Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it worth driving up to newry??

• 27-11-2010 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all,
    just a general enquiry into newry... is it worth my while travelling up this year?? is there any good deals on shopping ??? Do any of the supermarkets take euro for pound???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

In a word, no. Sainsburys have jacked up their prices and started to charge for parking. That and they give a really lousy exchange rate if you pay euros. If you're very savvy, know what you're looking for and price it in tesco down here before you go up, you might save a few quid but depending where you're coming from it might just offset the cost of petrol.

If you want to save money i suggest you go further up. We go to Lisburn/West Belfast which is about another 45 mins up the road and there's 2 huge Sainsburys, an Asda and plenty of other places offering good deals but only the supermarkets up that far take euros. Bow Street Mall in Lisburn is a great place to do some shopping for presents and clothes, just be sure to take some sterling with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Hi all,
    just a general enquiry into newry... is it worth my while travelling up this year?? is there any good deals on shopping ??? Do any of the supermarkets take euro for pound???

Not unless you like lots and lots of cheap alcohol. Otherwise the savings on groceries is not worth it once you pay for patrol (and the stress of shopping)

Alcohol is really cheap. Baileys 1L is 9.99 and its close to 20 euros down south.

I don't drink that much, so I could not be arsed going now, But in the summer it can be a nice day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Your location is a factor obviously, you'll get two different answers depending on far you have to travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,281 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's worth it for certain things, others it's not. This year with the cheap deals that Dunnes and Tesco are doing for spirits and beers it's not as tempting as it once was, you would really need to be targetting specific items on special offer to make it worth your while. Last year a litre bottle of Vodka was about €25 in the south on a special offer, now it can be got for €19, up north same bottle is £16 so cheaper in the south. When I start going up first there was savings of over €10 a litre on a bottle of spirits, big savings on wine and beers, these savings are not nearly as large now and are few and far between.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Still going to Enniskillen even tho I've moved to Kildare. Still worth the long journey if you're stocking up for xmas, including the drink :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭pmsurveys

I would have but making an effort this year to buy locally even though it might be dearer. I'll enjoy my 1 bottle of baileys bought down south a lot more than 2 bottles bought up north knowing that I might be helping our economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've been up in Derry a lot over the past few months and have been keeping an eye on prices for Xmas. Certain things have gone up a lot due to the budget. For instance, I don't think it's worth your while buying wine up North anymore. Seems to be averaging £6.99 a decent bottle in Sainsburys when Tesco's in particular and Superquinn have loads of great offers on wine down here. Having said that buying beer in bulk can create savings. Sainsbury's is doing two 24 slabs of various beers for £20 (and you can mix and match) and if you have a Nectar card you can get another £2 quid off that. That's under 50c a can.

Not that much difference with food prices these days altho meat and fish from the counters tend to be good value, especially if you pick out the special deals.

Advertisement