Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this attatchment?

• 27-11-2010 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Any tool buffs know what this is

It was with a standard diy mains drill that I've had for some yrs. I just never knew what it was for but my curiousity is getting the better of me now.

Thanks Papa_bear

edit:Its got a magnetic ring in the top center btw if that helps. my guess is its for running in screws/bolts maybe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

my guess its to hold your drill bit when drilling

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Well it isn't a chuk so I cant see how its for holding a drill bit while drilling.

Here's another photo dissassembled.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Looks like it could be a "quick release chuck" for holding screwdriver bits, possibly with a clutch mechanism, to avoid overtightening screws in the process? Does it have a six or eight sided hole down its centre, for holding the screwdriver bits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    Its a spare chuck head for the drill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The hole in the boss appears to be key-hole shaped (the key pointing away from the camera).

Can you show us a photo of the underside of the boss?

And what make and model of drill is it?

Possible SDS attachment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

sogood wrote: »
    Looks like it could be a "quick release chuck" for holding screwdriver bits, possibly with a clutch mechanism, to avoid overtightening screws in the process? Does it have a six or eight sided hole down its centre, for holding the screwdriver bits?

No the hole in the centre is circular although it is magnetic. I can only imagine it is some kind of accessary to hold screws/bolts (not brass ones though), but i cant see how.

I thought it might fit over a smaller chuk and could maybe be used to open/close the jaws without the key by gripping the geared edge (see 3rd photo) but it doesnt sit evenly over it.

I inheritted this so i didnt get a manual. It is an AEG sbe480r mains drill about 13 yrs old roughly.

More photos.... 2 are of the underside of the boss and the casing

The mystery continues!

Thanks for yer help anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

Hello,
    could it be one of those cones for attaching to a screwgun when drywalling?

Advertisement