Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking dog in snow/ice

• 27-11-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hey all,

How do you manage to walk your dog in snow/ice. I have a large breed and I am dreading sliding down the road in the ice. It is belting snow at the moment and I want to go out in it but am dreading if he pulls me as he can get a little excited when we first go out. Otherwise he is grand on the lead. Has anyone any tips or stories of their escapades in the snow with their animals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

I'm going to wait a few hours and see what happensm before I take them out.
    It's the first time my two have seen snow and they were so excited...chasing the flakes and racing round the garden.
    They were jumping round the garden like spring lambs...it was funny to watch!

Dogs have 4 legs, my guy slipped once or twice last year but his other legs kept him upright!

Have to say the best thing about snow is making a snowball, throwing it, dog chasing it, then dog looking confused when said snowball disintegrated upon impact. Repeat!

Only thing I'd say is if your dog has a coat it'd be a good idea for them to wear it, it's chilly out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Snow is not the problem, it's when it gets compacted into ice. I fell on my bum quite a few times last year walking the dogs (and OH was a lot of help... buckled over laughing!). Good shoes are a must, anything with a bit of grip and even better if they are waterproof. Walking on grass is not slippy at all so maybe stick to that if you are worried. Take it slow at first until you have gotten used to it and once your dog has calmed down. Maybe bring something extra nice for him so that you can tempt him into calmness with tasty treats!

My lot were very impressed this morning, some were booting it around the garden and others were eating the snow (resulting in very cold faces!) but they all brought back in lots of snow balls on their feet! We're off for a walk soon, hope we don't freeze! As much as I like snow, I really hope it clears soon - really don't want a repeat of last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

you can get ice grips now for the bottom of your shoes. I got some in US but I did see they were on sale over here now but cant remember where :)
    they stretch over the toe and back over the heel of you normal shoes.

like these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ice+grips+for+shoes&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=4009332720&ref=pd_sl_40pb3vpk22_e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I was out this morning with my lad and the stray we are currently housing, my dog is fine on the lead, no pulling, but stray boy is a bit pully, I found sticking to the middle of the road (I was on a country lane) where the snow was 'un-touched' and crunchy so not slippy, plus I stayed looking at the ground most of the time!! All was fine until a neighbours un-neutered male giant retriever got out and followed us up the lane, 3 male dogs, 2 un-neutered, plus snow and icy roads, not a good combination and = 'heated debate' with (stupid twat) neighbour. Not a great start to the day.

I fell over twice last year, despite being really careful and I can't even blame the dog for pulling me, it was my own dumb fault!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

You'll look a bit silly but if you pull a pair of socks on OVER your shoes so the material covers the sole, you'll get great grip on the ice :) it's a tried and tested survival trick and saves you buying the things posted above. mine love the snow! I can't wait to get out with them later. the roads are treacherous out there folks do please take care. we were heading to dublin for the march and had to abandon the trip at kildare! crashes everywhere on the m7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I cheated and dropped my fella up to our local kennels this morning. Loads of snowy fun in a paddock with the person he loves most in the world. :mad:

(I pulled in and he tried to get out the window to Keith, then raced off to the paddock without even looking at me as I drove off. I am not impressed!)

I wont be able to do that every time, but at least I can get a bit of rest today now before work tonight.

Usually we wait until night and throw a ball around the green in front of the house for a half hour, then walk him when he's tired so less likely to get excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

adser53 wrote: »
    crashes everywhere on the m7!
    Oh really :eek: Just about to head up to collect my husband. Might go via naas.

I'm half hoping it snows again so I can ring work and tell them I'm snowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Thanks all for posting xx. I managed to get him out for a walk but had to cut it short due to compacted ice at some parts. He loved it :)
    I really hope that he does not put on weight if the ice keeps up this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

if you have a park or field near you, that's usually were i take zeus as its not icy and plenty of snow to throw for/at him :D

• Advertisement

Yeah I was throwing snow at him and he was jumping up to get it. However, he was getting a bit mental with scrunching up his nose like a dog would if he was angry at someone. Now at the same time I could tell he was really enjoying himself and eating it away and chasing after it but I was a bit nervous. Now he has never bitten anyone but still I had to turn away. How can I stop him reacting like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh really :eek: Just about to head up to collect my husband. Might go via naas.

