Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise: The ending it was denied.

Options
  • 27-11-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I recently got my hands on the Andy Mangels & Michael A Martin Star Trek, Enterprise novel, "The Good That Men Do" (IBSN 978-0-7434-4001-1).

It's a re-write of the ending of "these are the voyages" and goes some way to clean up the mess left at the end of that atrocious (possibly the worst episode all?) episode, in particular the sudden and silly death of Tripp Tucker, probably one of the more popular characters in the show.

Not a bad read and although the story is still difficult to justify, it does make you feel a bit better about the characters, even if the way they make decisions early on in the story is a little rushed.

Some of the background story is well put together and the Romulan references are well thought out and kept tight to the ST cannon.

It seemed to me that this book was a bit more for the fans: used in the same way that Star wars wrote a later novel about how Bobba Fett managed to get himself out of the monsters belly in the aftermath of "The Return Of The Jedi".

If you are a fan of Enterprise, you'll enjoy it, and it sets the premise for what should have been the main story arc of the entire series: The Earth Romulan War and the establishment of the Federation, of which a number of books were written over the last few years with still more to come.

I'd recommend having a look at it and it's available for a few Euros on Amazon.

51Ot7RyHZrL.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

hmmm... sounds intriguing

purchased, 6 quid inc delivery on bookdepository.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I read before somewhere, that the writers wanted to open season 5 (if there was going to be one) with Trip alive & well. Apparently, it was some kind of trick/plot to fake his death, and that he wasn't actually killed in it. I'll try find the source again, but it was a comment from one of the writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I read before somewhere, that the writers wanted to open season 5 (if there was going to be one) with Trip alive & well. Apparently, it was some kind of trick/plot to fake his death, and that he wasn't actually killed in it. I'll try find the source again, but it was a comment from one of the writers.

Some of the story line in the book relates to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

Must give this a read. Will be hard to erase the mental damage caused by the final episode though. Most pathetic attempt at a tie-in of all time.

Very disappointing, especially after the outstanding send-off The Next Generation got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

scoobyjack wrote: »
    Must give this a read. Will be hard to erase the mental damage caused by the final episode though. Most pathetic attempt at a tie-in of all time.

Very disappointing, especially after the outstanding send-off The Next Generation got.

It felt more like TNG - The Lost Episode :rolleyes: Very poorly done. Is Berman & Co still involved in the franchise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

I think Berman quit around a year after it was cancelled, probably not 100% voluntarily. Apparently even the cast of Enterprise were mightily peeved at the final episode, before it began shooting.

scoobyjack wrote: »
    I think Berman quit around a year after it was cancelled, probably not 100% voluntarily. Apparently even the cast of Enterprise were mightily peeved at the final episode, before it began shooting.

I couldn't blame them at all. To find that they are outsiders in their own show while the most boring relationship on ST, the Riker/Troy rubbish, is played out must have been like a stab in an already dying mans back.

hmmm... sounds intriguing

purchased, 6 quid inc delivery on bookdepository.co.uk

What was the verdict?

KenSwee wrote: »
    What was the verdict?

the verdict is unread, the Alastair Reynolds book I also ordered turned up first and as my favourite author it got priority :D

Will get there soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Read this a couple of years back, thought it was quite good!
    ..Must get it out again...

• Advertisement

so far its a confusing mess

read about 8 chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

so far its a confusing mess

read about 8 chapters.

Well they do need to undo the B&B mess!!

Even Many Cotto was only starting to get to grips with it, after he had season 3 and 4

Even Many Cotto was only starting to get to grips with it, after he had season 3 and 4

can't justifiably re-write canon material just to suit yourself though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

can't justifiably re-write canon material just to suit yourself though...

B&B did though ha

I thought that at the start as well but given the utter rubbish it was replacing, it really couldn't have got any worse.
    They must have paid the entire Enterprise cast a whole lot of cash to keep their mouths shut.
    I wonder if Bakula has an autobiography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

Didn't like this book when it came out, but then wasn't overly impressed by any of the post-series Enterprise books.

Advertisement