Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the story with Xmas in Oz?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Tis my first Xmas in Sydney Aussie land!. is hard to get into the Xmas spirit with the sun beating down most days. Is fairly strange seeing christmas decorations in this heat, but I love it! :D

Anyways whats the story with Xmas in Oz?. Particularly in Sydney. Whats good to do around this time of year and on Xmas day?. Is there anything to really not miss?. Or is it just like home, sit around get locked and watch reruns of only fools and horses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Feelgood wrote: »
    Tis my first Xmas in Sydney Aussie land!. is hard to get into the Xmas spirit with the sun beating down most days. Is fairly strange seeing christmas decorations in this heat, but I love it! :D

Anyways whats the story with Xmas in Oz?. Particularly in Sydney. Whats good to do around this time of year and on Xmas day?. Is there anything to really not miss?. Or is it just like home, sit around get locked and watch reruns of only fools and horses?
    Xmas in Oz is a non event, one of the worst things about being there IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Xmas day for me is a bit of an anti-climax as well, but hard to beat sticking the boat on the back of the car St Stephens/boxing day and heading off up to hawks nest for a spot of fishing for a few days.

New Years Eve is what Sydney does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah it's pretty crap in Oz tbh. I usually head to the beach early for a bbq and a swim. The afternoon is too hot to do anything so I just sit inside with the air con up full whack. Then watch a movie in the evening.

This year though I'm heading back to Dublin for 3 and a half weeks so it'll be super :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I actually thought there would be loads going on around Syd at Xmas :confused: Is there nothing happening Xmas day?. Is everything closed like home?.

New years Eve should be good alright Mandrake, am really looking forward to it. I went against everyones advice and moved into a place on darling harbour,
    should be a good spot to be for new years eve though...

Safe home Xavi, you will be flying into snow by the looks of things. I imagine Xmas in Ireland will be a bit dismal this year but all in all be good to spent it with the fam :D

Nothing open except from memory a few places mostly around Chinatown, Most people do Xmas day at home (Turkey/Ham and BBQ at the inlaws for me) most backpackers do Turkey/Ham sandwiches on Bondi Beach... never did it myself bit naff I think.

Boxing day is the Sydney to Hobart race which is a big day on the harbour, plenty of places to go drink the face of yourself like back home.... but since its Australia I would rather spend the time doing outdoor stuff instead.

NYE is standing room only with about a million, worth the experience although last year I did ball froze Time Square in NY this year I know I will be sweating my nuts off with the humidity this year ... Have you a bridge view from your gaff Feelgood?

• Advertisement

Ah its the missus first year in Oz too and we were just discussing what to do on Xmas day, wasn't planning on hitting Bondi on Xmas day either though dude. Fook that! :D

Hobart racing sounds like a plan alright, I guess I'm looking for something to do that can't be done at home?. I froze my nuts off in Times Sq about 4 years ago, was some experience but jaysus was a bit too packed in fairness. Only managed to have one beer the whole night cause the queues were just mental.

I have a partial bridge view but there is roof access where you can see the whole harbour and that. Its just at the back of the ibis hotel, balcony looks over Pyrmont wharf and a small glimpse of the bridge. Got really lucky!, Irish guy just bought the place and was happy to have a fellow Paddy looking after it for him, did me a good deal on $600/week for a 2 bed!. Usually around 800 - 850+ in that building, so am happy out for the time being :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

They had Christmas in July when I was over there, it felt christmassy for sure with the colder weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sarahb82

I was wondering exactly the same thing! what do people do xmas day in Sydney? I am here with a mate of mine from home and we dont know what to do with ourselves. I think we are going to just have a bbq in our house and then maybe see what happens. I have heard that the pubs have events on and you need to book into them in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dar_oz

Its our 1st x-mas in melbourne for my g/f and I, and just going around town shopping you wouldn't even know its x-mas here. No idea what we'll be doing on christmas day but probably won't be anything like home. Still new years should be much more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah some pubs have events on, like xmas dinner and the likes.

