Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Faded paintwork - what is the hit on resale price vs Respray costs?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi,

I've a 2002 Honda Jazz 1.4 Milano Red, 75k miles, 2012 NCT.
    Paintwork is fading, most noticeably on the roof and bonnet where it has gone a bit pink.
    It is clearcoated so the only way to correct the paintwork is a respray.
    Reckon an 02 Jazz with no issues would sell privately at €2300 - 2500?

Want to sell it, looking for a realistic idea of what it could sell for as is.
    How much would a repray of the outer body typically cost?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I suffered the pain of a Milano Pink Honda too, got it sprayed but wasn't overly happy with the job, for a decent job you're looking at around 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Even with a clearcoat, surely some improvement of the current colour is possible. Maybe the clearcoat is a bit cloudy leading to the pinkish appearance? I know nothing about paint though tbh.

Polish up and sell as is or just sell as is. Considering spending cash on getting it painted is sheer madness

mickdw wrote: »
    Even with a clearcoat, surely some improvement of the current colour is possible. Maybe the clearcoat is a bit cloudy leading to the pinkish appearance? I know nothing about paint though tbh.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Polish up and sell as is or just sell as is. Considering spending cash on getting it painted is sheer madness

I tried the polishing thing, even gave the car tp a pro and it made bugger all difference. The Milano Red is really really thin too so can't even be cut back, unfortunately the only thing that will fix it is new paint.

Probably not wise to spend that money on a car, chances are you won't see it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Dont suppose a respray of just the roof and bonnet is a runner? Much less costly, not a lot of prep/ stripping etc. and if you do the prep work yourself it can bring the cost down too.

• Advertisement

sogood wrote: »
    . and if you do the prep work yourself it can

......... result in a complete and utter disaster ;)

......... result in a complete and utter disaster ;)

Bit of a generalisation there! No regard for someones level of competence or otherwise. I had a full respray done on a previous car and helped to keep the cost down by doing a lot of the prep, as in, removing badges, bumpers, chrome trim, door handles, lamps etc. No fiasco, just a significant saving...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

get some proper cutting/rubbing compound and boof it out and then seal it
    will looks like from factory for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Did you read the first post? He says the paint is under the clear coat, and can't be buffed back to the original colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

Did you read the first post? He says the paint is under the clear coat, and can't be buffed back to the original colour.

i did read it but from my experience, cutting compound will cut the coat and enhance the original paint
    all u have to do after is to use a proper sealant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Spray the roof & bonnet matte black and hope some young(ish) fella will take it off your hands?*

*This is only a half-serious reply ;)

sogood wrote: »
    Bit of a generalisation there! No regard for someones level of competence or otherwise. I had a full respray done on a previous car and helped to keep the cost down by doing a lot of the prep, as in, removing badges, bumpers, chrome trim, door handles, lamps etc. No fiasco, just a significant saving...................

........... I'd regard prep work as the actual activity of preparing the panels that are going to get painted ;)

........... I'd regard prep work as the actual activity of preparing the panels that are going to get painted ;)

True also, and not exactly rocket science either. Remove the bonnet and any brightwork, rub down faded top coat, clean same, ready for the professional to get started= prep work, = savings?
    Rubbing down and cleaning roof, cleaning same, masking off = prep=savings?

As I said, it worked for me and had no adverse effects.

feelites wrote: »
    i did read it but from my experience, cutting compound will cut the coat and enhance the original paint
    all u have to do after is to use a proper sealant

Won't work with this paint... believe me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

+1

You'd have to get more back then the 2K you spend for it to be worth it.

And you won't.

Advertisement