southern english / american, which is almost certain to get you decapitated abroad whilst stoking somewhat similar emotions at home
    I know Americans that haven't a clue what Irish people with fake accents are talking about. So if they are trying to be more American they have failed badly.

I know Americans that haven't a clue what Irish people with fake accents are talking about. So if they are trying to be more American they have failed badly.

They also sound like sad wannabes from the celtic tiger era which is well dead!

They also sound like sad wannabes from the celtic tiger era which is well dead!
    Exactly, they probably wanted a new accent to go with the 4x4 and mansion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

I'm sure the accent goes really well with the negative equity mortgage.....Right Alison? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Nothing worse than a contrived D4 accent... Sooo annoying! Most people originally from D4 don't even talk like that!
    I know a girl that's originally from Galway but she adopted that accent after a few years at a Dublin university and it is ridiculous!!! What is it that makes people think they sound better with that accent??? I think it just reflects how desperate they are to seem posh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

NO NO NO NO NO

PLEASE NOT ANOTHER D4 THREAD :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I know a girl from Bray who calls coke "cuke". She's a right spastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

One thing I will say in this. I don't know what American accent they're trying to imitate. I've been to California, New York, Boston, Virginia, North Carolina and DC and not a single one of those accents sounds anything like this weird D4ish one. The real Californian accent is actually very pleasant to listen to, nothing like what the Hills portray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I know a girl from Bray who calls coke "cuke". She's a right spastic.

years ago at a party a girl like that from bray started slagging northsiders. she flipped when i pointed out that she is a northsider, with bray being in north wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

One thing I will say in this. I don't know what American accent they're trying to imitate. I've been to California, New York, Boston, Virginia, North Carolina and DC and not a single one of those accents sounds anything like this weird D4ish one. The real Californian accent is actually very pleasant to listen to, nothing like what the Hills portray.

the general american is in the r's i think, can't quite nail it but the posh southern english poof is most definitely in the o's, this is where they reveal emselves most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Surprised no-ones mentioned the lisp that sometimes goes with this (made up) D4 accent, I must be the only one who notices it.

"OMG the Dort wosssssss loike ssssso pocked,."

"Con oi get a panini with peppersssss and Cherry tomotossss pleasssse"

Gah!

As someone who's not from Dublin originally , can I just say the proper D4 area accent is quite nice in that it's understandable, seems to be mostly older people though who use it, and this new one has crept in and made students everywhere sound like bad oirish copies of the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

You can't really hear it in that interview - if you watch Under Ether on RTE, she pronounces a lot of "O"s as "I"s, arind for around, etc.

Sorry to go slightly ot but I was just curious about her twang!

Replacing an 'O' sound with an 'I' sound is a Northern Irish accent, a D4 accent replaces 'O' sounds with more 'O' sounds. Arooooouuunnd, loike. Or replacing coke with cooke (coo as in 'cool')

LINGUISTIC FUN!!

Back on topic, after spending a few (too many) years in UCD I've noticed that about 90% of first years have changed their accent within the first few months. It's a bit like that Simpsons episode where the school gets uniforms. Everythings grey, everyone wears the same things and eventually they all act and sound the same.

If only it would rain and turn everything to rainbows. /Rides off on unicorn

• Advertisement

Replacing an 'O' sound with an 'I' sound is a Northern Irish accent, a D4 accent replaces 'O' sounds with more 'O' sounds. Arooooouuunnd, loike. Or replacing coke with cooke (coo as in 'cool')

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the "rindabyte" thing. Sounds completely Northern to me, no d4 :confused:

Exactly, they probably wanted a new accent to go with the 4x4 and mansion :rolleyes:

