Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its snowdeded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be ok just seriously delayed. You'll prob miss your connecting flight but that isn't really an issue either as I'm sure you remember.

Well im going from Dub to Amsterdam, direct flight from there, least i took out travel insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

STIG83 wrote: »
    Well im going from Dub to Amsterdam, direct flight from there, least i took out travel insurance

Oh ****,

Is there only one flight a day? If I were you id seriously think about taking the hit and flying out the Sunday and spend a night in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Oh **** is right!! well if the worst comes to worst, i can spend the night in Amsterdam on Monday, i wouldnt mind losing a day or two off my trip
    And there is only one flight a day from Amsterdam from what i was seeing when i was booking it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Snow Friday night-Sat morning for south east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/regional-snowfall-predictions-for.html

REGION ......... THURS .. FRI .. SAT .. SUN .. MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03
    Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02
    Kerry, Clare.. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10
    Cork, Tipp, Limerick.. 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08
    Waterford,Carlow/Kilk/Wex.. 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10
    Dub/Wick/Meath 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10
    Rest of Leinster .......... 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

According to Dermot Keyes, Munster Express Journalist, on Facebook::
    Tuesday, December 21st 2010 - thanks to Frank Flanagan: Snow showers will sweep in across Ireland. High winds will also pick up. 10mm of ‘precipitation’ will fall in 4hrs alone in the South-east – in snow, this could accumulate to over 2 FEET in a very short period. (NOTE: NONE of the forecasters have mentioned anything about this yet).

Frank's a chap from Wexford that I got to know during the 'Keep Rescue 117 24 hours' campaign and he gets his details from a subscribed weather forecasting service for fishermen. Very reliable information it tends to be as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Sully wrote: »
    According to Dermot Keyes, Munster Express Journalist, on Facebook::

From what I can see on the Weather forum we are most likely to start getting that kind of weather by about Sunday, would that be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Very Very hard to pin down at the moment, The models are changing the whole time, and this is very unusal as well, It will be a nowcast situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

The guy on IWO has been right almost down to the hour for the last 10 days. He was very excited about the impending cold snap about a week ago comparing the behaviour of the present model was only matched by that which occurred in 1947 (which lasted weeks rather than days)

New models are out. and they have the whole country in for some serious snow, these could change again but into Fri/sat morn and sun/mon morning could see some serious snow, and if you think its was bad the last night time. It has nothing on this. But like I said It could change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

As Musicman said it is looking like widespread snow. Check the weather forum for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

blobbyblob wrote: »
    http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/regional-snowfall-predictions-for.html

REGION ......... THURS .. FRI .. SAT .. SUN .. MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03
    Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02
    Kerry, Clare.. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10
    Cork, Tipp, Limerick.. 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08
    Waterford,Carlow/Kilk/Wex.. 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10
    Dub/Wick/Meath 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10
    Rest of Leinster .......... 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

I do beleif this but i do wonder wht met-eireann allways state the south east will escape the worst only for us to end up getting it bad , do they not have the same radars as some of the links provided in here ????
    New models are out. and they have the whole country in for some serious snow, these could change again but into Fri/sat morn and sun/mon morning could see some serious snow, and if you think its was bad the last night time. It has nothing on this. But like I said It could change

Sorry but by models do you mean predictions?? Whatever the case it looks like we are in for alot of snow over the next few days....

jo06555 wrote: »
    I do beleif this but i do wonder wht met-eireann allways state the south east will escape the worst only for us to end up getting it bad , do they not have the same radars as some of the links provided in here ????

The south east do normally escape from showers that come with an artic blast from the North, The reason why we wont this time is due to a low presssure and poler vortex right over us which is very rare, Also within the vortex it has fronts crossing the country it brings a lot more widespread snow, we think Friday night into Saturday Morning should bring heavy snow and Sunday into Monday morning for the East, South and South East

Sorry but by models do you mean predictions?? Whatever the case it looks like we are in for alot of snow over the next few days....

