Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue lightning? :O

Options
  • 27-11-2010 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Hi there.
    I've been following these threads carefully for a few days now as the anticipation of snow set in I went about my business and stocked up on some food incase I can't make it to the super market. On my way back I seen this incredible blue flash all over the eastern/South Eastern part of the sky. My friend who was with me said he seen the same type flashes last night while at work.

Is this seemingly Blue Lightning a common phenomena and is it associated to the cold snap?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

big blue just woke up ,,huge blue flash again ,,counting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I don't recall having thunder and lightning mixed with snowfall before? Probably not unusual elsewhere but in Ireland? Massive thunder roll woke me up around 5am. More since, all morning in fact. Lots of snow on the ground here in south Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭SilverSparkle

I saw this in Kilkenny last night! It was like the light flashed horizontaly accross the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I saw this myself near Drogheda, thought it was a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I was driving around dublin and meath last night and the lightning was pretty cool, most impressive when facing the coast. Seemed to flash quite regularly. Saw some colours in it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

By chance last night I looked out the window and a double blue flash went.

It was sheet lightning caused by the ice in the air more than likely. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Try throwing static discharge into the mix, like St Elmo's Fire. As the air dries out the conditions become ripe for such events.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ponpon

I thought thunder and lightening only happened when it was humid, I never heard of thunder storms with snow before, very strange. The storm started around 9pm and was still going at 8am this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

ponpon wrote: »
    I thought thunder and lightening only happened when it was humid, I never heard of thunder storms with snow before, very strange. The storm started around 9pm and was still going at 8am this morning!

Lightning in summer is caused by rain falling and steam rising

Last night and today was caused by ice particles rubbing together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I was wondering what the heck was going on :o

It was flashing orange at some stages :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

not sure if this video has been posted

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

caseyann wrote: »
    I was wondering what the heck was going on :o

It was flashing orange at some stages :confused:

:eek:

in days of yore, an orange glow like that during snow was say to herald the arrival of the four horsemen of the apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

ponpon wrote: »

You haven't heard of thundersnow before? Obviously your first Boards.ie winter funpark roller coaster experience.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Came across this amazing footage of overlooking dublin bay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL4vou2tars&feature=player_embedded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Was out there in Marino and all was quiet and then this huge flash appeared it actually blinded us for a few seconds. We could hear the static of the lightning hitting the ground, was mental. Thunder was at the same time so it must of only hit near us, we looked but didnt see any marks or nothing. I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable sitting here inside my house before!

Advertisement