Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters GPA requiremnts

Options
  • 27-11-2010 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hello,

I was hoping to do a masters in English I'm not sure which course as of yet. I am aiming for a 2:1 but a disgraceful last semester and the fact I don't like Sociology is the problem with my gpa. My english gpa alone would be inside a 2:1 and I think I could do a good interview.

My question is with a 2:2 is it game over for the masters in UCD and if so any advice would be greatly appreciated. As many of you may know an Arts student isn't excactly told of all the options.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 graw

If you are doing a joint major and score an overall gpa equivalent to a 2.2 all hope should not be lost. If you want to do the ma in english, they will probably only look to see if you scored a 2.1 in english. Hit the 2.1 in english and do as well in sociology as you can and you should be fine.

I know for certain that the school of economics only cares about results in economics and not in other subjects. It's usually the case in the school of economics that even if you have an overal gpa equivalent to a 2.1 but only have a 2.2 in economics, you'll get rejected from the masters programme.

The best advice is just go and have a chat with them in the school of engligh and see what information you can get from them.

Best of luck getting in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In the past 2 years, they seem to have greatly reduced the entry requirements for postgrads, mainly for revenue purposes as they love getting 5 grand+ from as many as possible! So I imagine you will get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If you get a 2.1 in English you should be ok. Just make sure that in your cover letter you make good reference to your past English history. I did my MA in English last year and loved it, which one is it you're hoping to do OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Renaissance Literature and Culture is the one I'm looking at. The modules I've enjoyed most seem to suit the course descrption. I would also like Modernity, Literature and Culture. But I'm still to get further details, is it the praticular MA that decides admission(subject to demand and difficulty) or a general English Department guideline?

What did you do?

Advertisement