Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't a medium PROVE the ability exists?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Package wrote: »
    do you not read the news? do you not watch the TV?

death, destruction, disease, war , famine, revolutions, murders, ect ect ect

not to mention people damning you for your believe system

id prefere to fairies if thats ok
    The real motivation for your beliefs emerges! You're not interested in understanding how the world really is at all, just in what makes you feel better.

Well I see a world that includes family, friends, love, happiness, joy, wonder, discovery, imagination, exploration, and art, and that's plenty for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

because sometimes i dont need solid scientific proof to believe in things. simple

What makes the distinction? In what circumstances do you accept factual evidence and in what circumstances do you not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

people rip the piss out of me because i own a pink hot water bottle. doesnt mean im gonna go to bed cold does it?

I'm sorry but what the hell are you on about now?
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    Stuffins, regarding your point about why do you have to pay? People do have to pay the rent, do have to eat etc.

Exactly, they do! So why don't they get jobs like everyone else?

if I had an amazing gift i could give to the world, like talking to the dead, healing the sick etc. I wouldn't be charging people for it. If it really is a "gift", surely it should be used to better the world, not fill my pockets!

because sometimes i dont need solid scientific proof to believe in things. simple

Great post! i think my head just exploded!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

What makes the distinction?

its called faith.

• Advertisement

its called faith.

Brilliant! You have faith that someone can speak tot he dead, just because they say they can.

Another amazing post. Keep them coming!

its called faith.

Sorry, you'll have to do better than that.
    I asked under what circumstances do you accept factual reality and under what circumstances do you choose to suspend the requirement of factuality in order to believe.
    So far, we have you believing in death, famine and destruction, which are factual, but also in fairies and communicating with the dead, which are not.
    You'll have to explain what the criteria are for this 'faith' to be implemented.
    Or is it simply that you believe in everything?

I asked under what circumstances do you accept factual reality and under what circumstances do you choose to suspend the requirement of factuality in order to believe.
    So far, we have you believing in death, famine and destruction, which are factual, but also in fairies and communicating with the dead, which are not.
    You'll have to explain what the criteria are for this 'faith' to be implemented.

Whenever it suits from the looks of things!

Ya gotta love these spiritual types!

"I don't need science, you need to have faith in God and the angels and saint and the spirits......... sh*t, i feel sick. Better see the doctor!"

what do you want, me to pick every situation and give you a run down/?

i dont have set values. i dont believe we landed on the moon, i dont believe in the lock ness monster, i believe in the afterlife. see, the problem is,, you can prove certain things to be true,, you can prove certain things not to be true. the afterlife fits in between, it can neither be proven to exist or not exist.

thats stupid man,, do i believe in everything ,, jasus, :mad: the whole meaning of faith is a belief without need of proof. so yes. make all the fun ya want. i dont have proof, tey i believe. you dont have proof, so you dont believe. how much more simple can you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

i dont have set values. i dont believe we landed on the moon, i dont believe in the lock ness monster, i believe in the afterlife. see, the problem is,, you can prove certain things to be true,, you can prove certain things not to be true. the afterlife fits in between, it can neither be proven to exist or not exist.

Sorry, but if something cannot be proven to exist, then it doesn't. There is no in-between.

• Advertisement

Barrington wrote: »
    Sorry, but if something cannot be proven to exist, then it doesn't. There is no in-between.

ridiculous. absolutly effing ridiculous

thinsg are being provven and discovered all the time with the growth or technology. maybe technology hasnt got thus far yet. Closed mind alert.

what do you want, me to pick every situation and give you a run down/?

No, just provide the criteria for when you dispense with factuality and when you don't. Otherwise, why not disbelieve in death and mayhem? That would provide as much if not more happiness than the fairies.

