Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloudkicker (metal [for Malice]/ambient/prog/weird!)

Options
  • 27-11-2010 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Right so after reading a thread on metal Ireland about this.........guy (yeah it's just him) and listening to a few tunes I felt compelled to share.

http://www.myspace.com/cloudkicker

On one hand the lovely quiet interludes remind me of some screamo/emo bands (30 Seconds to Mars). And don't get me wrong I absolutely abhor those "acts"!

But then this guitar comes out of nowhere and blasts you in the face. Full force. Layered to perfection I found myself losing my grasp on time whilst the minutes sifted by.

I'm sure it's the perfect "zone out whilst on bus" record.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I ****in love cloudkicker, he just brought out a new album, amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

Superb artist.

When I first heard "The Discovery" a few months ago, my immediate thought was "this has restored my faith in the future of music".

I'm yet to hear his latest release, but I shall unwrap that christmas present in due time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've mentioned Cloudkicker on here a few times. Glad to see a few more fans. I have to say the new album Beacons didn't excite me at all on first listen but the older stuff on The Map Is Not The Territory and The Discovery is brilliant. The intro to Genesis Device still sends shivers down my spine.

I'm not too sure about the thread title either. I wouldn't use three adjectives to describe the band and not have metal being at least one of them. Seeing ambient and weird might lead people to think it's quite experimental when it's metal first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Malice_ wrote: »
    I've mentioned Cloudkicker on here a few times. Glad to see a few more fans. I have to say the new album Beacons didn't excite me at all on first listen but the older stuff on The Map Is Not The Territory and The Discovery is brilliant. The intro to Genesis Device still sends shivers down my spine.

Oooh! I don't know these. Just stumbled across him last night and found the ]]][[[ EP and Beacons. Must've listened to them both twice through!

I'm not too sure about the thread title either. I wouldn't use three adjectives to describe the band and not have metal being at least one of them. Seeing ambient and weird might lead people to think it's quite experimental when it's metal first and foremost.

Edited for ya. ;)

Also found this! Video interview with him.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2010/11/11/who-is-cloudkicker/

chin_grin wrote: »
    Edited for ya. ;)
    Thanks for that :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :D

No problemo. To be honest I didn't want to say "metal" as the two albums I listened to where they did have heavy guitar it didn't fall completely in to that category in my mind.

Although that first vid you put up (Genesis Device), is absolutely phenominal! And to be honest is metal music!

Thanks a mil for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I have a real interest in instrumental metal and have been meaning to check this guy out for ages. Anyone wanna point me in the direction of one of his best? He has so many releases at this stage i'm not really sure where to begin.

Check out The Discovery release. Absolutely amazing. The later ones are a bit stripped down and more melodic. Just using sparse distortion, but keeping the amazing odd-time signature going on.

Each release is amazing though (Has three albums and one ep).

I have a real interest in instrumental metal and have been meaning to check this guy out for ages. Anyone wanna point me in the direction of one of his best? He has so many releases at this stage i'm not really sure where to begin.
    Five albums is hardly a lot and considering they can all be downloaded conveniently through the Bandcamp page I'd say just get them all :).

My personal favourites are The Map Is Not The Territory and The Discovery so I would recommend either of them, probably The Map Is Not The Territory slightly more because there are more songs on it. I found ]]][[[ a bit dull apart from the song "%", nothing much grabbed me on Portmanteau and I haven't listened to Beacons too much yet.

Five albums is hardly a lot and considering they can all be downloaded conveniently through the Bandcamp page I'd say just get them all :).

I know it's really not that much and that they are all free, but I'd prefer to just start with one album and give that the all my attension instead and building up my interest in it, instead of going on a big splurge and not giving some songs the attension they require for them to click with me.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, i'm off to download The Discovery.

• Advertisement

i'm off to download The Discovery.
    So that's how it is? Get my advice and do the opposite? :p

So that's how it is? Get my advice and do the opposite? :p

Well it was two suggestions for The Discovery and one for The Map Is Not The Territory. Glad I went through that whole tiresome process of pressing the download button.:p It's some cracking stuff.

Advertisement