Yes they show predictions, and it dose look like that way im afraid for thoese that dont like snow

jo06555 wrote: »

The south east do normally escape from showers that come with an artic blast from the North, The reason why we wont this time is due to a low presssure and poler vortex right over us which is very rare, Also within the vortex it has fronts crossing the country it brings a lot more widespread snow, we think Friday night into Saturday Morning should bring heavy snow and Sunday into Monday morning for the East, South and South East

[/QUOTE]Sorry but by models do you mean predictions?? Whatever the case it looks like we are in for alot of snow over the next few days....[/QUOTE]

Yes they show predictions, and it dose look like that way im afraid for thoese that dont like snow

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Reaction to seeing snow 3 weeks ago:

"Yay!!!"

Reaction to seeing snow today:

"Balls."

So apparently this morning is just a light powdering, then scarily bright clear skies and then a Snow Monster descending on us later this evening.

Sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Reaction to seeing snow 3 weeks ago:

"Yay!!!"

Reaction to seeing snow today:

"Balls."

So apparently this morning is just a light powdering, then scarily bright clear skies and then a Snow Monster descending on us later this evening.

Sound about right?

Snow monster???:eek: I'm driving Cork to Tramore later....so hopefully the snow monster arrives after I've arrived :). I'm quite happy to get snowed in though and not have to come back up!

Big downgrade this morning, so people that dont like snow will be happy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Think you have the wrong info there music man

Big downgrade this morning, so people that dont like snow will be happy:)

Whats the latest forecast for south east??

As posted by MT

LERT continued for widespread heavy snowfalls spreading gradually from west and north to cover also east and south later today, then further outbreaks more concentrated on east and south over the weekend. Some risk of disruption and blizzard conditions at times. Very icy roads and anticipated travel delays or cancellations. Severe cold also, especially central counties overnight hours.

Situation update -- The very cold northerly flow is backing to NW'ly through the day, but will be reinforced by a fast-moving trough late today and winds will return to a more northerly direction. This trough will become the focus for snowfall to spread east beyond the current mainly sea-effect driven bands in the west and north. Particularly heavy snow bands are likely this morning around Mayo and eastern Ulster towards Isle of Man. Tonight the trough will promote bursts of heavy snow in the southeast. Saturday, another low likely to form off the west or southwest coast and move around the south coast towards Cornwall. This would set off periods of snow across the south. Following that, a stronger low likely Saturday night, moving past the south overnight and towards south Wales or southwest England Sunday, crossing southern England. This could set off very heavy snow in Ireland with strong northeast winds. Some further snow Monday, then gradual clearing, staying cold.

FORECASTS ...

TODAY ... Continued windy and very cold with heavy snow showers in parts of Connacht, Ulster, West Munster, inland north Leinster, and flurries elsewhere during the morning to early afternoon, amounts 8-15 cms heavier once again from about Mayo to Antrim. Accumulating snow in east and southeast only likely afternoon and evening, 2-4 cms by then.

Further east and south, morning will bring some sunny intervals with passing flurries or hail showers. Winds in general NW 25-50 mph becoming WNW 25-45 mph, backing in south only to WSW 20-30 mph late afternoon, mixed showers likely in Kerry and Cork at this point, with outbreaks of heavy snow further north across Clare and Galway spreading across the country during the afternoon and evening. Widespread icy road conditions.

Highest temperatures -3 to +1 C, except 2-4 in Kerry and Cork.

FRIDAY NIGHT ... Snow becoming rather heavy at times and spreading into the eastern counties while becoming more intermittent in the west, amounts of about 5-10 cms likely with heavier amounts this time in eastern counties and also across much of Ulster. Winds turning more northerly after midnight, with lows of about -3 C east to -7 C central and -4 C west. Widespread icy road conditions.

SATURDAY ... Periods of snow may become intermittent, with 5-8 cms further, very cold with light to moderate northeast to northwest winds, some sunny intervals could develop in the north and west, but highs only -3 to near zero C.

SATURDAY NIGHT & SUNDAY ... Renewed periods of snow becoming heavy across most of the country, with winds NE 25-45 mph in northern and central counties, somewhat variable and lighter across the south (although strong winds could strike there at times). Snow could mix with sleet near east or south coasts, but this may be quite limited. Snow amounts likely to be 10-20 cms but could reach 30 cms in some inland southeast counties and blizzard conditions are possible. Morning lows of about -4 to -7 C with daytime highs -3 to -1 C for most.