In experiential reality, it doesn't exist. IF some form of post-death existence is real, then it would de facto bear no relationship to this life, because there is no verifiable event in which it has been shown that someone who died was able to affect or communicate in any way with this world.
    And you don't believe we landed on the moon? WTF?
    thats stupid man,, do i believe in everything ,, jasus, :mad: the whole meaning of faith is a belief without need of proof. so yes. make all the fun ya want. i dont have proof, tey i believe. you dont have proof, so you dont believe. how much more simple can you get.

Let's work on that definition. Faith is a belief without need of proof. But that suggests that where there is proof, something is accepted, surely? And since we have demonstrably landed on the moon...

Actually, screw it. I can't be arsed with this. You're a dilletante, picking and choosing what to believe in whether there is proof or not, based on what makes you happy. The definition of self-delusion in a nutshell.

Wait... you don't believe we landed on the moon!

Holy Mother of Mary, so not only do you believe things without proof, you choose not to believe things in the face of tonnes of proof!

Dave! said there was no need to introduce James Randi into the conversation.......... but he said nothing about Patrick Stewart.........

ridiculous. absolutly effing ridiculous

thinsg are being provven and discovered all the time with the growth or technology. maybe technology hasnt got thus far yet. Closed mind alert.

You misunderstood, I never said that mediumship CANNOT be proven to exist. I meant that, if something exists, there must be a way to obtain proof of its existence. Perhaps we are not technologically advanced enough to prove something exists. But it may still exist.

My point was, there is no in-between of something existing or not. It exists... or it doesn't.

We may not have the technology to determine if mediumship exists. But there are ways of proving that it doesn't.

And you don't believe we landed on the moon? WTF?
    yes i join milions of other people on that one

Let's work on that definition. Faith is a belief without need of proof. But that suggests that where there is proof, something is accepted, surely? And since we have demonstrably landed on the moon...

Actually, screw it. I can't be arsed with this. You're a dilletante, picking and choosing what to believe in whether there is proof or not, based on what makes you happy. The definition of self-delusion in a nutshell.

fair enough, i dont need your aproval to believe in what i want to believe in. If i wnt to believe in the bleedin tooth fairy to be happy then i will. All against the happiness aint ya?
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wait... you don't believe we landed on the moon!

Holy Mother of Mary, so not only do you believe things without proof, you choose not to believe things in the face of tonnes of proof!

there are millions that dont bud. the idea that we have a million times more powerful technology than we did between 69-72 yet we can land on the moon now seems pretty plausable. there is just as much, or even more evidence AGAINST the moon landing as FOR.

You misunderstood, I never said that mediumship CANNOT be proven to exist. I meant that, if something exists, there must be a way to obtain proof of its existence. Perhaps we are not technologically advanced enough to prove something exists. But it may still exist.

My point was, there is no in-between of something existing or not. It exists... or it doesn't.

We may not have the technology to determine if mediumship exists. But there are ways of proving that it doesn't.

look,, take Newton's law of universal gravitation, before he proved this law,,, did gravitation exist? yes,, it just hadnt been proven yet, and if it had gone another 1000 years without being proven, then it would still ahve existed.

now i cant prove mediumship exists,, i cant prove it. but whos to say that it wont be proven.

But there are ways of proving that it doesn't.

according to mediumship? how?

there are millions that dont bud. the idea that we have a million times more powerful technology than we did between 69-72 yet we can land on the moon now seems pretty plausable. there is just as much, or even more evidence AGAINST the moon landing as FOR.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Lad, you really need to stop this right now. You're either trolling or you're just completely, spectacularly ignorant!

You think we haven't got the technology to land on the moon now? Jesus H.Christ! What is it that you think we need to do to get to the moon? even Richard Branson has the technology to get to space now.

And what you call "evidence" is not evidence at all, it's a Conspiracy Theory. And it's a theory repeated by idiots who have no clue what they're talking about. The theory has masses of questions, and each question has a logical answer based in fact and proof.

