Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its snowdeded

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

-6 now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just home from town - Waterford appearing as -4C according to my car, and it was -3 according to it on route into town at around 10sh. The car isn't that far from being accurate I find..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

It was at -8 at 05:30 this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yup, made getting out of bed incredibly difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Snow is after hitting Wicklow and Wexford now. 4/5 inches overnight and its still coming down at the moment. Looks like it could be coming our way :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bastard water has frozen! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mike65 wrote: »
    Bastard water has frozen! :mad:

Ouch! If you know where the pipes run, you can pour boiling water there.

I've also heard that pressure can build up inside frozen pipes and that you are better to leave the tap open, or turn the supply off at the main to avoid them bursting. I'm sure someone who actually knows what I'm talking about can explain better...

Edit: Here's a link that *might* help anyone with frozen pipes:
    http://www.allianzweathersafe.com/EFreeze.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

gscully wrote: »

[/url]

And if that dont work you have no water at all in the house , mine is frozen in grantstown park , hope to get it back today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

gscully wrote: »

I've also heard that pressure can build up inside frozen pipes and that you are better to leave the tap open, or turn the supply off at the main to avoid them bursting. I'm sure someone who actually knows what I'm talking about can explain better...

Edit: Here's a link that *might* help anyone with frozen pipes:
    http://www.allianzweathersafe.com/EFreeze.htm

Water expands as it freezes (ice floats). Don't pour boiling water, use a hairdryer at most. Bear in mind that, if the water has frozen solid in the pipes, the damage has already been done. It's usually the thaw that brings all the leaks.

SSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

cococoady wrote: »
    Snow is after hitting Wicklow and Wexford now. 4/5 inches overnight and its still coming down at the moment. Looks like it could be coming our way :(

looks like waterfords snow shield is back in action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Joe Gt wrote: »
    And if that dont work you have no water at all in the house , mine is frozen in grantstown park , hope to get it back today

last year mine went off, froze 2 days before Christmas eve and didnt come back until the first week of January! no water or heat all over Christmas..I know they say dont leave the taps run but I am because i'm not taking any chances this year..my Christmas last year was effectively ruined..had to get water to cook the dinner, flush the loo etc etc and had no washing machine for the whole period of time and had to go to relatives to wash ourselves..absolute nightmare..if it comes backs for you today leave the tap run constantly

No luck with the stop cock, went out a bought a couple of jerry cans and some bottled water - 8 liters for 3 euro!. I remember when water was more expensive than petrol litre for litre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Looks like Waterford is on the very edge of getting some snow with parts of Wexford being hammered. We might get some showers but I don't think it will be too prolonged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

looks like waterfords snow shield is back in action

I wish that shield was up in dublin, Hasint stopped snowing here in Blanchardstown since 10.30. Im praying to god I dont get snowed in here for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Yep the Radiation shield that is ferrybank still keeping the snow away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

angry_fox wrote: »
    I wish that shield was up in dublin, Hasint stopped snowing here in Blanchardstown since 10.30. Im praying to god I dont get snowed in here for Christmas

I think its made of ultra-clear lead crystal. There are a few holes in it, for planes and birds, but its one reason why Waterford Airport can't take bigger planes, they don't fit through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Water expands as it freezes (ice floats). Don't pour boiling water, use a hairdryer at most. Bear in mind that, if the water has frozen solid in the pipes, the damage has already been done. It's usually the thaw that brings all the leaks.

SSE

I meant pour boiling water on the concrete above the underground pipes, not on the pipes themselves...

Was told a few mis ago its starting snowing lightly down in passage

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

A few useful online weather stations in the area viz.
    Dunmore East - http://homepage.eircom.net/~dunmoreweather/
    Tramore - http://tramoreweathercam.com/weather/
    Waterford City - http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/
    All Ireland map - http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php

These stations are private online sites maintained by enthusiasts. The all Ireland map is very useful if you are travelling, the sites shown are a mixture of Met Eireann, NRA and private enthusiasts.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Yup, made getting out of bed incredibly difficult!

It sure did,i would of loved to stay in the cot this morning,ah only two more early mornings,then it can snow all it wants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The temperature gauge on Waterford City Weather was only showing -3.6 or something like that at that time. Big wind chill factor though.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    The temperature gauge on Waterford City Weather was only showing -3.6 or something like that at that time. Big wind chill factor though.

Ah i was just going on what it said in the car,it was the coldest i have ever felt in Waterford,but i don't think it was -8 stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Ah i was just going on what it said in the car,it was the coldest i have ever felt in Waterford,but i don't think it was -8 stuff?

Ah I'm sure it wasn't too far off in fairness. I was freezing when the car only said -1 earlier! It's a real biting cold for some reason.

Wonder will our snow shield hold up?

I maybe so cold I can no longer tell what the temp is, but it felt quite a bit milder out there just now as compared to this time yesterday. Not like its clouded over either, the moon doth rise in the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

So will we get snow tonight i wonder.

jo06555 wrote: »
    So will we get snow tonight i wonder.

hope not:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Really need it to snow in waterford tonight!
    Sorry for those of you working & those who don't want it ,but I really need it to snow badly !!!!
    Not to bothered if it's all cleared by lunch time though, I need the morning off!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

It will be a very hit an miss affair for Waterford, times to watch out for snow tonight are between eight and eleven

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Really need it to snow in waterford tonight!
    Sorry for those of you working & those who don't want it ,but I really need it to snow badly !!!!
    Not to bothered if it's all cleared by lunch time though, I need the morning off!!!!

Well take the morning off,some of us have to go to work if we want to earn money,and I for one don't want snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

No snow in Waterford,the weather Gods have spoken.

Advertisement