Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive white flash in sky?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

just seen a big white doubble flash here in celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

Just heard thunder at 02:39 but had the curtains closed. Lightening I guess?

mass wrote: »
    Just heard thunder at 02:39 but had the curtains closed. Lightening I guess?

another flash here

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mass

Here's the radar live detail. Looks like a fairly big one just offshore:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Just seen this myself no thunder though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

just been lookin out for it myself and seen a clear one happening, its 100% lightning as i seen the bolt, + if u check out met.ie youll see theres a storm just off the coast working its way inland
    u can view the animated map here http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

WEB_radar_201011270015.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Seen several of them myself coming from the eastern direction. was a bit worrying indeed. myself seen a bright strong blue flash without sound. well now, but just heard thunder. so people i think you can relax now. 2012 didn't come early nor is north korea nuking the planet :)

doesnt this type of activity usually occur just before an earthquake? I have hard that as the ground shifts it gives off a sort of an earthlight which is caused by gases being released,could be a biggie:eek:

We're not on the edge of a teutonic plate, hence no earthquakes in Ireland. It's ok to move out from the doorframe/under the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Nah, someone's just nuking the British West Coast that's all. And that's not snow, it's ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Was definitely lightening, thunder isn't always heard when you see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

seen this in kilkenny at same time as OP and another about 5 mins later frightening sh***e outta me huge big white flash lit up whole sky no thunder heard

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was walking home last night and saw/heard it. No thunder at first but by the time I got home it was deafening. Was glad to avoid getting soaked!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

You were not seeing things,, I drive a taxi in Dundalk, and from about 12.30am today I started seeing those white flashes,, was in forkhill at the time,, it was hard to work out were it was coming from,, my last call of the night took me as far as Collon near Drogheda,, By that time it looked as though it was along the east coast somewhere straight out from Clogherhead or there abouts. Must have been lightning,, jus not sure,, Very long thunder storm that was at 4.30am.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

ardle1 wrote: »
    You were not seeing things,, I drive a taxi in Dundalk, and from about 12.30am today I started seeing those white flashes,, was in forkhill at the time,, it was hard to work out were it was coming from,, my last call of the night took me as far as Collon near Drogheda,, By that time it looked as though it was along the east coast somewhere straight out from Clogherhead or there abouts. Must have been lightning,, jus not sure,, Very long thunder storm that was at 4.30am.:confused:

It is very odd isnt it,I never saw it before in Ireland.It started from when i saw it about 1200 last night and was still going tis morning,Flashes were going over every five to ten minutes.I heard large booms didnt sound like thunder tbh.
    But apparently been happening over few days.I didnt see it before last night though.
    I was thinking top gear was causing it lol :D:o Then i was thinking meteor shower,never imagined would be lightening,as i have said blue to orange flashes very odd :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cazzerliam

I was out in Howth and there was thunder and lightning continuously all nite but yea when i came home to meath, everyone said there was lighning but no thunder, she was out at sea i suppose..odd thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I live in Drogheda and I saw these too, I literally thought my neighbor was out taking photos in his garden!!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

My sister was texting me last night, freaking out, telling me that there were big white flashes coming through the curtains. I thought she was going crazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cazzerliam

Just found an explanation to lightning but not thunder
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

Heat lightning
    Main article: Heat lightning
    Heat lightning is a common name for a lightning flash that appears to produce no thunder because it occurs too far away for the thunder to be heard. The sound waves dissipate before they reach the observer

The humidity was mad in howth so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Any pics of the lightning last night? My mate was on his way home from night duty he said it was unbelievable, dogs going crazy everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

There seems to have been a lightning strike in St. Gabriel's (Clontarf) at approx 7.30 am on Sat. It knocked out the cable tv, dsl broadband and tripped some breakers in my parents' place (and some of their neighbours) which is near the church. Their dsl modem is fritzed, while the digital box was reset ok (with some help from UPC) and they were able to reset the breakers.

My dad and some of their neighbours reported feeling a charge in the air after the strike. I'm guessing some sort of current was induced in the lines entering the houses which did the damage. I might invest in a few surge protectors now! I'd never have thought lightning could cause damage like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Username 10

I saw about 8 of them. They were blue though, not white. The first one was at 11:30 while watching late late toy show. The last one was at about 4 in the morning. They were really bright even when coming through the closed blinds, they were like strobe lights. Nothing on the rte or met eireann site.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yakuza wrote: »
    There seems to have been a lightning strike in St. Gabriel's (Clontarf) at approx 7.30 am on Sat. It knocked out the cable tv, dsl broadband and tripped some breakers in my parents' place (and some of their neighbours) which is near the church. Their dsl modem is fritzed, while the digital box was reset ok (with some help from UPC) and they were able to reset the breakers.
    I saw it! It was about 07:45 and I was just outside Clontarf Castle and saw forked lightning strike down towards right where St. Gabriel's Road is. It was followed by a massive bellow of thunder and a short, but very powerful flurry of snow (which actually hurt any exposed skin).

A little after that there was a standard bright flash that turned the world to white around me.

It was all very surreal at that time as there were only a few cars gliding slowly past and alarms going off everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's a thing called 'Thundersnow':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

Any pics of the lightning last night? My mate was on his way home from night duty he said it was unbelievable, dogs going crazy everywhere!

heres a comparrison,it was very very bright

148668_464207982746_748362746_5670266_3825824_n.jpg

second latter

76096_464178867746_748362746_5669720_5862984_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

Heres a vid of it , enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Wow, really cool video :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

how crap are RTE an extremely rare weather event and not a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Heres a vid of it , enjoy.
    Very appropriate sound track :)- where was that filmed (just the approximate area)?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought I saw a flash there, anyone else?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 BSHAC

Just saw one out my window - freaky. Seems boards has the answer though!

Advertisement