All of a sudden, i'm kinda glad I don;t believe in the same things you do! And it doesn't surprise me that the guy who doesn't believe man landed on the moon also believes in fairies!! :rolleyes:

yes i join milions of other people on that one

There's a phrase to describe that - mass delusion.
    fair enough, i dont need your aproval to believe in what i want to believe in. If i wnt to believe in the bleedin tooth fairy to be happy then i will. All against the happiness aint ya?

All for the reality, actually, much of which inspires great happiness.
    I believe we're done here. You can't prove anything you assert, in fact you don't even try to. You believe whatever makes you happy, whether it's true, verifiable or stark-staring bonkers wrong.
    Fair enough. Give me a call if you ever come visit reality again.

look,, take Newton's law of universal gravitation, before he proved this law,,, did gravitation exist? yes,, it just hadnt been proven yet, and if it had gone another 1000 years without being proven, then it would still ahve existed.

now i cant prove mediumship exists,, i cant prove it. but whos to say that it wont be proven.

There's a MASSIVE difference between mediumship and gravity.

Gravity is an observable force. What goes up, must come down. it's a law!

What Newton did was explain it, that's all. He used science to explain it.

Mediumship is not observable, it is belief based. Nobosy "believed" in gravity, they knew it existed and could see it's forces without a doubt.

I'm frankly staggered that you equate gravity to mediumship!

• Advertisement

Again, I agree, gravity existed before it was proven to exist. I agree completely. However, you said:
    you can prove certain things to be true,, you can prove certain things not to be true. the afterlife fits in between, it can neither be proven to exist or not exist.

"It can neither be proven to exist or not exist". That is wrong. If something exists, it has to be possible to prove it exists. Maybe we can't prove it YET, but there has to be a way to prove it. However, we do have to ability to prove that the ability of a medium doesn't exist.

I'm sorry to bring the James Randi challenge into this, but here is a quick result I found from a medium who actually stepped up to the plate and took a test. Fair play!

it also includes a potential way to test mediums.
    Testing a medium: Results

By Richard Wiseman

Well, yesterday was quite a day. As many of you may know, the James Randi Educational Foundation has a standing offer of $1 million to anyone who can prove that they have psychic or mediumistic abilities.

A few months ago the JREF asked if Chris French (Goldsmith University) and I would carry out an initial test of a medium named Patricia Putt. We went back and forth about the protocol, and eventually settled on an experimental design. Basically, Patricia would carry out readings for 10 strangers, and then all of the participants would be presented with all 10 readings and have to select the one that best described them. To cut down on possible sensory cues, the strangers were not allowed to interact with Patricia, and asked to wear a graduation gown and facial mask.

Chris and his wonderful team (Panka Juhasz, James Munroe, Fabio Tartarini and Suzanne Barbieri) put in a huge amount of time sorting out the logistics of the experiment and making sure that it all ran smoothly on the day. Chris and Panka in particular worked especially hard on the project and so deserve the credit for makng it happen.
    Patricia was a joy to work with, and carried out the readings as promised. I sat in the room with Patricia as she wrote her readings and sent the occasional twitter update .

None of the participants were able to correctly identify their reading, and so the results do not support Patricia’s claim. However, to her credit, she took it on the chin and said that she felt that the test had been a fair examination of her abilities.

More info about it all on Randi’s site here.
    Oh well. Any thoughts?
    The source is from Richard Wiseman's blog here

Another thing here Package, you seem to think that Mediumship needs to be DISPROVEN in order for it to be deemed not to exsit.

This is wrong. The default position is that something does not exist unil it has been proven to exist. If one of the many many mediums who work today were to come along and prove it, then Hallelujah!!! it's proven. In our faces and such!

But until then, Mediumship is just mumbo-jumbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Dave! wrote: »
    Well that's a bit silly, and the boldened bit is more evidence of the contempt for science that most of your kind feel simply because the scientific community is not willing to endorse your unproven nonsense.