Australia is nothing like Europe when it comes to Xmas, since we have nothing else to look forward to for 3 months we focus entirely on xmas (in my opinion) while here the time just passes.

Christmas eve in an Irish pub is good, they play the music everyone is in a Christmas mood and is just good fun.

Usually Xmas day people go to beach (but there is no drinking or being drunk on the main beaches) or else BBQ in mates place etc

Boxing day (I'm using the aussie term!) there are races on in Randwick, it's free if you are international, and lots of people go, usually good fun.

It really is nothing like xmas over here, and xmas day is just a day off it seems. Lots of taxis around, so don't worry about that.

I found it weird at first, as not everyone celebrates Xmas over here, while in Ireland it seems everyone does - even more of a family celebration than religious holiday.

I'm organising a 12 pubs of Christmas this year on the 18th in Sydney if anyone needs an excuse for a santa hat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm a bit surprised at the replies tbh. Wouldn't of expected people exp to be so negitive.
    If people have turkey sandwiches at the beach then they've only themselves to blame.

I've had great christmas over here, its obviously not a patch on xmas at home with all the family and friends but its still a great week to meet up with all the friends over here. Last year I cooked (with help) the full xmas dinner for about 20 people. Then it was on the the rounds to various parties etc. Weather was crap though..

hussey wrote: »
    Usually Xmas day people go to beach (but there is no drinking or being drunk on the main beaches) or else BBQ in mates place etc

Boxing day (I'm using the aussie term!) there are races on in Randwick, it's free if you are international, and lots of people go, usually good fun.

It really is nothing like xmas over here, and xmas day is just a day off it seems. Lots of taxis around, so don't worry about that.

I found it weird at first, as not everyone celebrates Xmas over here, while in Ireland it seems everyone does - even more of a family celebration than religious holiday.
    Not all the main beaches are alcohol free. Coogee and Bronte are both ok to sit there with beers. Worth knowing for all of summer not just xmas.

Surprised it took so long for the races to be mentioned, its no spring festival, but international day is essentially irish day and is good banter.

I think one of the reasons that people celebrate xmas less here is basically because there are a lot more non christian communities in Australia.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons that people celebrate xmas less here is basically because there are a lot more non christian communities in Australia.

Or maybe its just over overrated in Ireland, The xmas decorations are up as soon as Halloween is over and you are straight into the silly season for the best part of 2 months, Traffic jams, parking stress and shopping frenzy that would make you think that the Apocalypse is coming .... Xmas is only 1 day go to mass, eat and drink too much and watch the repeats on TV and then basically the shops are open again 26th for the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

CiaranC wrote: »

In fairness, it's a non-event 'cos you don't have the friends and family around to catch up and party with.

As a Kiwi, I think that Christmas in Ireland is pretty naf and pretty damn cold/miserable too. A bunch of pantomines and ice-skating rinks don't replace familiar traditions any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

I'm organising a 12 pubs of Christmas this year on the 18th in Sydney if anyone needs an excuse for a santa hat!

We're organising a 12 pubs of Christmas in Melbourne on the 18th too if anyone is interested.....Starting in Little Creatures in Fitzroy then finishing up in town. Any takers let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im lucky in that my GF's family is here and they're Irish. Last x-mas we got pissed on x-mas eve, woke up on x-mas, opened the presents, had breakfast and tucked into more beer. Then onto the full traditional dinner, turkey, ham, stuffing, spuds, the lot. Had a great day! i do miss my friends and family at home, especially the stephen's day session :), but its not terrible here, just different. I hope to be at home for next christmas though.

The weather has s HUGE part to play IMO. It just doesnt feel like x-mas if its not cold outside.

Mackman wrote: »

The weather has s HUGE part to play IMO. It just doesnt feel like x-mas if its not cold outside.

* FLICKS ON THE FAN*

I hear ya brother! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Feelgood wrote: »
    * FLICKS ON THE FAN*

I hear ya brother! :D

Need something stronger than a fan here, 35 in Perth. Im currently perched directly beneath the air-con, i dont plan on moving either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wayhey.. 12 pubs.

