Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its snowdeded

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Hirlam? *googles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

They provide weather charts and forecasts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

:( love when the first snow falls at home. It looks really pretty, and when it melts it looks like someone shook icing sugar on the Comeraghs! :)

Snow is all slushy in Dublin now :( My friend in Stradbally is nearly snowed in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,688 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just went across Tramore to get groceries, the roads are lethal, if you can possibly stay home you should. I didn't get above 10 kph and 1st gear, but the only skidding was when I -very gently - stopped at lights - at 10kph! A few eejits were trying to get up hills by revving like mad, whereas if you took it nice and steady in first it was possible. Don't try to brake in one go either, tap the brake so you don't skid. Its already starting to freeze though and will be very dangerous in about an hour or so.

(Yes, I know most of you don't need this information but if it helps one person it will be worth it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

fricatus wrote: »
    That's one of the main hazards of being out and about today. These fcukers think it's just a bit of craic to be pelting cars with snowballs, but they have no conception of how upsetting that can be, especially for an old person or a girl on her own.

Last year there was a gang of little toerags around my area fcuking snowballs at houses in my estate. I called the guards, and they said it was too dangerous for them to be out. They're the bloody guards ffs, they're well paid to look after the rest of us! Front-line alliance me hole! :mad:

I'd advocate a good clip around the ear for any little fcuker throwing snowballs at anything other than their own mates. If I catch any of them on their own, they'll get a dig; problem is they're always in a gang, and then you can't do a bloody thing. :mad:

My wife works in Freshways and they were attacked by about 20 guys this morning. Now I know you'll probably say attacked is a bit strong but these w**kers had rocks in the middle of the snowballs and were throwing them in the front door at people. They had to lock the doors and called the police, but again it was too dangerous to come out. They then tried to come in around the back and the staff had to rush out and close the gates. Great Police force we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Chaos in Tramore Earlier, 7 Garda cars Flying up and down the Ribh road, with 5 Amublances later on, Choas, a Car ended up On top of A Roundabout, when Sliding down a hill, cars were Abandoned by the Racecourse, and i saw Two cars skid, and They had no control over the Car, and A Van slid into A Wall and The wall fell down. Choas!

And some Re**** overtook a car That was crawling Along for obvious reasons, He went full speed off then, like there was no feckin snow

The majority dont have a clue how to drive in these conditions, if you dont have to drive tonight dont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Carricphierish rd a nightmare all day and blackberry fields especially , anyone know are we to get more snow later on???/

jo06555 wrote: »
    Carricphierish rd a nightmare all day and blackberry fields especially , anyone know are we to get more snow later on???/

You might want to read the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

You might want to read the thread

Ye i had left on page 1 and returned without refreshing page .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

jo06555 wrote: »
    Ye i had left on page 1 and returned without refreshing page .

Drove down from Leitrim to Waterford today, it was very bad on the m9 from the Kilkenny south exit and the m9 northbound was closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

angry_fox wrote: »
    Drove down from Leitrim to Waterford today, it was very bad on the m9 from the Kilkenny south exit and the m9 northbound was closed

I'm interested to know what it was like, as it's my Monday-Friday commute. Were both lanes open or being used? How were people driving? In line with conditions or like invincible lunatics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Trucks have been out gritting again over the past hour. Main roads should be fine, but if you're going off the beaten track, prepare for trouble. The Council prioritise the primary roads first when gritting so don't expect hills in the likes of housing estates to be gritted until last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The majority dont have a clue how to drive in these conditions, if you dont have to drive tonight dont

True. I include myself in that majority :(
    I'm a good driver, just hardly any experience with snow and ice.

I heard some AA person saying check your tyre pressure. Sounds like good advice.

I'm interested to know what it was like, as it's my Monday-Friday commute. Were both lanes open or being used? How were people driving? In line with conditions or like invincible lunatics?

Maybe they have a car like Kurt Russell in Death Proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dayshah wrote: »

I heard some AA person saying check your tyre pressure. Sounds like good advice.

Its a good advice to a point, obviously you don't want a near flat tyre in these conditions lest you get a blow-out but some "give" is helpful on icy roads. Over-inflation is a definite no-no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Anyone know what the N25 bypassing Kilmeaden is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭vixdname

I had to drive from kilmacow to waterford to portlaw to stradbally today.
    Started at 10:30am but by the time I got to portlaw things were getting treacherous.
    I went back onto the main cork road heading for stradbally, was in 2nd gear all the way, I passed about 3 cars stuck in ditches, a downed phone \ power line and unbelieveably this clown in an old banger over took all the cars behind me, my car and the car in front of me.
    This was at the height of the snowfall, everything was just pure white with the big flakes falling.
    This lad wasnt a young fella and should have had more sense - theres no accounting for idiocy !

