Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck brew

Options
  • 27-11-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I transferred my current (and second) brew to secondary too early. It's now been sitting at 1.016 since Tuesday (this is Saturday).

Is it safe or wise to bottle at that gravity? Is there anything I can do to bring it down a little further?

It's a Belgian Tripel (Brupak). Original gravity, on 9 November, was 1.052, approx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

bottle into plastic pets and you be grand ive bottled around that before no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Thanks, Wuben. I wonder what the final gravity (before bottling) should be?

It's the Brupak Belgian Tripel, but I don't see that info on their website.

Does anyone know roughly what it should be?

EDIT: 1.01 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Was this the Brupaks all grain mash kit you did? If you mashed high at 69C you would get more body in the beer and the final gravity would finish higher. It may well be finished at 1016 but not sure. Is the beer warm enough 18C+ to fully feremnt out. I did a brupaks mash kit last year and it turned out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Forgot that the Brupaks beers of the world do a belgian triple. Is the beer still at 1016 and is it warm enough. You could rouse the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter gently,no splasing with a sanitised spoon. The kit could be done at 1016 but not sure.

• Advertisement

Trouble is, Mayto, I transferred to secondary without checking whether it was finished! So the yeast is gone.

After a week or so, I lashed in some "brewer's yeast" from the local health food shop, and gave her a good stirring. Nothing doing since, though, and that's a few days now.

I'm reluctant to bottle, unless I can get my hands on some plastic bottles, as wuben suggests.

And I certainly don't want to dispose of it! But if it's not going to be worth drinking, then it's just taking up space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ci2co

I don't think you'll get it further down. It is as far as it will ever go. High final gravities is just one of those things when using extracts.

Also, by transferring to a secondary does by no way mean that the yeast has gone. There's enough yeast in suspension. Would not worry about that.

If the hydrometer readings are the same over the last few days it is safe to bottle. I would not use PET bottle either. Just use glass. Don't over carbonate. It'll be fine. Let it sit at room temp for 2 weeks and then move it to your eg your shed for another month.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Some of my Brewferm's haven't gone to 10 (1.010) either, but they were just fine.

Type Bottle Density (FG objective) (FG achieved)
    Brewferm Grand Cru 10 14
    Brewferm Oud Vlaams Bruin 10 11.6
    Brewferm Tarwebier 10 16
    Brewferm Abdij 10 14
    Coopers IPA 10 11
    Brewferm Triple (Spoiled) 10
    Brewferm Pils 10 12

If it's finished of it's own accord, just bottle away.
    Keep the priming sugar a little lower than the recomended quantity though, otherwise you could have a very sweet brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

pdebarra wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly what it should be?

EDIT: 1.01 or so?

Beer should ferment to a quarter of the original gravity, so you'd expect about 1.013. Most of the brews I've done finish a bit above that.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Should get time in the next couple of days to bottle. Wish me luck!

• Advertisement

My mother always said "Patience is a virtue". Turns out she was right!

My Tripel-to-be is now down to 1.010, and will be bottled this evening!

Go raibh míle maith agaibh, a chairde.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

pdebarra wrote: »
    My mother always said "Patience is a virtue". Turns out she was right!

and did she not tell you not to drink alcohol;)

Advertisement