Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Problems

Options
  • 27-11-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a student email address which I'm trying to connect to Windows Live Mail.

I can receive mail no problem through it, but I can't send emails. The instructions given by the University suggest that it is only possible to access the smpt server on the campus network, but if I want to connect from a home network, I should be able to use my network provider's server. Only trouble is that I'm not really sure how to do this.

Is it possible to send emails via another network's server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Who's your ISP? While at home you should be able to use their SMTP server. If it's true that your e-mail can't be accessed from outside the campus network then your own ISP is probably your best/only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dors640

I'm with Virgin Media. So I can just plug their server settings in and send emails using their server? Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Dors640 wrote: »
    I'm with Virgin Media. So I can just plug their server settings in and send emails using their server?

Try it if your campus doesn't allow any other option. It looks like the outbound server should be smtp.virgin.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dors640

That worked grand! Thanks very much for the help!

Advertisement