Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its snowdeded

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

And so it begins,snowing in the city now :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Now its sunny and snowing.

Can I expect a mad snow rainbow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Whereabouts? I'm on Barronstrand Street and it's graaaaand, boy! ::cool:

I'm on Barracks Street and its snowing lightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

snow doesnt like there, cant say i blame it :P

grrrr hate snow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No snow in my part of the city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah there were a few errant flakes at Ardkeen and plenty of flakes in the lidl carpark but thats another story :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

The snow is going to have all of you up on charges of stalking it if your not careful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Light sprinkle in Tramore, didn't last long.

Apparently, the M9 isn't great not far from Waterford. Blizzard conditions earlier even in Kilkenny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

The shield held up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The shield held up !

I always knew there was a lot of hot air in Waterford. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Proof that we are getting away with it.

1164s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

kensutz wrote: »
    Proof that we are getting away with it.

1164s.jpg

Jasus Ken.
    I didn't know you were taking pictures in outer space aswell. :p
    Thought it was just at sports matches haha. :D
    Some deadly pic tho:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

that proves what I heard before that the driest place in Ireland is between Helvick head and hook head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Theres got to be some sort of underlying reason for it though.. It cant be coincidence that the whole country is covered in snow except us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Trotter wrote: »
    Theres got to be some sort of underlying reason for it though.. It cant be coincidence that the whole country is covered in snow except us.

Waterford is last place to get snow from a west/north westerly. When the winds changed easterly it was only a flow from a slack low pressure not a true easterly coming off a high pressure from Scandinavia. Set up in late Nov/early Dec was perfect for us.

Well the mountians act as a shield from the west, the showers in the east tend to lose their "umph" as they move inland plus we are on the coast so unlike Kilkenny/Carlow we are in effect protected on three sides. I'd say the time we are most likely to get snow is if it pushes in from the south-east directly onshore.

mike65 wrote: »
    Well the mountians act as a shield from the west, the showers in the east tend to lose their "umph" as they move inland plus we are on the coast so unlike Kilkenny/Carlow we are in effect protected on three sides. I'd say the time we are most likely to get snow is if it pushes in from the south-east directly onshore.

Yes, its also the same reason why we are the driest county.

Waterford Airport could profit from this (and Shannon). 'Fly to Waterford, where we don't get snow'

dayshah wrote: »
    Yes, its also the same reason why we are the driest county.

Waterford Airport could profit from this (and Shannon). 'Fly to Waterford, where we don't get snow'

Just thinking the same thing.. They should have that satellite pic on their website and get some aggressive marketing into the UK with it!

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    Just thinking the same thing.. They should have that satellite pic on their website and get some aggressive marketing into the UK with it!

But when it did snow the airport shut for 2 weeks :(

Well I've been listening to traders moaning about the snow keeping shoppers at home esp in Dublin, meanwhile we have been essentially free of the stuff for the last couple of weeks. Has the Chamber of Commerce been trumpting that fact across the south-east media? Not as far as I know.

2 weeks?! Seriously?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

No, thats a bit of an exaggeration there. Sure it was unavailable for fixed wing aircraft on some days and for periods of time on other days, just like every airport in Ireland and accross Europe. The airport was never closed as it was always available for use by the coast guard helicopter. It takes time to clear snow and make the Runway and Taxi ways safe for flight use.
    The airport was not closed for 2 weeks.

2 Christmas weeks is worth far more money than 2 April weeks or 2 October weeks.

I'm thinking industry in general here. With regard to snow and flooding Waterford is far more reliable. Some companies need that sort of security that only the Déise snow-shield can provide.

Beeker wrote: »
    No, thats a bit of an exaggeration there. Sure it was unavailable for fixed wing aircraft on some days and for periods of time on other days, just like every airport in Ireland and accross Europe. The airport was never closed as it was always available for use by the coast guard helicopter. It takes time to clear snow and make the Runway and Taxi ways safe for flight use.
    The airport was not closed for 2 weeks.

Coastguard aside when the snow fell on the Sat morning i think the next flight in there was the follwing thursday night week.

So what are the local meteorologists thoughts on the cold weather we are supposed to be getting the weekend,will we see snow or will we be lucky again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Rain for the south coast.

Advertisement