I'm half hoping it snows again so I can ring work and tell them I'm snowed in.
    23_33_15.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxdm824YYIE

Just left kildare and got to Newbridge without any hassle, the motorway has thawed a lot since earlier. hope you got up and back ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My lot have had a whale of a time in the snow. I walk them early and live in an area where they don't need to go on a lead at all if I head in the right direction. I was out with them about 7.30 this morning

Even the old girl who usually just plods along beside me was running around with the others :D

The only problem we have which I need to watch is compacted snow sticking to the hair under my springers feet. That can cause real discomfort for him :mad: I'm thinking of trimming his hair there to see if it helps him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I would love to let mine have a good run in the snow. Unfortunatly, she cut her paw yeaterday evening while playing with a couple of dogs and has a big bandage on her leg(had to take her back to vets twice cus it kept bleeding thru the bandage as she is still using it).
    So now when she is going out for a pee she has to be on leash with a freezer bag wrapped around the bandage:(

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hi Jinxi

Just after reading your thread here and thought I'd let you know because this just sounds way too familiar to me and bringing back horrendous memory.

Please watch that bandage carefully and dont leave it on too long ... my puppy had a bandage on for weeks due to a hairline fracture in her leg, depsite the bag around the bandage, it still mnaged to get wet.
    the bandage was being replaced every 3 days by the vet but once it was too tight. This was enough for the paw to become infected. one night the puppy was in such pain she was throwing herself agaisnt the walls from the pain.
    When I brought her to the vet (in the middle of the night) the smell was unbelievable. the vet said the bandage had to go at that stage and luckily enough the fracture had been fixed by then. she was on antibiotics and some kind of morphine for 10 days.

SHE NEARLY LOST A LEG. now she recovered 100% and enjoying being a puppy but this cost me 3 sleepless nights, 450 euros and 8 visits to the vet 50 miles away !!!

Hope you dog will do well, bets of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

verywell wrote: »
    Yeah I was throwing snow at him and he was jumping up to get it. However, he was getting a bit mental with scrunching up his nose like a dog would if he was angry at someone. Now at the same time I could tell he was really enjoying himself and eating it away and chasing after it but I was a bit nervous. Now he has never bitten anyone but still I had to turn away. How can I stop him reacting like that?

Hard to tell without seeing what you're talking about, but if he was jumping around and being happy while he pulled that face then maybe he was just wrinkling his nose at the weird feeling of the snow on his face? Kind of like pulling a face rather than doing it because he was angry if you know what I mean? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

My lot have had a whale of a time in the snow. I walk them early and live in an area where they don't need to go on a lead at all if I head in the right direction. I was out with them about 7.30 this morning

Even the old girl who usually just plods along beside me was running around with the others :D

The only problem we have which I need to watch is compacted snow sticking to the hair under my springers feet. That can cause real discomfort for him :mad: I'm thinking of trimming his hair there to see if it helps him

Maybe a long shot but years ago we used to put vaseline on the bottom of the ponies' feet when they were turned out in the snow - it helped to stop snow from balling up between their horseshoes - otherwise they'd be walking on little stilts made of snow after a little while! Might stop snow from sticking to your guy's paws? Or maybe you could try getting him some little booties :)

dvet wrote: »
    Hard to tell without seeing what you're talking about, but if he was jumping around and being happy while he pulled that face then maybe he was just wrinkling his nose at the weird feeling of the snow on his face? Kind of like pulling a face rather than doing it because he was angry if you know what I mean? :)

