Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC FiberPower broadband... warning!

• 27-11-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A few weeks ago a decided to switch from Vodafone to UPC. The main reason was that Vodafone offered 24Mb link (real speed was ~20Mb - I was quite happy with that) for 56 euro per month vs. UPC 30Mb FiberPower for 42 euro (no VAT included - I missed that, but it's my fault) and 7,75 euro for broadband only (I missed that completly and again no VAT included). Total cost of UPC broadband is now ~60 euro which is still quite OK.

Now the warning: an UPC salesperson who took my order promised to cancel my previous agreement with Vodafone - that never happened (see emails below) and "forgot" to tell me that the installation is free, but there is an "equipment activation fee" - 30 euro. That 30 quid + extra bill from Vodafone cost me 100 euro, that I didn't plan to spend. If you're planning to switch - do it, but make sure you cancel your previous broadband and get a good wifi router. The cisco router UPC gives for free is worthless. It breaks connection every 10 minutes, so I bridged it with my old D-Link - now works perfect.

The emails to/from UPC:

Ref: 1119228
    [..]
    Please be advised that can you please contact your previous provider in relation to the cancellation of your services.
    [..]
    Kind regards,
    Sujith

UPC Customer Support Team

--Original Message--
    Date: 23/11/2010 23:18:37
    To: customer.support@upc.ie
    Subject: Incident forwarded : #101123-000146 Category:
    [..]

---- Incident thread
    Hi, Can you confirm that you canceled my broadband connection with my _previous_ internet provider as it was agreed when I ordered UPC broadband? I just received a new invoice from Vodafone. My details: UPC Account number:************

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

UPC don't use the same network as Vodafone. That's like asking Vodafone to cancel your TV for you, only the account holder can do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

paulm17781 wrote: »
    UPC don't use the same network as Vodafone. That's like asking Vodafone to cancel your TV for you, only the account holder can do it.

You can bill UPC for that extra cost. There is a recording of the salesman undertaking to cancel for you and that makes it contractual under the distance selling regulations.

Raise a formal complaint first by email, if UPC do not credit you in full for expense incurred you may take the dispute to Comreg after 10 days.

Read http://www.upc.ie/pdf/Customer%20Charter.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Thanks for the info about the Comreg. I already asked UPC support where I can make a complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

PrzemoF wrote: »
    The emails to/from UPC:

Ref: 1119228
    [..]
    Please be advised that can you please contact your previous provider in relation to the cancellation of your services.
    [..]
    Kind regards,
    Sujith

UPC Customer Support Team

From reading the above it sounds like he accidentally the cancellation!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

No matter what any isp may say to you you are far far better off to cancel the old contract with your ips yourself. The contract is between yourself and the isp - make sure you end it yourself or confirm that it has been ended in the event of a transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yea I have to aggree with dub, vodafone is on a total different broadband wave than upc. cable v dsl?
    One is coming through your pipe & the other is the phone line, there is no transfare of anything here(like if a phone number port) you should have done it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

I canceled Vodafone myself but they have billed me twice. I told them this was the last time i would ask them to cancel i also told them the conversation was being recorded and if i get billed again i will be forced to take action. Some of these companies are pricks if you ask me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In short even if UPC said they'd cancel your Vodafone account (which they can't) Vodafone won't speak to them about your account as doing so is breach of DPA.

In addition in-line with Vodafone's T&C's its your responsibility to cancel the service with them not a third party.

Given Vodafone's and UPC's networks are physically seperate and different its not like changing from Vodafone to Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I was quite happy with that) for 56 euro per month vs. UPC 30Mb FiberPower for 42 euro (no VAT included - I missed that, but it's my fault) and 7,75 euro for broadband only (I missed that completly and again no VAT included).

VAT is included in that price. All consumer prices must be quoted inclusive of VAT, it's the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

nani17 wrote: »
    I canceled Vodafone myself but they have billed me twice. I told them this was the last time i would ask them to cancel i also told them the conversation was being recorded and if i get billed again i will be forced to take action. Some of these companies are pricks if you ask me

We cancelled with vodafone on the 6th of september and hey are still billing us, there scum end of story

With regards to upc there fine when downloading movies of music but are s/hite when using it for gaming cant get a decent connection with it for xbox live, lag all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

knock off the firewall and ip flood on your routher that should help your online gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

rob808 wrote: »
    knock off the firewall and ip flood on your routher that should help your online gaming.

already done that still getting lousey connections, its fine during the day but come 8 bells everything goes south

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rob808 wrote: »
    please don't tell people to turn off the firewall on their router, it is a stupid thing to do.

it's like someone asking you how to get out of a house and you recommending leaving all the doors and windows open 24/7 as the best way to make sure they can get out. yes it'll probably do the job, but you're also effectively letting everyone else in with no control over who comes in or where/how.

if you want to give constructive (rather than dangerous and ill advised) information then point them to page 51 of the EPC2425 manual that explains port forwarding.

then send them to http://portforward.com/cports.htm so they can see exactly what ports they need to forward for any given game etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed, turning off your firewall is just plane stupid....either setup port forwarding or just put up with your problem if your not prepared to actually learn how to setup port forwarding.

If disabling all your secvurity is the best you can come up with to resoleve an issue then you might be better off not on the internet in the first place imho.

Looks like UPC is watching boards.ie or they have an amazing customer support. I got a few emails and a phone call recently :-) Now I'm waiting for a call back to get info if they are using MAC filtering - if they are not, I could get rid of that UPC cisco router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The modem is provisioned by MAC address, so you can't get rid of the modem they supply. If you can get your own Cable modem, then you may be able to get them to provision it, but this is not guaranteed.

All ISPs watch this forum.

They should watch the space - it's the best and most honest feedback they can get :-)
    I just got another call from UPC 10 minutes ago. They will send a technician to check the line. I also got confirmation that my own router connected to the cable is not an option. My own router must be connected to the USP router. The girl from tech support really knew what she was talking about - it wasn't the usual "did you reboot your PC?" talk. :-)

Advertisement