Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New school for son.Fingal community college?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I hope some of you may be able to help me. I'm moving to the Swords area and need a school for my son. He's in 2nd year. I was thinking of Final CC because they are a fairly small school. Does anybody have any experience of this school? I'd love to find out what the general behavior is like. I obviously don't want to send my child to a school where a large number of students are wild. He is fairly quiet and has been well behaved in school up to now! Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I'm from Swords & a friend of mine has taught in this school, I wouldn;t recommend it if your son is fairly academic to be honest - St Finians in my opinion is a better school though it is much bigger.
    Hope this is of some help - PM me if you want more info

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All schools have great kids, eejits, slackers, studious types, good and bad teachers.

Drop in to the schools you are considering and ask can you have a look around, or observe during a break. A school without major discipline problems will have no problem with your request.

Regardless of which school you choose, your backing and the upbringing you have given your son will by far be the overwhelming influence on how he will do in any school.

I am involved in visiting schools for assessment purposes and there is really little difference in the standard of work between schools, despite what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

just another option for you is the New secondary school in Donabate. They only have up to 3rd year at present - a brand new building is being built at the moment and will be completed by the summer. I have one child there at the moment and another one will be starting next september.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 superdooper

Thanks for the advice. I will check out Finians. I dont want to go too far afield. We will be new in the area and I want to try and make it all as easy as possible. I never would have thought about checking out the school at breaktime, so thanks for that tips own devices know schools all have a mixed bunch of students, but I have heard horror stories from friends. I really dont want a fairly good child to end up in a school where he is left to is own devices because the poor teachers have to deal with a large amount of bold students. I have some reservations about sending him to a VEC at this time of cutbacks. Im afraid cutbacks will force a lot of ESL students and others who need extra attention into the VECs. I really do think that while results might be similar across the board, that some schools have no choice but to focus too much on the bold ones. The good ones and ones with family support etc will work themselves and get grinds.

Advertisement