Thanks for that. Yea I reckon he wasn't cross but too excited. Between running around and trying to eat the snow he looked in his element :)

Geez falabo...your story has scared the wits outa me. She isn't on painkillers because she doesn't seem to be in pain, so I'll keep an eye out if that changes. The vet did say that if the bandage gets wet to cut it off because it will swell and hurt her.
    She is so miserable, mainly because she wants to be outside in the snow. She keeps getting up and hobbling hopefully to the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

hey Jinxi

looks very similar to the bandage my dog had ... it didnt just "hurt" her, she was in agony and very distressed ... but that was after a few weeks of the leg with a bandage on 9even thought replaced every few days)

I still wouldnt leave it on more than 3-4 days ... because if it's too tight there will be no blood circulation. keep up posted on how she's doing please :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two were out in the snow pretty much all day(8am til about 4pm), I'm bloody knackered!
    I walk in the soft snow and avoid the ice, get a good pair of walking boots and you should be fine. It is tiring though, walking in snow and ice.

What is it with snowmen and dogs? Every snowman we pass, my fella cocks his leg:D

Only one he didn't pee on(yet) was the snow-polarbear my daughter and her friend made, here's a pic.
    [IMG][/img]149836_1734541248525_1388397811_1849665_4789372_n.jpg

[IMG][/img]155368_1734540888516_1388397811_1849663_7081613_n.jpg

Nice polar bear Mymo:D
    Another good thing about the snow, now I know when Lilly has peed when she has been in the back yard because of yellow snow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Jinxi wrote: »
    So now when she is going out for a pee she has to be on leash with a freezer bag wrapped around the bandage:(
    I feel your pain lol we're 2 weeks into crate rest so the same situation - our guy had an op on his leg. He had his stitches and bandages removed on tues thou do no more freezer bags! :pac: A bit worried now thou cos the wound seems to be a bit swollen today so I'm going to call the vets tomorrow - otherwise he's in great form. Everytime I take him out to the loo (he's allowed out 3 times a day and straight back in) - his bum goes up in the air and he wants to play in the snow - poor baba!:rolleyes:

PS you can get little booties in the pet shop that'll go over the bandage and you don't have to worry about the bag getting a hole in it - also you don't have the rattle of a freezer/drip bag annoying you and the dog,

Lilly is the exact same. Snow to her means the same as the leaves down the park...I kick it, she chases it! WHich is tough when she is on the leash. Crate rest has made her dislike the crate now:(, so she has another bed now(in pic), which she isn't allowed out of.
    She doesn't mind the freezer bag as it now means walk. When I pick it up she rolls on her back and holds up the bandaged leg!!:rolleyes: Unfortunatly it has no grip so she has slipped twice and whacked her chin(on grass so not serious). Bandage off on Monday and won't be driving to pet dhop tomorrow due to roads, but thanks for the advise for next time(hopefull there won't be a next time but with a mental pup like her I'll hedge my bets):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

dvet wrote: »
    Maybe a long shot but years ago we used to put vaseline on the bottom of the ponies' feet when they were turned out in the snow - it helped to stop snow from balling up between their horseshoes - otherwise they'd be walking on little stilts made of snow after a little while! Might stop snow from sticking to your guy's paws? Or maybe you could try getting him some little booties :)

Wow thank you at's a great idea, i'll try that in the morning before i take him out and let you know if it works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Ha ha the snows nearly as tall as our dog today.... we have a wee jack russle... hilarious to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Im a bit worried about my pup the other dogs fine but the pup is only 4and a half months and a small yorkoe woth very short hair shes gettin cold quick i have a jumper for her but cant put it o when sjes out in ot as she will get wet and colder? Im worries about her walk? Shud i skip it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I walked two dogs up to my parents yesterday which is over a mile, I didn't mind the snow too much but it's when I hit the slushy parts I had a hard time. Thank God it was just the one bit. A good pair of boots is handy when you're walking in those conditions :D

Advertisement