Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this Autumn still....

Options
  • 27-11-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

think this is the right forum for a simple query regarding the year's cycle.

what months belong to each season.

I think November belongs to Autumn but the ever argumentative one says Winter. I will go with the majority view.

please don't let current adverse conditions sway your answer:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Spring: February, March April

Summer: May, June, July

Autumn: August, September, October

Winter: November, December, January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

In Ireland we follow the Equinox, this means that our seasons are equally spaced throughout the years.

Spring: February/March/April
    Summer: May/June/July
    Autumn: August/September/October
    Winter: November/December/January

However: The real seasons shift and an Irish spring may come as late as May and last a two or three days only. We often have a splash of Summer in early June and drop back into winter and finish our summer in August or September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Autumm: September/October/November
    Winter: December/January/February

These are the official autumn/winter months in Ireland and I agree with them.

I really can't see how February can be classed as a spring month, it is every bit as cold as January on average, if not colder. November's average temperature tends to be slightly warmer than that of March so you really could not class it as a winter month despite that fact that it can be cold at times. It can snow with equal vigor in April too but you certainly could not class that month as a winter one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hzhang

Not sure about Spring, Autumn and Winter. But I am pretty sure there is at most 1 week of Summer in Ireland if we are lucky enough.

Heard a over played joke before, which are two days that Irish people most enjoy? Answer: Christmas and summer.

You see my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I really can't see how February can be classed as a spring month, it is every bit as cold as January on average, if not colder. November's average temperature tends to be slightly warmer than that of March so you really could not class it as a winter month despite that fact that it can be cold at times. It can snow with equal vigor in April too but you certainly could not class that month as a winter one.

Where did you see that these were the official autumn & winter months in Ireland?

As others have said I was always under the impression that it was:

Spring: February, March, April

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Where did you see that these were the official autumn & winter months in Ireland?

As others have said I was always under the impression that it was:

Spring: February, March, April

Equally, I could ask you where did you get that impression from? November is an autumn month. It is classed so by our own met service even, which is good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

winter The coldest season of the year between autumn and spring , when the Sun is mainly in the opposite hemisphere. Astronomically this is the period between the winter solstice and the vernal equinox, which covers the months of December, January, and February in the northern hemisphere, and June, July, and August in the southern hemisphere

A Dictionary of Environment and Conservation. Chris Park. Oxford University Press, 2007. Oxford Reference Online. Oxford University Pres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

A common question often argued about in Ireland (the rest of the Northern Hemisphere English speaking world, generally accepts the meterolgical seasons)

There are both meterological and traditional seasons.

.1 Traditional celtic seasons:

Autumn -(starts Lugnasa) Aug. Sept. Oct.
    Winter - (starts Halloween) Nov. Dec. Jan.

2. Meterological seasons:

Autumn - Sept. Oct. Nov.
    Winter - Dec. Jan. Feb.

Both are correct in their own respects, and as is often seen the weather takes no notice of seasons.

I find the traditional seasons more accurate regarding summer in the West; May is more summer like than spring and May and June make up the bulk of the summer, which often turns wet by August.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

we only have 2 seasons. the wet season, and the rainy season.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

i was taught in school that summer was may june july. It was only last year i realised other people had different opinions on it, when the weather forecaster referred to august 31st as the end of summer. :O That really messed with my head! But I still go by my original thought, which would put us in winter now. Apparantly its only ireland that has this idea, according to wikipedia if i remember rightly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

natsuko wrote: »
    august 31st as the end of summer. :O That really messed with my head! .

What you need to keep in mind is the seasons are broken equally around the equinox.

Mid summer sun over tropic of Cancer
    Mid autumn over the equator [descending]
    Mid winter over the tropic of Capricorn
    Mid spring over the equator [rising]

Weatherwise our seasons move. Typically our Spring is two weeks any time from February to May. We may go into suspension then and not actually have a summer at all, it's not uncommon. Then in autumn we might get a lovely few weeks of warmish weather, in other words our summer [weather] arrived late.

BTW, in England they officially recognise August as a summer month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

In my opinion, winter is more like 4 - 4.5 months - november december january and february and half of march. Spring is until late june, summer is july and august and autumn september and october.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

ootbitb wrote: »
    think this is the right forum for a simple query regarding the year's cycle.

what months belong to each season.

I think November belongs to Autumn but the ever argumentative one says Winter. I will go with the majority view.

please don't let current adverse conditions sway your answer:)

Meteorologically speaking at least, yes it is still autumn:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I always go with the met's Dec 1st- Feb 28th/29th as the three winter months. I always smile when someone says Feb 1st is the first day of spring and we have snow/frost and bone chilling winds more often than not. So this is still autumn to my mind,though it feels like the depths of winter....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

+1

This is usually what meteorologists classify as autumn and winter.

If you simply log onto the Met Eireann site and click on Climate and then Climate averages and extremes you'll see why.

As the above poster said, in many locations around Ireland and indeed the world February is often colder than even January and definitely, on average, colder than December and November.

The average high in Ireland for November is about 10 degrees.
    The average high for February is about 8 degrees. How then, from a weather point of view, could you classify February as really being spring and November as really being winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

For me...
    Summer - May 22nd to August 21st
    Autumn - August 22nd to November 21st
    Winter - November 22nd to March 21st
    Spring - March 22nd to May 21st
    ...this is fairly close to the weather patterns for Ireland I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If autumn can be -9, then i think winter could be interesting . . .:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

thanks for those.

perhaps it is evidence of the changing seasons ie met eireann <100 years,celtic lore>1000 years.

Not a Luddite so going with the met lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Equally, I could ask you where did you get that impression from? November is an autumn month. It is classed so by our own met service even, which is good enough for me.

No need to get snippy, I was asking a genuine question as to where you'd gotten the information from.

I got my information from what I was taught in school/told at him when I was a kid. Everyone else from around my area would have been taught the same.

Bazzo wrote: »
    No need to get snippy, I was asking a genuine question as to where you'd gotten the information from.

Sorry Bazzo, My post was not intended to be curt but I can see how it came across as being so. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If autumn can be -9, then i think winter could be interesting . . .:pac:

It's quite likely the winter as a whole, if we exclude the first two days of December, won't be as quite cold as this. I would love to be wrong, but we'll struggle to get a siberian airmass as cold as this visiting our shores again over the next three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,582 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Leaving aside all the scientific and rational arguments, I think that it is generally considered in ireland as already stated (summer May, June, July, etc) but in England it all moves on a month so
    Spring is March, April, May,
    summer is june, july, august,
    autumn is september, october, november and
    winter is december, january february.

I'm not arguing that either is 'correct' just that this is the generally accepted view in my experience.

Advertisement