We're organising a 12 pubs of Christmas in Melbourne on the 18th too if anyone is interested.....Starting in Little Creatures in Fitzroy then finishing up in town. Any takers let me know.

wayhey... 12 pubs... 18th december... we're in.:D.. whats your pub list??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

wayhey... 12 pubs... 18th december... we're in.:D.. whats your pub list??

Draft Plan so far is:
    Little Creatures
    Napier Hotel
    Southpaw
    Drunken Poel
    Public Bar
    Celtic Club
    Cricketers Bar
    Irish Times
    Carlton Hotel
    Dr Martins Tavern
    Phoenix Hotel
    Duke of Wellington
    Section 8

There is 13 there so one has to go and maybe not in that order. Going to finalise the plans in next few days so I'll post the plans then. Everyone more than welcome to come.

How many of you are planning to join us?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Most of the beaches are PACKED with families who funnily enough, are mostly from the UK so you have no problems finding some other Irish folk around. Down at Mullaloo beach where I spend Christmas's, most people will prop up an Irish, English, or Aussie flag where they're sitting around. Not to seperate themselves or provoke any anger, it's just what happens and nobody bats an eyelid :)

I love Christmas here. Wouldn't change a thing!

That's one of the parts I dislike. If I wanted to hang about with Irish folk I'd be at home. Same goes for hanging around Irish bars, I avoid them as much as possible.

I'd usually have a bbq down on Mullaloo as well but the novelty wears off by 11 or 12 when it's piping hot. I love the heat normally but give me the cold and a fire on Christmas any day.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's one of the parts I dislike. If I wanted to hang about with Irish folk I'd be at home. Same goes for hanging around Irish bars, I avoid them as much as possible.

That's the thing, what to do depends on what you like.
    Most of my friends are irish, not that I set out to only associate with irish. Just that I had firnds existing in oz, we all have other fireds out here, people we work with, a few of us have irish employers, so the work crews are mostly irish, knows a guy from home etc, out of my 3 "locals" two have a lot of irish in them.

I'll have dinner with my aussie work mates the days before the xmas (22nd i'd say) but xmaas day will be spent eating and drinking the friends, who happen to be irish.

I wouldn't be too up for hanging around with random irish familes on the beach though. Don't see the point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Anyone know where to get a decent xmas dinner in Sydney? Coogee Diggers are doing a xmas buffet lunch for $65.

Alot of the big hotels have seafood buffets but you have to have turkey and ham on xmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Hey Hussey, whats the pub listing for this? I was in Melbourne last year and it was pretty tame, wouldn't mind finding a few good bars on this night out

Hey Hussey, whats the pub listing for this? I was in Melbourne last year and it was pretty tame, wouldn't mind finding a few good bars on this night out

I'll put up a thread soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Anyone recall if the pubs are open on Christmas Night? Dont think they were on Christmas Eve.
    CiaranC wrote: »

Agreed. As said in Sydney at least its pretty much a non event bar dinner with your mates. The weather was utter sh1te, cold and wet last year for it, made it feel like home :pac: Unfortunately it then continued like that for another month pretty much.

Anyone recall if the pubs are open on Christmas Night? Dont think they were on Christmas Eve.

They are open Xmas eve (I know a famous one in bondi till 2am), and some are open xmas day - not sure till when though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Number 5

The Irish pub in Star City used to open on Christmas Day but it was a bit quiet when we were there.
    We did a cruise around Darling Harbour one year and it was lovely, food was great and back to a friends house later that evening for drinks etc

This year it will be a family occasion with 10 family members together, looking forward to it now.

Agree its not the same as home but make the most of what you are. The fun is what you make yourself

The whoel of Star City opens xmas day, I imagine most of the bars are going to be open so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Yeah, gotta say, I find Christmas weird in Oz too. The weather makes it, just... odd... And it doesn't have the same vibe about the place. However - that's handy if you're not really a christmas person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement