Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for 8Mb/s, Being capped at 1, 4 and now 6Mb/s

• 27-11-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have had a 8Mb Vodafone DSL package for the last couple of years and until recently I was getting download speeds of about 7.5Mb/s.

A couple of week ago my connection went to crap and my download speed went to below 1Mb/s (tested with Black-knight and other tools). A couple of phone calls to tech-support revealed that my line had be "upgraded" by Eircom to ADSL2 but that my download speed had been inadvertently reduced. They promised to fix it.

A few days later I noticed my download speed had been increased to 4.3Mb/s. Better but not the 8Mb/s I was paying for. Back to tech support again and another couple of phone calls plus some line testing revealed that there was no problem with my line it was just being limited. I could have told them this because it wasn't a variable 4.3Mbs as you might get from a poor line it was a solid 4.3 indicating a hard cap. Apparently they wrote off to Eircom to increase the limit again.

Anyway another week has gone by and my connection has increased to 6.79Mb/s. I am pretty sure this isn't a line quality issue because a) it is a rock solid 6.79 not a jittery reading gas you would get with a poor line and b) they tested my line last week and assured me it was good for up to 12Mb/s.

What do I need to do to get the 8Mb/s I am paying for, or at least to get the 7.5Mb/s I ued to have with the old ADSL1 line. I know they will tell me it is a line quality issue but I really feel it isn't. For whatever reason someone really doesn't want to give me 8Mb/s.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you posted your line stats from your router people here would be able to tell you if they're any good or not to give you a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You are not paying for 8Mb, you are paying for "whatever your line supports up to a maximum of 8Mb".

Advertisement