Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its snowdeded

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Just for people who are saying they are going around in 1st gear, just a bit of advice, drive in a high as gear as you can.

Not doubting you but can you explain why? If the roads are bad, I would drive around 50 to 60 kph, why would I drive in 5th gear doing that speed, the car starts to shudder. If I'm in a lower gear and I need to brake I can control the car better, I don't know if that is right or wrong but it's my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Im not saying drive 50kph, drive in 2nd instead of first and 3rd instead of 2nd but at the speed you would be doing in the lower gear. Less wheel spin.

BTW if going down hill go into first and take the foot off, leave the car find its own pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Im not saying drive 50kph, drive in 2nd instead of first and 3rd instead of 2nd but at the speed you would be doing in the lower gear. Less wheel spin.

BTW if going down hill go into first and take the foot off, leave the car find its own pace.

I did that today and ended up skeeting sideways down a hill heading straight across a main road and for a wall..the handbrake wouldnt even work..only thing i could do was keep tipping the brakes..scarey stuff:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Best advice only go out for emergencies. But realistically we will still go out anyway. I know for the use they would get a set of snow tyres is what we all should have for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Ah yeah, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Whats the feeling on whether we'll see any fresh snow over the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Hoping Snow on monday, so i might have to stay at home, if its impossible to get anywhere :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

snuggles09 wrote: »
    I did that today and ended up skeeting sideways down a hill heading straight across a main road and for a wall..the handbrake wouldnt even work..only thing i could do was keep tipping the brakes..scarey stuff:eek:

Well your handbrake is never going to work like. It's about as blunt a way of braking as there is!

Some good tips from munster-mafia there. I can't believe how many people here have no basic understanding of how to drive these conditions. I can't remember ever being sat down and told but it just makes sense to me that you want to get have the car moving with as little spinning of the wheels as possible. I've no idea how that's not just common sense.

I was up in Tesco around half six. As we were walking from the car, a young fella (about 19) parked next to me went to head off in his A4. He was absolutely gunning it in 1st and obviously getting nowhere. 15 minutes later I eased off with low power from basically the exact same spot!

And just leave the weight of the car and gearing down slow it when you need to slow down or some to a stop. There's no real need to use the brake. Obviously different if you're doing faster speeds but I wouldn't be taking on any long journey unless it was totally necessary and would give myself loads of time to get there so that I could do it at a safe speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Trotter wrote: »
    Whats the feeling on whether we'll see any fresh snow over the next few days?

weather reports give more snow anyway, but it will be bitterly cold tonight, could get as low as -8

good post by nkay there, people just dont know how to drive in these conditions,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

I wasnt using my handbrake to stop..i was using it to park the car and basically leave it there as i couldnt get down the hill at all..parked the car and it just started skeeting down the hill by itself so had to get back in then and had no choice but to go down the hill

hope the roads are a bit better today but i doubt it..i'm not stirring..might take a careful stroll to the shops later for a few bits but thats it..fire lighting already..i love being snowed in:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

anyone been out on roads yet are they bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Drove to work just after 7 this morning, roads on my route weren't as bad as I expected. Cork road is ok. IDA is a bit like an ice-rink. Foot-paths look quite icy, saw a couple of people slipping by Superquinn. My route though felt a bit better than yesterday. I would rather not have to be out driving in it though, and would say if possible you'd be better off not going out in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Message to "civic minded" people, do not scrape the snow from in front of your house. Snow is much better to walk on than ice which is what you will be left with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I have never seen the roads in Waterford so quite,i was out last night and the roads are not that bad,there is no bad roads just bad drivers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

was driving around 2am, wasnt too bad last night, havent been out yet today but hopefully its still ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's very, very slippy out there today. Whatever melted from yesterday has refrozen, so I wouldn't be driving anywhere unless it's an emergency or you're confident in your driving skills.

Best tips I've picked up so far :

* Use the highest gear possible
    * Use the gearbox to help you slow down
    * Lower your driven tires slightly
    * Avoid excessive braking
    * Avoid excessive engine speed (i.e. If your not moving anywhere, more revs will not help you it'll make it much, much worse.)

Take it easy out there and leave enough room between you and the car in front and remember you're not the only person on the road.

No matter what you drive, be it a small city car, an expensive rear wheel drive saloon with ESP, TCS etc or a brute of a 4WD jeep you still have only four pieces of rubber connecting you to the ground. If those contact patches lose grip you'll quite quickly become a passenger regardless of what you drive. Nobody is invincible and the condition effect us all !

was in town earlier and got the bright idea of parking in darrers car park, it was an ice ring. town was empty but there was still a good few places open. Are we getting more snow later??

Just home from Dublin. The road was spot on til we hit south Kilkenny and it turned to mush. One lane is half treated and the other is ignored! Thomastown to the bridge in Waterford is the worst part of the whole M9. Be careful out there tonight.

Hows the forecast? I see some dirty clouds away to the South East but they're moving very slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

anyone any idea if the schools will be open in the morning?

anyone any idea if the schools will be open in the morning?

A few have informed WLR already that they'll be closing..
    Keep an eye here..

WLR FM Community Notices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

A few have informed WLR already that they'll be closing..
    Keep an eye here..

WLR FM Community Notices
    perfect..thanks pal.

Looking out to the south east now there seems to be dark clouds alright, but it doesnt seem to be moving our way just yet.

Im a useless weather forecaster anyway :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

angry_fox wrote: »
    was in town earlier and got the bright idea of parking in darrers car park, it was an ice ring. town was empty but there was still a good few places open. Are we getting more snow later??

Yes more on the way for next week Tue and Wen, could be a few light showers between now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are some very black clouds that seem to be pretty well overhead in Tramore.

Going by this we should get something soon!

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Going by this we should get something soon!

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Holy god :pac: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I seriously have to grow up - 28 years of age and I'm rubbernecking out the kitchen window every half an hour. I was too busy yesterday wrapping up a house move that I didn't even get the chance to fire a snowball. I've got wellies, extra leggings, hats, salt and gloves already to go - I want more snow, damnit. =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

ohh i want more snow!!! we dont need gatso vans to get us to slow down just snow!!! oddly enough i thought there would be more kids out playing in it , they dont seam to bothered where i live !! years ago i wouldnt go home till i was blue with the cold!!

Im hearing talks of a severe thunderstorm in the south east.... Just got the fire going now, got the supplies from tescos (beer and crisps) so im all set for a few days snowed in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd love to have an open fire, I'd kill for an open fire.

Was just out on the ORR and Dunmore road, its grand.

Advertisement