Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current snow, ice and travel reports for local area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Work and school are different kettles of fish. It's not a teacher issue. Adults can take the dart, buses or drive earlier or later to work. With children, that's 4 car trips in a short period of time, busy car parks, icy pavements, dangerous conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Farankelly road and Windgates both impassable according to AA roadwatch this morning.

Gonna try Delgany but I can't imagine that's any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Anyone attempted the farrankally road, is work underway to clear and reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Windgates was just about manageable at 6.15 this morning. M11/M50 was bad and I would say could be gridlocked once traffic gets on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

More heavy showers on the way.

There are snow drifts on the green in the middle of Charlesland.

I would seriously avoid any driving this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Nobody can get onto the n11. Everybody turning back down to charlesland.

This will give a good idea of Dublin for anyone thinking of traveling.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Ok so I have just been to Bray and back from Charlesland. I had heard not to go by Farrankelly or Windgates so I went through Delgany.

That was fine except for a little bit outside Delgany Wood. RWD could not get up the small incline so it turned and then I got going again.

On to the N11 not a bother and up to Bray no prob. I left at 8.10am and I am back about 5 mins.

Coming home there just now I came the Farrankelly from the n11 and that was fine but it's the other side that's is a nightmare (towards N11).

Artic. lorry in overtaking lane stuck directly opposite Eden Gate entrance. Both lanes blocked from there. Cars reversing back down it, cars abandoned and even cars & Jeeps driving up the wrong side of the Dual carriage way to get into Eden Gate.

Gardai at Jackie Skelley roundabout now I assume advising people not to go Farrankelly and I think I may have seen a gritter on it's way up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jimjay wrote: »
    Anyone attempted the farrankally road, is work underway to clear and reopen?

I made it in an ordinary car all the way to the N11. Got stuck once because a a car in front that was stopped. Lucky I had a spade!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Got down Windgates this morning, it was lethal but do-able in a 4x4.

Just heard the guards have closed it off again. Dunno how I'm going to get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Lance Vance

loyatemu wrote: »
    its forecast to be a long cold winter - are the schools just going to stay closed until the spring? Most people seem to be able to make it into work, why not teachers also (and a lot of schools elsewhere in the country are open).

I agree with you that schools should be able to open in the snow. However I think it is unhelpful to suggest that the only reason schools close is due to teachers not being able to get to work. I imagine that schools close on the basis of health and safety of the students while they are in school and while they are travelling to and from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The buses are all terminating at Bray at the moment

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Weather-Disruptions/

Weather Disruptions
    Wednesday, December 01, 2010
    Updated 11:06

84 Terminating at Bray Station.
    84x Terminating at Southern Cross Rd, unable to serve Newcastle, Kilcoole or Greystones
    145 Terminating at Bray Station.
    184 Cancelled
    185 Cancelled.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I agree with you that schools should be able to open in the snow. However I think it is unhelpful to suggest that the only reason schools close is due to teachers not being able to get to work. I imagine that schools close on the basis of health and safety of the students while they are in school and while they are travelling to and from school.

you're right - I was probably being a little harsh, I was more referring to yesterday when IMO the schools could have opened, than today as the weather has clearly worsened.

OTOH plenty of other countries have consistently worse weather than us and life goes on. The only change that seems to have been made after the last big freeze is that we have stockpiled a lot of salt, but nobody seems to be doing anything to clear footpaths (even in the city centre they are lethal) and that is what is mainly preventing people from safely getting around (for short journeys at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So, there is no buses travelling in or out of greystones at the moment? We just have the dart? It's snowing really heavily out there at the moment. Can't believe there was a complete thaw in greystones yesterday and now we're covered in a white sheet again:eek:

Irish Rail are playing a blinder. No shocker with Dublin bus. Their tagline should be 'because we feel like it'

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

So we are close to being cut off from Bray and Kilcoole. (Damn dart aside). What great news. Long may the snow continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Why is the Farrankelly road impassable? Is there a crash or are they waiting for gritters? Are both directions closed or just the n11 direction?

I am just wondering how to get home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Yeah, also wondering about that ?
    Any more news about the Farrenkelly road, it was mad this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

The farrankelly road is fine as long as you take it handy. However, there were some cars left in the middle of it earlier this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Incidents of cannibalism reported in Newtown Mount Kennedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 rav1976

Shoelaces wrote: »
    It's a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rasmus wrote: »
    Irish Rail are playing a blinder. No shocker with Dublin bus. Their tagline should be 'because we feel like it'
    would you rather that they risk the lives of passengers?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    would you rather that they risk the lives of passengers?

No of course not! But I am talking about their service in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Folks, the last 10 minutes it has snowed very heavily in C'land. Anyone in town should really look to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

As Mrs Quackhart just remarked, the paths outside ours (in Charlesland Park) have had a lot of people traffic today, after that last flurry you would swear no one has walked by.

Average footprint fill time all day has not been longer than about twenty minutes IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Shoelaces wrote: »

To be fair to the gentle but hungry folk of Newtown this type of behaviour normally only happens during periods of extreme weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Anyone know if it would be safe to drive from Charlesland to the DART station?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Are the DARTs even running from town to greystones?

Decks79 wrote: »
    Are the DARTs even running from town to greystones?

Darts are good and you would prob want to be a bit nuts to drive down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah I wouldn't really recommend driving tbh.

Are we in for some more of the same tomorrow then?

Advertisement