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Shark

Roen wrote: »
    Made it as far as Kilmeaden myself on the way to the mountains but turned back there. Round trip of 14 miles from Ferrybank took 3 hours :S

Why go to the mountains in these conditions?
    Think about it.
    What if you got stuck in the car somewhere or up the mountains.
    Think about those emergency serivces that might have to come get you.
    It really irritates me people going up the mountains completly unprepaired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

kensutz wrote: »
    Anyone know what the N25 bypassing Kilmeaden is like?

The bypass road is ok but take your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Typhoon. wrote: »
    I heard the buses are stuck on ballybricken :eek:

yeah 4 of em. Later one came down via toners corner there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Shark wrote: »
    Why go to the mountains in these conditions?
    Think about it.
    What if you got stuck in the car somewhere or up the mountains.
    Think about those emergency serivces that might have to come get you.
    It really irritates me people going up the mountains completly unprepaired!

Was there something about my post that lead you to think I was unprepared for the mountains? Or for being stuck in the car? Can you point that out to me?

It really irritates me people thinking they know anything about a situation from one sentence. What if you come to the wrong conclusion and make yourself look like an idiot? Think about the effort someone has to make to point out how wrong you are.
    Think about it.

Not that your post deserves a detailed response, but 'these conditions' are exactly the reason that I was going up there. And if 'these conditions' continue on in to a time when I'm on holidays I'll be heading up camping for a few days. And who knows, maybe I'm one of the people that comes get people that get stuck.

And in the Summer I may have to travel so I can enjoy 'these conditions' elsewhere.

Think about it.
    And won't someone please think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Shark

Roen wrote: »
    Was there something about my post that lead you to think I was unprepared for the mountains? Or for being stuck in the car? Can you point that out to me?

It really irritates me people thinking they know anything about a situation from one sentence. What if you come to the wrong conclusion and make yourself look like an idiot? Think about the effort someone has to make to point out how wrong you are.
    Think about it.

Not that your post deserves a detailed response, but 'these conditions' are exactly the reason that I was going up there. And if 'these conditions' continue on in to a time when I'm on holidays I'll be heading up camping for a few days. And who knows, maybe I'm one of the people that comes get people that get stuck.

And in the Summer I may have to travel so I can enjoy 'these conditions' elsewhere.

Think about it.
    And won't someone please think of the children.

Well I hope your enjoying your moment of glory as some wilderness expert,
    I was mearly pointing out that you see idiots when it snows dragging their kids up to mahon falls with nothing more than a tracksuit and a pair of runners on, just to see some snow.
    And who knows maybe its the likes of me who ends up comeing to get these people.
    Iv seen it all up there.
    It wasnt your post that made me react to that maybe if you said you were going hiking up there instead of just going up there, I wouldnt have come to post such a blunt response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

There was just one lane, well it was more of a track on the m9 southbound after the kilkenny exit, traffic was very light. It was 4.30 pm. People driving very good for the conditions. The m9 northbound was closed but they were sending on the gritters. Other than that the road was grand, n4 was ok. Took the naas exit on the on the n4 and that was a bit dangerous in some areas especially by the k club.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Just for people who are saying they are going around in 1st gear, just a bit of advice, drive in a high as gear as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Fair enough, apologies if I took up your post the wrong way. I've seen some gems in my day too.

Something I've learned over the years as a wilderness expert is that it can be particularly cold on mountains. And high horses.

Apologies once more and I won't be back to the thread. I tend to get suckered into arguments too easily.
    R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 louloubelle

Just for people who are saying they are going around in 1st gear, just a bit of advice, drive in a high as gear as you can.

From someone who don't know enough about driving in these conditions, why the higher gear possible??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I couldnt even go the Boards Beers tonite cos of it

From someone who don't know enough about driving in these conditions, why the higher gear possible??:rolleyes:

You've less acceleration in a high gear, so less of the spinning wheel effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,688 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hm, ok, just googled that and the advice is indeed to drive in high gear. I can't really get my head round doing 10kph in fourth though, and on the skating rink that I was negotiating, with parked cars and people walking I would not have gone any faster, and nor was any one else. Would it not cut out?

Advertisement