MONDAY ... There could be an extension of the snowfall period although becoming lighter, well into Monday with a gradual tapering off to drizzly light snow grains or freezing drizzle. Then it seems likely to clear late Monday with bitterly cold temperatures over the fresh snow. Temperatures on Monday similar to Sunday, -5 to -1 C.

TUESDAY ... With any clearing, Tuesday morning lows could be downright frigid inland, -12 C or even lower in parts of the inland southeast and Midlands, Ulster. Elsewhere, closer to -7 C ... afternoon highs in the range of about -5 to zero C, with some sunshine and some lingering ice fog or low cloud.

OUTLOOK ... Possible sleet or freezing rain that was entering the mix for the period Wednesday 22nd to Friday Christmas Eve, is now once again looking more like the chance of further snow, and there is now only a very slight chance for any significant thaw with some rain in the far south. This will all depend on the track of an Atlantic storm that seems likely to try to push the cold air back north to some extent, but is now being challenged by a wave swirling southeast from Iceland trying to phase in with that low. The most likely solution would involve light snow and freezing drizzle around Thursday night and continued cold into Christmas. Another storm looms for late Christmas into the 26th. At this point, we have to guess this one too may start to acquire a colder profile as we get closer to the time. But as of today, some models show this as a thaw with rain. We'll see how that works out.

Now, here's the updated snowfall chart, snowfall in cms.
    Tonight refers to the period now to 0800h Friday, which may be one reason why Friday (0800-2400h) amounts appear reduced.

REGION ............ FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON ..... TUES

Ulster .................08 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03 ..... 01

Connacht ........... 08 ...... 07 ..... 08 ...... 02 ..... 01

West Munster, Clare. 05 ..... 05 ..... 12 ...... 07 ..... 01

East Munster ......... 05 ...... 10 ..... 12 ...... 08 ..... 01

inland southeast ..... 06 ...... 10 ..... 25 ...... 10 ..... 02

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 04 ...... 10 ..... 20 ...... 10 ..... 02

rest of Leinster ......... 04 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 07 ..... 01

The weekend snowfalls may become blizzard-like in some cases, whether they are technically a blizzard or not may depend on wind speeds. But coastal parts of the east and south could see some mixing so that while it may snow the same amount, not all of the snow will cover the ground to same depths near the coast especially southeast Wexford and outer parts of Cork coast.

The situation is quite fluid and range of possible outcomes is something like half the above to 50% more than above. Local snowfalls Sunday could reach 40-50 cms on higher parts of Wicklow and Dublin mountains.

Updates as required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Holy shyteballs

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Holy shyteballs

Would we be more east munster than inland though??? I suppose we wont get any snow til early hours is it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

If it snows,it snows,if it doesn't then it doesn't,the weather forecaster i use is to look out the window!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

If it snows,it snows,if it doesn't then it doesn't,the weather forecaster i use is to look out the window!

Not so much of a forecast... Only really tells you what's going on that moment :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Chochese wrote: »
    Not so much of a forecast... Only really tells you what's going on that moment :P

Better to know what's happening in the moment,than to worry about what's going to happen in the future!!

Well did we get any snow last night?

REGION ............ FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON ..... TUES

Ulster .................08 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03 ..... 01

Connacht ........... 08 ...... 07 ..... 08 ...... 02 ..... 01

West Munster, Clare. 05 ..... 05 ..... 12 ...... 07 ..... 01

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 04 ...... 10 ..... 20 ...... 10 ..... 02

rest of Leinster ......... 04 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 07 ..... 01

Well so far id reckon these numbers to be totally off the mark where southeast is concerned :confused: unless sat is sat night we expect it but radio forecasts today dont mention snow apart from a few showers in east

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The forecast has changed a lot since yesterday. Met centers are having a hard time predicting the weather beyond a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We'll get no snow here (right, thats blown it).

http://met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The forecast has changed a lot since yesterday. Met centers are having a hard time predicting the weather beyond a few hours.

Its a nightmare to predict anything at the moment, things are changing so fast, at the moment it looks like Sunday into Monday for snow, but it will change again:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis a bit milder now than same time yesterday, as judged by the ice on next doors roof
    dissapearing despite being in the shadow.

Advertisement