That's your own interpretation of what I wrote. "Your unproven nonsense"? Russell Targ is a member of the bloody scientific community and he has collected a wealth of proof. Dean Radin is another scientist who has done the same. I don't know what the hell you're harping on about like a hyena with PMS.
    most of your kind

Excuse me? Now who's silly and contemptuous?
    Science blogs give a good insight into the conversations that are taking place among scientific researchers and observers, and ignoring them is a good way to keep out of the loop and to miss out on valuable, informed opinions from people in the field.

You like science blogs, I don't. I'm more of a bookworm. That's my choice. DEAL WITH IT.
    If you didn't disregard science blogs, then you might have an idea of how Bem's research is being received by his colleagues. But, you don't really care about that, do you? smile.gif You just want your beliefs endorsed.

I don't require the services of science bloggers to keep abreast of how Bem's research is being received in the field; there have been a plethora of news articles detailing the reaction to the research. You aren't in any position to understand what I do and do not care about. WHO the f uck are YOU (apart from a yoke with a four-letter name ending in an exclamation mark)? You're the pot calling the kettle black by derisively stating that I just want my beliefs endorsed because here you are with your disbelief in PSI, yapping on about how it's all nonsense and doing your sunshine-out-of-your-arse damndest to convince all us poor paranormal-believing feckers of the truth as you see it.
    No, they've been arguing about these statistical problems for decades; Bem's research is not so ground-breaking that they've had to suddenly change how everything is done to accommodate it. These studies just illustrate the point that many people have been making for a long time.

Yes, but why the hell haven't they already adjusted lab protocols to their exact liking prior to the conduct of research or statistical analysis? Why haven't they acted yet? That was my point.
    Dunno what you're on about here.

Jesus, we've really arrived in Planksville so. pacman.gif

The hypothesis being referred to is that psi is real. You can't exactly adjust that. The point being made is that, given the implausibility of the existence of psi (given what we already know about the universe), you'd need to adjust your statistical analysis to account for this.

How can you even go about testing the possible plausibility of PSI when you are convinced of its implausibility to begin with? That is utterly pointless. The fact is, more scientists like Bem ought to suspend disbelief temporarily to test and quantify the existence of PSI.

Dunno what you're on about again.

God help you then.
    You don't think it's a good idea to keep track of replication attempts?

I never even said that!
    Since nobody else has taken up the mantle here, Wiseman has taken on the task. Nobody made him grand daddy of anything -- but if someone wants to help with a meta-analysis of this research, then they can contribute. Pretty simple.

From what I have observed, the science nerds seem to practically worship the man, and Wiseman isn't exactly reticent about thrusting himself forward with his views.
    This is pretty helpful, because there's something called the file-drawer effect where research that shows a negative outcome will tend to not be published. So if someone were to fail to reproduce this experiment, then they might not bother submitting it for publication, and we'd lose that data. Knowing in advance who is planning to attempt it means we can keep track and preserve the integrity that is sometimes lacking in post-hoc meta-analyses.

There's a place for everybody's research results, positive or negative. Nobody suggested it's invalid or unworthy of attention. But, again, it's just another angle from which to view phenomena like PSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I'm sorry to bring the James Randi challenge into this, but here is a quick result I found from a medium who actually stepped up to the plate and took a test. Fair play!

it also includes a potential way to test mediums.

The source is from Richard Wiseman's blog here
    At least she had a go. So does she admit she has no powers or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

There is no evidence to suggest that the moon landing did not take place.
    Only allegations - and crackpot ones at that.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

At least she had a go. So does she admit she has no powers or what?

Well i'm not so sure. One thing this shows is that this ladies was perhaps not a fraud, she probably genuinely believed she had these abilities, otherwise, why would she risk getting found out? So it might not be as simple for her to simply think she has no abilities, but it will certainly make her think about it.