Exactly. their daddies cant afford it anymore! so they prob shud cake down their accent aswell as their makeup and clothes! recession and all!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "ryndabyte", "clydee" (cloudy), "sythe" (south) stuff is totally part of the annoying D4 repertoire, not just nordie - think of Lorraine Keane. I would credit her with creating the monster actually...
    sagat2 wrote: »
    Elocution lessons
    I know you're pretending it isn't a horribly contrived accent and simply people speaking properly, but I'd imagine it makes an elocution teacher's ears bleed. I speak clearly and don't resort to bollocks like the D4 accent.
    Is it? I reckon you hear as many fairly well-off kids putting on scobe accents to appear hard as you do putting on a D4 accent to seem posh.
    But even if they put it on, the accent itself isn't a fake one, unlike the D4 one (albeit no longer fake, but it sure as hell started off fake).
    Would you rather people who actually live in Dublin 4 to fake a north Dublin accent just to please you?
    No?
    I really urge anyone that has a problem with an accent....that's right, an accent, to cop on and grow up. It doesn't paint you in a good light at all and you come across as pretty pathetic or as one of my southside brethren would say
    treble morto for you loike
    Certain accents are painful to listen to - don't see how that's unreasonable. It doesn't bother me that some people detest the Cork accent - and that isn't even put on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I have a friend who attends UCD along with myself. We are both from Cavan. I always marvel how after less than a full year in college, her accent is completely different. She says "Haloo" instead of Hello, "Loike" and "Oh Really" and "Banter", which many others from the South Dublin area seem to do. I wouldn't begin to mock someones accent, but what does fascinate me is how and why people change accents :). I am quite proud that my sister bucked the trend, by heading to UCD with a very well spoken, posh accent, and returned after 4 years with a Galway accent because of those whe lived with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Not that somebody from Galway dosn't can't sound posh :O, I mean she had a very neutral, posh accent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dub.

If i`m not mistaken this accent seemed to originate with Blackrock boy Bob Geldof in the late seventies.

He was considered fairly cool back then, so i figure the local d4 kids just started mimicking his odd way of speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

I think they all sound like Lloyd Grossman with a mouth full of marbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Pretty infuriating alright. I was chatting to one lad in the pub one night with such an accent. I assumed he was from south Dublin until he declared "I'm from Sligo". Now, I have no problem with a South County Dublin accent. It's only natural to develop an accent over time based on the your surroundings and the people who occupy it. But this business of adopting an accent based on 2 years studying in UCD/Griffith College is the height of pretentiousness. When I told yer man that I come from Mayo, he replied "Roight. How do you fing living in Dublin?" rather than "Wait til we get ye Mayo cúnts up to Markivecz Park and we'll hammer seven shades a' shíte outta ye, ya Mayo bollicks ya!" :confused:

Brilliant. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Why do people hate this whole "D4" thing?

It seems to be the thing people hate more than anything....D4's...

Yet, other than talk different to 90% of the country (as do we all) and dress like idiots and glow orange from fake tan, they're relatively harmless...in Uggs and whoever the latest fashion brand is (i think it was Tommy Hillfiger in my day, i know abercrombie and fitch had a run, now some other lads surely are the latest "label" to be seen in) not a whole lot unlike girls in hoop earings and in pijamus on the street, equally as annoying / funny / harmless..

The MAIN difference I noticed from living in Sandymount (Southside D4), Complex behind Connolly Station (North inner city) and Drumcondra (North suburbs) is that D4s don't drink and piss on the street, don't break into your car, don't grafiti anything freshly painted, dont bum change or smokes, dont hang around street corners in dozens after midnight in hoodies, don't carry weapons and don't joy ride...

Trust me, you can do a lot worse than having D4's as neighbours, as those areas (southside in general) is an immeasurably nicer place to live in Dublin than inner city or North inner city.

Which is why i can't understand those people being the most hated... :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Then, where's it from?

Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I'm the type of person who just picks up accents unwittingly. I don't notice it, I don't particularly like it, but I can't help it. A year or two of living/working with someone and I start to sound just like them. I have no idea why, it certainly isn't deliberate, and when someone mentions it to me I'm genuinely shocked, but I don't think people should be hounded for it.

It's an accent. Get over it.

I'm from the country and I've lived in Dublin/suburb for almost ten years now. When I was in college, because of the people I lived with I picked up a Wexford accent and all of their sayings. People do take the mick sometimes because of the fact that I've now picked up a Dublin accent (more a posh one than a knacker one but that's only because of the area I work in, it could have been either) and my other half has told me that as soon as I go home and am around my family for a few days I slip right back into the country accent. Again, i don't notice any of this, and a casual observer would most likely think I'm faking it.

I don't see the big deal really. Personally I'd much prefer to listen to a strong D4 accent than a strong North side one, but that's a personal preference. I love the Cork accent (which grates on a lot of people) and dislike the Northern accent (which most people I know love). It's really not something to get that hung up on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement