Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin spin in the snow. Any suggestions?

• 27-11-2010 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Right so there's snow on the ground and thunder and lightning in the air. Where are people getting their cycles in this morning? I've yet to set the turbo up but is it the only real viable option?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just stuck my head outside the door to be greeted by hailstones. The ground is white up by my place (near Marlay park), and while the main roads seem fine, the smaller side roads don't. If this lot keeps up, I'll be leaving the bike at home, but may just take the walk up to ticknock / fairy castle to get out in the snow.

Anyone planning on the sally gap today should bring their skis instead of their wheels ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I just went out on the mountain bike and there's lots of grip for big threaded tyres. I wouldn't dream of it on the road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Sufferfest session today, or God forbid, a session with coach Troy(Spinervals) he does my head in. Hoping the snow will be sufficiently gone enough to get out tomorrow, but looking like we're going to get snow on and off until Wednesday, if you are to believe Met Eirann:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Well, they did tell us the east coast would get a bit last night and it took it's time edging towards the country from the Irish Sea. I believe them anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Right so there's snow on the ground and thunder and lightning in the air. Where are people getting their cycles in this morning? I've yet to set the turbo up but is it the only real viable option?

Cheers

<smug>Snow tyres FTW.</smug>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

midweek spins in ardgillan with big knobblies FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

xz wrote: »
    Sufferfest session today, or God forbid, a session with coach Troy(Spinervals) he does my head in. Hoping the snow will be sufficiently gone enough to get out tomorrow, but looking like we're going to get snow on and off until Wednesday, if you are to believe Met Eirann:rolleyes:

Snow is not so much the issue as the freezing frost.

Turbo & sufferfest for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

There's less snow/hail lying near the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

myself and Rob Fowl are heading up to Ardgillan for an hour or so at 2 if anyone is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Might ask my brother if I can borrow his hardtail with oversize tyres. Going up to hellfire could be fun :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Looks like it's time to buy a MTB, anyone got one going cheap?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Being on the bike is like playing GTA, it is fun :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I got a sneaky 40K in yesterday evening and although it was below 2 Deg C I wasnt too cold. I have an old MTB with knobbly tyres that I might do a bit on tomorrow.

Went for a short spin to the shops earlier, studded tyres rock! Took it easy, but great fun altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Cross bike.

Simple as

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Took a look out the window this morning in Blessington and put the head straight back on the pillow. The roads up here are shocking so no chance of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭VariaL_

i saw 7 people come off there bikes earlier around terenure and templeogue, big off putter if you ask me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I actually wanted to go out today but probably best I didn't, cars nearly always hit me on normal roads I'd hate to see those retards on ice.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I actually wanted to go out today but probably best I didn't, cars nearly always hit me on normal roads I'd hate to see those retards on ice.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

typical, weekend i had penned down to get back on the bike whatever the weather... and its impossible... having broke my rib five weeks ago in a bike versus pedestrian mash up one wet morning on camden st... I was walking down that same street today and saw a cyclist split himself in the exact same spot as he mounted an icy curb... helped him up, was fine etc but... omen??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

Just a heads up, to anyone checking in to see what it's like in Dublin, down at Mortons in Ranelagh earlier a bike slid across the main road on it's side, and 2 seconds later so did the cyclist, be very careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It will be the turbo until the weather clears up, just to darn risky cycling in them conditions on a road bike.

It will be the turbo until the weather clears up, just to darn risky cycling in them conditions on a road bike.

too risky cycling on any bike to be honest

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

rughdh wrote: »
    <smug>Snow tyres FTW.</smug>
    Best fun ever, the spikes bite into the ice and hardpack around the estate with a very satisfying crunch - did my best to slide but it takes the corners like its on rails.
    Only danger is motorists on their summer tyres...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Managed to get to tesco for some donuts and back without incident last night, well chuffed. On 22mms too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

DaveyDave wrote: »

As far as I can see most cars are being very respectful, and not daring to overtake. I am enjoying this snow, on my 25cc tyres, cars are being so careful I can't help but wonder why drivers aren't like this all the time, love the winter.

Everyone I see, seems in good humour, I hope it doesn't stop.

Advertisement