But one thing I do know, she didn't try argue with the results, she accepted that the test was fair and on the level and she failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Well i'm not so sure. One thing this shows is that this ladies was perhaps not a fraud, she probably genuinely believed she had these abilities, otherwise, why would she risk getting found out? So it might not be as simple for her to simply think she has no abilities, but it will certainly make her think about it.

But one thing I do know, she didn't try argue with the results, she accepted that the test was fair and on the level and she failed.
    Interesting. Perhaps one day if there is some one who can pass the test or prove they have an ability, it will be some one with a similar like attitude and not some big time charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Synalon Etuul

That's your own interpretation of what I wrote.

It is an interpretation that is logical, given the words you used. If you meant that you don't hold science in contempt then you have been trying to communicate this in a somewhat misleading way.
    "Your unproven nonsense"? Russell Targ is a member of the bloody scientific community and he has collected a wealth of proof. Dean Radin is another scientist who has done the same.

This is where we point out again that you are only looking at the small amount of evidence that supports your view; the vast supply of evidence that rejects it is ignored. This is called confirmation bias.
    Excuse me? Now who's silly and contemptuous?
    like a hyena with PMS.

You are silly; I am contemptuous.
    You like science blogs, I don't. I'm more of a bookworm. That's my choice. DEAL WITH IT.

I don't require the services of science bloggers to keep abreast of how Bem's research is being received in the field; there have been a plethora of news articles detailing the reaction to the research.

Science blogs provide helpful insight into the issue you're discussing. You can dislike science blogs if you're so inclined but you need to deal with the fact that this limits the amount of information you're exposing yourself to, reducing the validity of your conclusions.
    You aren't in any position to understand what I do and do not care about. WHO the f uck are YOU (apart from a yoke with a four-letter name ending in an exclamation mark)?

It is clear that you care a great deal. Objective, calm and rational people are seldom inclined to engage in this sort of undignified outburst.
    You're the pot calling the kettle black by derisively stating that I just want my beliefs endorsed because here you are with your disbelief in PSI, yapping on about how it's all nonsense and doing your sunshine-out-of-your-arse damndest to convince all us poor paranormal-believing feckers of the truth as you see it.

Your reasoning here is absurdly bad. You are looking to confirm your preconceptions, as evinced by the fact that you ignore evidence refuting them while focusing on evidence that supports them. Dave has been doing no such thing - that he is trying to convince you of how he sees things does not show that he is in some way the same as you in this respect.
    Yes, but why the hell haven't they already adjusted lab protocols to their exact liking prior to the conduct of research or statistical analysis? Why haven't they acted yet? That was my point.

This isn't really important. It would have been better if lab protocols were changed previously, yes, but this doesn't negate the fact that Bem's research was produced through faulty methodology.
    Jesus, we've really arrived in Planksville so. pacman.gif

Insulting people makes you look clever, better carry on!
    How can you even go about testing the possible plausibility of PSI when you are convinced of its implausibility to begin with? That is utterly pointless. The fact is, more scientists like Bem ought to suspend disbelief temporarily to test and quantify the existence of PSI.

You obviously have no idea about how science works.
    I never even said that!

You said that it was insulting that one scientist disagreed with another. Asserting that scientists should not disagree suggests that you don't like the idea of replication attempts.
    There's a place for everybody's research results, positive or negative. Nobody suggested it's invalid or unworthy of attention. But, again, it's just another angle from which to view phenomena like PSI.

You are acting as though fact can be interpreted; this is not the case.

• Advertisement

Interesting. Perhaps one day if there is some one who can pass the test or prove they have an ability, it will be some one with a similar like attitude and not some big time charlie.

I seriously seriously doubt anyone will ever pass this test. I really don't think the ability exists.

But i'll tell you one thing, I would love NOTHING more than for someone to come along and prove that it's possible to speak to the dead! Can yo imagine what a breakthrough for mankind that would be? Someone being able to communicate with another dimension? Incredible!

Advertisement