Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current snow, ice and travel reports for local area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

How is the road from the N11 to Charlesland? I'm in Sanydford now and not looking forward to the drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Whats the weather like in Greystones? Is it snowing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

lakeroad wrote: »
    Whats the weather like in Greystones? Is it snowing?

No snow. There are nearby showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Heavy snow in town now though fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

audreyp wrote: »
    How is the road from the N11 to Charlesland? I'm in Sanydford now and not looking forward to the drive home.

The road is fine down from the N11 - the normal driving lane is clear however the overtaking lane is still covered with snow/ice for the majority of the run down to Charlesland.

There was a shower of sleet/snow in the last half hour but has eased off now. Clouds do not look threatening at the moment. Roads still good up into Greystones.

Looking up at the mountains (Glen of the Downs) it is starting to mist a little so there is a good chance of freezing fog very soon up that way.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Just a follow on from astro's post.

It will start to freeze up soon after dark so take it easy on the roads people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Anyone know driving conditions around Dublin I have family coming into Dublin airport around 6 then drive to limk would they be better off staying the night

Link below to Dublin City Council traffic cameras.

Lots of shots of M50 which id imagine will be your main choice.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

check out the live webcam in Kilmacanogue to see how traffic is moving through Glen of the Downs - takes about 40 seconds for buffering then picture comes up

http://michaelr.camstreams.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

danjo wrote: »
    I like this site as it gives lots of detail on weather forecast.

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Wicklow/Greystones/hour_by_hour.html

A weather site based in Norway that updates every 12 hours? Not sure how much use that is.

The site currently shows a forecast as of 08:50 this morning, with the next update scheduled for 17:30 (any time now). Given the highly variable conditions we really need hourly updates. Met Eirrean a far better choice. Updated every few hours:
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Link below to Dublin City Council traffic cameras.

Lots of shots of M50 which id imagine will be your main choice.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

Thanks. That's a nice website too

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

darter wrote: »
    A weather site based in Norway that updates every 12 hours? Not sure how much use that is.

The site currently shows a forecast as of 08:50 this morning, with the next update scheduled for 17:30 (any time now). Given the highly variable conditions we really need hourly updates. Met Eirrean a far better choice. Updated every few hours:

"every few hours" my eye. Perhaps during the day. Showing 17.00 update for Leinster and it's now 23.10. Over 6 hours. Not much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

FirstIn wrote: »
    "every few hours" my eye. Perhaps during the day. Showing 17.00 update for Leinster and it's now 23.10. Over 6 hours. Not much use.

Ah yes, you have me there. It is still showing 17:00 as the last update. It's every few hours during the civil service day... which, you have to remember, is the shortest working day of anywhere in the world at 6.5 hours. I usually only check it in the mornings and mid-afternoons.

(Irish civil service has 8 hour days with 1.5 hours for lunch, 32.5 working hours per week - no wonder the country is in trouble... but please let's not sidetrack this thread or it will get closed down)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Rasmus wrote: »
    That site seems good, but isn't it supposed to snow tonight? Or does snow count as percipitation...

Yes, hail, rain, sleet and snow - according to Wiki.
    No snow in Greystones last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Ah yes, you have me there. It is still showing 17:00 as the last update. It's every few hours during the civil service day... which, you have to remember, is the shortest working day of anywhere in the world at 6.5 hours. I usually only check it in the mornings and mid-afternoons.

;)

What's Greystones like today guys?

Cold and wet.

Light showers of hail/sleet.

The roads are okay though?

Yes all roads are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Any traffic updates available? There has been some snow in Dublin. How much has fallen in the stones? Is Bray Head passable?

• Advertisement

There has been a few snow showers but noting stuck. Roads in Greystones are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭nickhx

Windgate closed by the gards due to conditions about 30 minutes ago

Really terrible out there now. I was up the SAR, close to impassable. Car crashed, (not me) getting winched on to a tow wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

FirstIn wrote: »
    Really terrible out there now. I was up the SAR, close to impassable. Car crashed, (not me) getting winched on to a tow wagon.

SAR?

SAR, Southern Access Route, i.e the road from the main Kilcoole Roundabout up to the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

From AARoadwatch website :
    *N11/WICKLOW* A six car collision has occured on the N11 southbound just before the exit for Newtownmountkennedy. Roadconditions are icy, apporach with care. *WICKLOW* The Bray/Greystones Rd (R761) at Windgate Hill is impassable. Also the Farrankelly Rd into Greystones is extremely icy

Edit : Snap, littlefriend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

copied from aaroadwatch [updated ten mins ago]

*N11/WICKLOW* A six car collision has occured on the N11 southbound just before the exit for Newtownmountkennedy. Roadconditions are icy, apporach with care. *WICKLOW* The Bray/Greystones Rd (R761) at Windgate Hill is impassable. Also the Farrankelly Rd into Greystones is extremely icy. Heavy snow around Arklow and Bray. The Sally Gap & Wicklow Gap are impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

nickhx wrote: »
    Windgate closed by the gards due to conditions about 30 minutes ago

It can change so fast. I was on it just before 7pm & it was clear - unlike last night when it was mayhem.

Just walked up the drive, it seems like it was gritted but it's hard to tell as it's falling heavily. Not a sinner on it, very unusual for this hour, there's always cars on it until midnight at least.

Will post in the morning again before I leave for work if anyone wants to know - I know some other people use it as their way into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Decision just made & parents texted that St. Kevin's will be closed on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its forecast to be a long cold winter - are the schools just going to stay closed until the spring? Most people seem to be able to make it into work, why not teachers also (and a lot of schools elsewhere in the country are open).

Advertisement